Weaning advice please

happy-chick

Reaction score
Ive been wondering whether Ellie is ready for weaning for over a month as shes showing all the signs and has been so unsettled, hungry & crying all the time & I have worried myself so much about whether shes ready or not but simply could find another explanation for it... I honestly thought I wouldnt have a problem getting to 6months and would have loved to wait that long but its just not been possible. I kept thinking it was a growth spurt or stage that would pass but it hasnt. I got to a stage where theres no denying it and it unfair to leave her hungry as milk alone is just not satisfying her anymore.

After long discussions with hubby, my mum & health visitor we decided to wean her very slowly... im so glad we have too as ive seen such a dramatic change in her its amazing! She really enjoys food & is so much happier & settled, im confident that ive made the right decision for her.

We tried her with babyrice but it seemed to give her wind and she wasnt too keen so we tried the 4-6 months breakfast cereal that you mix with cbw and she loves it, shes taken to it like a duck to water!

I have a few questions:

1/ Can anyone recommend a good book that has recipes and guide for weaning?

2/ Does she need water with her food or is breast after ok?

3/ Do i need to wind her after food, she doesnt tend to bring any up?

4/ Do the bowl, spoon etc need sterilising?

5/ At the moment ive been giving her food at dinner time, would be ok to introduce some puree at tea time and give her a bit less cereal at dinner time?

6/ Any other tips and advice?

Thanks girls :)

i first introduced melissa to food at 4 months and like u i'd expected to wait for 6 but i thought she was ready too.

i started by only giving her 3 or 4 tiny tiny babyspoonfuls at tea-time, either fruit puree or baby rice. i didnt sterilise the spoon or bowl as at that age she was already grabbing toys etc and putting in her mouth, didnt see the point!

i was told by my HV breast milk is fine until they on proper meals dont need water as well, i only gave boiled water if millie hadnt done a poo

gosh its funny how i forget things so quickly like at what age millie could do certain things- but i *think* around that age was when i noticed she needed winding less as she had good head control, so i dont think i did wind her, but then i was only giving her such a tiny amount really until she was 6 months when i started making a real effort!

dont kno any good books, but valentine could probably write one! :lol:

Yeh she holds her head brilliant and always has, she also normally burps when i sit her up from feeding so needs winding alot less than she used to so I suppose just a quick winding after her milk would be ok.

Thanks Trix :) x

Anyone else?

1/ Can anyone recommend a good book that has recipes and guide for weaning? no sorry.. but if you put in baby food recipes in google loads come up..

2/ Does she need water with her food or is breast after ok? breast is fine but up to you..

3/ Do i need to wind her after food, she doesnt tend to bring any up? no..

4/ Do the bowl, spoon etc need sterilising? not if you dont want to.. if shes picking up toys and stuff and putting them in her mouth then no point but u can if u want to

5/ At the moment ive been giving her food at dinner time, would be ok to introduce some puree at tea time and give her a bit less cereal at dinner time? yes.. u dont have to give baby rice.. 1st foods are generally bland,sweet bright veggies.. like carrots, sweet potato, then potatoes, swede, etc..fruit puries.. apple and pear stewed in just water or mashed banana

6/ Any other tips and advice? not right now lol

As for the books id use www.amazon.co.uk[/url] and type in "baby weaning" im sure it will give you a great selection to choose from.

"Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner". Ive looked at this book in boots and when i start weaning ky im guna get it.

We have the Annabel Karmel baby and toddler book and also her 100 best puree books- they seem quite good.

I started Maisie with sweet potato on Monday as she was the same and she is so much more settled already- she has one of those baby ice cube measures of it at teatime.

I wanted to wait to 6m too and try BLW but she was miserable and so was I- for 2w she was feeding 4 or 5 times during the night and loads during the day too.

I thought I would try a little food and if she wasn't ready she wouldn't take it but she loved it and is already looking excited and opening her mouth for the spoon and it has only been 3 meals so far.

1/ Can anyone recommend a good book that has recipes and guide for weaning?

2/ Does she need water with her food or is breast after ok?

Breast is fine unless you want to give water

3/ Do i need to wind her after food, she doesnt tend to bring any up?

No she shouldn't need winding.

4/ Do the bowl, spoon etc need sterilising?

I wouldn't bother, she sucks your trousers :rotfl:

5/ At the moment ive been giving her food at dinner time, would be ok to introduce some puree at tea time and give her a bit less cereal at dinner time?

Yes sure it would, just do it slowly and don't introduce too many new things at once :)

6/ Any other tips and advice?

Nope

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back