How long are you taking off on mat leave?

EssJayPea

Reaction score
Just had a wake up call as I wanted to go back to work when LO is 6 months but we probably can't afford that so I'll need to go back sooner.

I only get the 6 weeks @ 90% then smp after that (although not sure how long that'll be paid for?) Xx

I'll take 9 months (until SMP ends) and if we can then I'll take the extra 12 weeks unpaid. We won't know until nearer the time time though.

Ideally I'd be a SAHM until bub started school but unless we win the lottery that won't be possible!

xxxxxxxxx

I am putting in for whole year off but it will be more like 10 months I think. I get 3 months full pay then 6 months SMP then 3 months unpaid. Have been saving like mad since we got back from honeymoon in Dec and have £2k in bank already. Also got a works credit union payout of £1300 coming up this Dec so hopefully all the new baby things we need won't take up too much of that cash and I can use it when I ain't getting any pay at all.

I work for myself, so over the next few months I will be looking for someone to do my roadshows for me. I will still be running the business from home, just not having to leave home. And I plan to do that until little un is full time at school.
I also found out today that as I am self employed and pay class 2 Ni, i'm entitled to Maternity Allowance of £128 a week from 26 weeks. That'll come in handy!

Last edited:
We've been saving like mad as well as paying off credit card....

By time bub comes we hope to have £10k saved :shock:

However OH's trade is very slow at the moment (he is a self employed decorator) and since January he has been on half income or less.

He is doing some courses [for safety certificates] and hopefully within the next few months he can wind down his business which he co-owns with his Dad and start appplying for jobs with big building companies ..... He'll be looking for jobs that are on a set salary.

If no joy he'll have to retrain, and fast :shock: :shock:

xxxxxxxxxx

I'm hoping to take 9 months, get 6weeks 90% pay and then smp, which is crap, but we can survive on my boyfriends wages luckily, just won't have much spare cash! But our families are great with us and know we won't go without anything!x

9 months but if i find another job and need to go back sooner then i wil x

I will be taking a year off then seeing if we can afford for me not to work at all. I only get SMP so things will be difficult but, we will just have to tighten our belts x

I'm hoping to take 9 months off too, but will have to see nearer the time.

I want to be off forever lol.

I don't want to miss anything Bubba does!!!
However, this is not realistic!
BUT, by trade, I'm a hairdresser, so I'll do my maternity leave for 9 or so months and build up my clients to do privately, then I can take bubba with me! :D

Seems like I'm lucky here. I get 6 months on 100% and then 6 months SMP. Planning to go back possibly PT sometime between 6 and 12 months - will see how I feel once the baby is here.

I'm not lucky enough to get all that time off, as I'm the main breadwinner. I'm taking my first 10 weeks early so will only get 16 weeks after the baby's born. I get 13 weeks 100% then 13 weeks SMP. I'm only taking Ordinary Maternity Leave, but depending on my job situation I may go back part time or supply. I'll be sad to go back when the baby's only 4 months old but by that time I expect he/she will be walking, talking and have written their first novel. What, I'm not a pushy parent, honest ;) xx

I hope to be taking 6 months. I get 4 months 100%, 2 months 50%. I might take another month with all the leave I accrue, I'll see wether i use that before or after though, depending on how tri3 goes! Problem for me is not financial but the hit my career will take. if i don't get back in the saddle quick it will be hard to get things going again! I'd love to be home for longer but financially we could do it but it would be a struggle.

Last edited:
I'm a freelancer and can wfh - although have been in an office 3 days a week until now (but on a contract). I'm not sure what's best really. I have money saved so that I could take 12 months off but I have regular work that I'm scared about losing if I take a break. Plus I do like what I do!!

I was going to just take a month off and then just try and continue as normal (but I'll be at home so can be flexible). People keep telling me I'll be too exhausted. I was just going to see how I get on. :oooo:

Do you think this sounds crazy?

ONE WHOLE Year starting in 6 working days lol, can you tell I am excited :)

I think I have decided that I will not be coming back to work here, however I will be looking to finish my studies for Events organising and seeing where I can go with that, it's about time I started doing something that makes happy when I am working and a happy mummy makes a happy Riven :)

xxx

Thanks for sharing your own plans.

My boss is a bit blase when it comes to the details of my leave so it's helpful to know roughly what you're entitled to x

I'm planning to take the whole 9 months paid (get 12 weeks 100%) then the rest SMP. Hopefully can afford to take the last 3 months unpaid to if i save a bit extra while im getting SMP x

Just chatted properly with oh and we are going to play it by ear. I may get longer but my work are flexible with me and even if I start going back one day and so on, I can take it from there. I wish I could win the lottery :) x

I'm hoping to take 9 months leave, though I'm keeping an open mind to taking 6 months.
I work part time anyway so will be working the same when I return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back