• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How many hours sleep?

kellie80

Reaction score
I was just wondering how much sleep a baby needs. Aimee sleeps about 10-11 hours at night and 1-2 hours during the day so the most sleep she will have in 24 hours is 13. does this sound about right or should she be having more?

About the same as alex then! 11 hours at night and anything from 1 to 2.5 hours in the day.

he seems happy with that and is very rarely grumpy so i am happy to let him carry on.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Kim! I think its the day time naps that are going wrong. She will have 2 or 3 20 minute naps in the day then she will spend the rest being grumpy. Gonna have to sort it out.

I was just going to make a new post on nap times as Aimee is the same 11-12hours a night then 2 x 30-40mins naps. so very simular to you kellie.
Aimee had started to sleep 1 1/2 hours in the morning for about 2 weeks but has suddenly stopped again - iv been trying to get her to go back to sleep & have just spent the last 1/2 trying to get her back off but she was having none of it - just cried and cried til she was all blotchy. Now I feel bad for trying to get her to sleep when she obiously wasnt tired.... :roll:

Just had a look at your link Kim - 3 1/4 hours is quite a lot...
how the hell do we get our LO to have longer naps?!!!

In fact is there anyone on here that has a baby that naps for that amound of time.... (out of interest)

x

Well i'm trying to get Aimee to start having naps in her cot as she sleeps in the livingroom now and we all have to creep round. tried it this morning hoping she would have about an hour but she still only had 20 minutes, then was planning on putting her up again now but she fell asleep in her pram. So i'll have to try again tomorrow. If you have any luck Duds let me know how you did it.

Jodie is sleeping around 10 hours at night and about 5 hours in the day but she is only tiny still. She normal and very cute (off your pic)

Hi there obviously I don't have a baby yet but here in Denmark everyone leaves their babies outside to sleep in the garden with a baby moniter. I must admit I'm a bit scared of doing this but all my friends that have toddlers still put them out at least once a day for a couple of hours sleep. In the winter thay go out wrapped up in snowsuits etc and all sleep soundly. Apparantley its really healthy but I don't know much about it, it just always surprises me that the Mum's get a real break everyday so I'm definitely going to look into it some more :)

liam sleeps from 9 to 6.30 with a feed at around 4.

he cat naps through the day for anything between 10 mins to 30mins. he defies the experts.

skatty said:
Hi there obviously I don't have a baby yet but here in Denmark everyone leaves their babies outside to sleep in the garden with a baby moniter. I must admit I'm a bit scared of doing this but all my friends that have toddlers still put them out at least once a day for a couple of hours sleep. In the winter thay go out wrapped up in snowsuits etc and all sleep soundly. Apparantley its really healthy but I don't know much about it, it just always surprises me that the Mum's get a real break everyday so I'm definitely going to look into it some more :)

i often let mine sleep out side. not so much Dior as she is to big to sleep in her buggy but i put Harley in his pram with the sun shade or in winter i wrap him all up and let him nap in the garden sounds odd but the fresh air makes them sleep better..

Harley sleeps 13hrs at night then about 2hrs in the day not 2hrs al together though they are short naps that add to about 2hrs

bed at 7.30pm then wakes about 8.30am/9am

Did your babies automatically go into their routines or did you have to introduce a routine so they slept for those hours??

i introduced a routine from a young age :)

bath 6.30pm bottle 7pm. then into growbag then into cot :)

so im oviously doing something right :D

but how on earth do you stop them wanting milk in the middle of the night. i know i have 3 and i should know, but kieran slept through of his own accord from 6 weeks. joshua slept through from the age of 3 years and liam wakes once or twice during the night.

HELP sleep deprived mum here.

Harley just slowly started waking later and later, was 2am then 4am the 6am now its about 8am, so he done it all himself. with Dior i started giving water instead at night as she was only waking for comfort and suckling got her back to sleep she wasnt waking with hunger.
i was speaking to a woman at the baby show she says she can get any child to sleep through from 6weeks. if you stick to feeding every 3hours through the day. then baby dont need the feed at night??? some people are against it though and say its not fair on baby, but its worked for my two and im very happy :)

Dionne, how can you feed a baby that is so asleep you cant wake them properly. You say every 3 hours is that day & night until they sleep through the night.

Isabella is breast & formula fed, she is mainly formula now though

no the lady says if you feed a baby every 3hrs though the day for 12hrs then they dont need feeds through the night. at first when Harley was new born i didnt do it, as he was prem i think he needed the feeds. but after 8weeks i started sticking to feeding every 3 hrs in the day and putting him down to bed at 7pm, then before i got into bed about 10/11pm i would give him a dream feed then he wouldnt wake untill 8am :D
then i brought the 10pm feed earlier and earlier now its a t 7pm.

Dionne do you think my Isabella is to young at the mo or should I be trying this now? Did Harley cry when you put him to bed at 7pm (was he awake or asleep)??

its up to you hun, this woman that runs sleep advice for babies said to me, from the day they are born feed every 3hrs through the day then they wont need a feed at night but still give it, and by 6weeks they will sleep through????

Harley was already 6weeks old when i was talking to her, some people are very against it some people say it works.

i swear by routines though. when Harley was Isabella's age would feed him at 8am then every 3 hours untill 9pm he would have his bath at 6.30pm then 7pm i would put him in his growbag i would let him lay in his cot awake so i learnt to fall asleep alone and not with him holding him.

it was hard when he was 5weeks though i found that straight after a bath he would be out of it. so why dont you try doing baths later???

what is she sleeping now? if it was me i try and get LO to go from 12am - 6am then slowly bring that 12am feed forward, if they are asleep do a dream feed then once you get that feed to 10pm i found Harley was sleeping untill 7am

he finally slept all the way through when i put him down at 7pm then ild feed him at 11pm while he was asleep but one night i was to tired and left him and i was so shocked when he woke me at 7am :)

he slept better fom being in his own room to

Oh Dionne, she is a nightmare for feeding and sleeping at the mo. Here is yesterdays feeding - Bot - formula, Boob - Booby!!

Thursday 2am (bot) 3oz
5.40am Boob
7.20 Boob
8.40 Boob
10.00 3oz
12.50 Bot 2 1/2 oz
2.35pm Boob
3.30pm Bot 1 1/2oz
6.30pm 3 1/2oz + 10 min Boob
9.30 Bot 2 1/2 oz.

This is quite a normal day

She is very hard to put down when she is awake - how can I get used to going to sleep on her own

to be honest hun, i have no experience with breast feeding so i aint got a clue on that one????

Harley used to have

7am 6oz
10am 6oz
1pm 6oz
4pm 6oz
7pm 6oz
then bath and sleep
11pm dreamfeed 6oz

with the sleeping i had this problem real bad with Dior she would only sleep in my arms then i would tip toe to put her down. but then she would wake upset as where she fell asleep was not were she was waking up so she was confused.

shes Isabella in a mosses basket????

swaddel her nice and tight in a blanket tuck her arms in (she will feel snug as if you are holding her)
get 2 blankets roll them up put her in her basket or cot, put the 2 blankets close the her so she feels all squashed and tight, (makes them feel like they are in the womb)
as if she sleeps spreed out she might feel insecure or scared. i also used to get a muslin or my nighty from the night before and put it in the basket too.. maybe with a bit of your breast milk on it? this way she will feel close to you ect. it worked a treat For Dior, do it while she is awake but sleepy then just put your face near her untill she nods off, then she will get used to it and you can then just put her down and she will nod off.

all of this really helped for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back