I dont know what to do?!

Bev999

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I need a little help with what to do!! I work shifts as a paramedic (half my shifts are 12 hour night shifts) which I am struggeling with (also my trousers dont fit on nights due to bloating!!).

Due to 3 previous MC, I get really worried about telling people. I have not told work yet as they would take me off road duties and put me on 9 till 5 light duties, but then everyone at work would know (about 100 people.)

My mum and 2 best friends think I should go on light duties now 10+5 but I really want to wait till 12 week scan (still waiting for a date). Also last week I had a bleed (scan all ok, but some seperation which doc could not explain) and am still bleeding a little now - not fresh blood any more.

I get so scared about telling people and then it all going wrong I dont know what to do. Well off for a night shift now!! I would apricate any views.

Thank you. xxx

i would tell them 12 hour nite shift is alot and you could ask them to keep the information about the pregnacy private till after ur 12 weeks scan x

I work 10 hour shifts in theatres and didnt tell them until i was 14 weeks working int he anaesthetic room and all sorts. Totally your choice if you want to tell them id say, hope it isnt too bad for you x

I would tell them hun,

It may mean a lot of people become aware but at least you'll know you are doing all you can to be rested and stress free for bub

xxxxxxxx

Yikes - not sure I could have managed 12 hour shifts the last few weeks! Only thing that has kept me healthy is that work have been so good about giving me time off if sickness or tiredness is bad.

I'd tell them if I were you, though I understand your reluctance...

Good luck :)

As you say yourself 'your struggling' you already know you need to cut back , surely what you tell your bosses is private , it's still up to you to decide if and what you tell your colleagues , fib if necessary say your partner needs you around at nights whatever it's your business anyway. You need to put you and bubs first. All the best xx

It's not really advice but I just wanted to say that you do an amazing job! I think paramedics don't get the recognition they deserve :)

Couldn't I tell them and tell people u have hurt ur back which is why u need light duties?

after my last pregnancy didn't work out, i told work immediately this time. I knew there might be risks being exposed to anaesthetics and other chemicals through my job and i wanted to be able to say no to those things without letting people down. Yes telling work means they'll know if something goes wrong too, which is really really tough, but you and the baby are your priority. Only you know how you feel though, if you think there is any risk you are not prepared to take (and everyone is different), I'd tell work.

im having the same issue im very early but i work with radiation in the xray department which isnt a problem becasue we are well protected but in theatre cases we are stood for long periods of time and nights shifts are doing my head in but i havent told anyone yet as its just too early. but if your stuggling and are worried i would deffo tell ur boss' and then fib to your other work mates about stress or back or something they'll understand in the end.

Hey sweetie. I think telling work would be best. When I fell pregnant I tried to keep it a secret (but couldn't due to being sick). I've had a mc before so was really wary but figured that if, God forbid, something bad happened this time, I'd have to explain to work why I was off anyway, as I'd been really low and off work after my first loss, so they'd have found out in any eventuality.

Wishing you lots of luck xxx

I would have told them long ago. You need to go on light duties for the sake of your baby! how are you managing to lift patients? what if one of them gets violent and kicks you in the stomach??

i know its horrible having to tell everyone before the 12 weeks, as i had to announce to my work at just over 4 weeks! (I am a police officer). But you just have to do it. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back