Doctor said giving breastmilk aswell as formula is pointless

scaredbuthappy

Reaction score
I had a 7 week checkup at the doctors last week and told the nurse/midwife woman that i was expressing breastmilk and giving formula aswell. (had trouble bf so expressed, and now LO is having formula aswell because breastmilk isnt enough)
Anyway rather than just give her formula i wanted to keep giving her my milk although she has more formula than breastmilk now i feel at least she is having some. Well..... this woman told me the formula milk is cancelling out all the benefits and nutrients of breastmilk and she told me to either fully breastfeed or fully formula feed :wall:
Ive always thought that giving my baby even a drop of breastmilk is better than none and is still helping her but now ive been told otherwise. So basically has me been expressing every 3/4 hours for weeks and also having mastitis 4 times all been pointless??? Has anyone else been told this before? :(

I was told to either breastfeed or bottle feed by one midwife and then told by another that there is no harm in doing both, all midwives vary and have theyre own thoughts on it. You do what you think is best.

Hey :wave: I'm sure ANY breastmilk is good for baby!! I wouldnt listen tbh do what you think is best :hug:

What a load of crap :evil: stupid doctor

Of course your baby is getting the benefits of the breastmilk, why on earth would formula stop the benefits of breastmilk :x

You carry on as you are hun, any amount of breastmilk your LO has is going to benefit her :)

When I gave both I was never told anything of the sort! What aload of rubbush!

God what a load of rubbish! - Any amount of breast feeding is good for baby, whether you breast feed exclusively or supplement with formula.

...and doctor is an absolute twat! :twisted: :twisted: :roll: Combined feeding has been around for a looooooooooooong time and is tested to work. Dont let the doctor make you feel that your milk is not a good part of babe's diet. It is a load of bollox...just one question...the doctor wouldnt be male, would he?

Lisa

i combined fed for a while and im sure Fi got a lot of benefit from it, ignore them!

there are mixed messages surrounding this.some literature suggests that even a few oz of formula can strip the gut of the protective lining of the gut that breastmilk provides (therefore increasing the risk of allergies) However overall formula does not negate the benefits of breastmilk and even small amounts of breast milk will provide your baby with the nutritional and immunological properties they need. Suggest to your Dr they do more reading around it.

Pffft Rubbish, i had to combine feed and di so until Jess was 7 months and she's a perfectly healthy little girl. My HV was supportive and always said she was still benefiting from getting breastmilk. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

When Calum was in Special Care they put breastmilk and formula together! (because i didnt have enough to keep up)
Any breastmilk is good for baby, so keep going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back