How do you rate the pain of childbirth?

Oh an i had gall stones when Jack was 3 weeks old and a gall stone attack is a hundred times worse than contractions!!! x

I had kidney stones and have to agree, far worse!

I had a silent labour so painless contractions but I can remember feeling overwhelmed by the intensity of transition and pushing - I don't think it's something you can describe.

You're not a wuss Sara! :) You endured labour/childbirth/brought a baby into the world...you're a fighter like the rest. :hug: Getting to the end with mum/baby well & healthy (however that happens) is what we all hope & pray for.

Last edited:
Everyone's different Hun, and every labour is different!! I'm in a lot more pain this time round already and haven't even got as far as labour yet!!! Lol

Everyone's different Hun, and every labour is different!! I'm in a lot more pain this time round already and haven't even got as far as labour yet!!! Lol

That's true. Harrison was back to back & induced due to no growth & had the cord wrapped round him 3 times. At the end it was very traumatic & he wasn't breathing when born after forceps in theatre... I've got to believe that any labour after that has got to be a doodle haha!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I spent the whole time saying I'd never do it again. The second they put Riley on my chest I changed my mind! The thing with g&a was that I was still in pain, I just didn't care. I was high as a kite!!

I hated labour, hated every single moment!

I was in pain from about 10pm on the Sunday night (11th Nov) and couldn't sleep through the pain. So I've not had a proper nights sleep since 10th November 2012 lol....

I was looking forward to labour, had no fear, had been doing my hypnobirthing CD and felt totally relaxed.

The pain was out of this world for me though, it blew my mind. I was quite lucid and calm between contractions but the actual contractions were fcuking horrid!

I lasted 36h at home and was 5cm when I went in but due to exhaustion and the fact I'd not eaten for over a day I stalled and ended up on the drip.

I actually preferred it once my contractions got closer together and more painful. After 1.5 days with them every 10 minutes (crippling pain but I was fine between them) it felt nice to 'progress'

I had some diamorphine, which made me as high as a kite but I refused an EPI. Dr who put my drip in told me I'd be begging for one but I never did!

Had a natural delivery, no tears or grazes and I found pushing the baby out liberating, def my fave part even though it stung like Hell.

All in all it was a lot harder and longer and more painful than I could have imagined BUT I hope to do it again some day and my little boy would have been worth the pain x a million !!

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I had induction, hormone drip and a failed epi.

I would describe it as hell. At one point I was begging them to cut my leg off as the pain in it was so unbearable. I also told them to just cut the baby out, I wasnt interested in risks to baby at that point either so dont feel guilty. I think thats normal! x

If owen hadnt of got stuck I prob could of coped with gas air and pethedine even tho he was back to back.. Because pain was prolongued over a long period ( hind waters broke 4 am sunday and had him emergency c section 7.12pm monday) I needed the epi I was tired and paining as couldnt lie down so walked around alllll day and night x

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

I got to 8.5cm dilated at home, no pain relief just a lot of back rubbing from hubby!

Got to hospital but still didn't have pain relief and out he popped 20 minutes later! 9 hours of labour in total. All contractions in my back as he was back to back

Definitely not the worst pain I've ever felt, my ibs is worse!

My lovely little man Spencer 28/2/2013 6lbs 3.5ozs

It's not like any other pain I'd ever experienced till then. It's very very sore, but not unbearable.

I didn't think it was going to be as bad as it was...I was in absolute agony!! There are no words to describe it quite frankly!

It didn't help that G&A was not available near the end of my labour...they whisked me down to theatre so they could try to use the ventouse...7 or 8 attempts using that...with no pain relief whatsoever was pretty tough.

I felt like my insides were being tugged out...but JJ still didn't want to come out! One emergency c sect later...

I said at the time he would be an only child...pretty much changed my mind within the first 2 weeks :) xxx

I consider myself to have a pretty high pain threshold (the fact that I had significant tearing & lots of stitches after my labour, & wasn't remotely bothered by them, I think backs this up- or maybe just a very good surgeon!), but I had an induction, with ARM, and a fairly large (for my size) back to back baby, & I found the pain in my back indescribable. My contractions were very full on, very quickly- they wrecked me so much, that I was literally falling asleep between every one (for about 30secs!). Gas & air just made me feel the drunkest I have ever been, & completely out of control! I ended up having an epi, & forceps delivery. Epi was amazing- I swore I'd never have one (I was due to give birth at the MLU, with access to nothing but gas & air until I had to be induced), but I was completely out of control on the gas & air. :D

I was induced two weeks over. Once they broke my waters I was begging DH to shoot me!

I'm a weirdo...

I'd love to go through pregnancy/labour/birth again, but I don't want another child... :/

I know labour hurt, but I don't really remember it... I just remember being achy and tired.

I had no labour warning... Fine one minute, huge contraction the next, straight in to five minute intervals. After speaking on the phone to labour ward, I was in hospital half hour after my first contraction (it's a 3 minute drive), monitored for half hour when I got there, told I was at 4cm and wheeled round to delivery. Less than 3 hours after that, my boy was here.

I remember by the time I got to the hospital I was shouting for the drugs, and once I'd been monitored and got onto the G&A I threw it at OH and asked for the real drugs, got pethadine, and felt no pain after that. My issue was my back was buggered from lugging him round like a little old lady for the last two months, so pushing ached like a beast, but apart from that, and being awake nearly 24hours at this point, I was fine.

I just remember it being like immense period pain until I got drugged. Xx

Ive just had gallstones with an infected gall bladder removed now that fucking hurts like 10/10 labour I didnt really get much pain 2/10 at 5cm before gas and air, 1/10 or 0/10 on gas and air. I was updating facebook and dancing most of mine. But some drs say your shoe size is your pelvis size and ive size 10's! Xx

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Oh and I needed morphine in a and e for my gallstones gas and air wasnt strong enough and they where caused from pregnancy!! That is the worst pain ive ever felt. I was throwing myself around and getting panick attacks from the pain the few times. And dh told them im like mortisha from Adams family in labour so I must be in pain x

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Its really interesting to hear everyone's stories. Just goes to show how different we all are!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

With sol I'd give pain a score of 4 out of ten, with Jonah,,,,,,, 50 out of ten! Second labour was way worse!!!!! Although half the time!

I did it on Gas and Air and about 1ml of pethidine which was the least they could give me and worked for about 20 minutes :) that was just to help baby move into the right position because he decided he wanted to play carousel in me :)

I vaguely remember everything now and I think of our birth fondly, I remember feeling his head crowning and the ring of fire and feeling him shoot out of me very quickly after that.

I know in my brain it must have hurt but I don't remember the hurt :) which is good because I can't wait to do it again lol

xxx

Looking back I loved my experience and knowing that I pushed my little lady into the world (with some help) but I still did it.

From start to finish I was contracting for 25hours and at its worse it was so painful. I have a high pain threshold but found this was something I couldn't control and it was overwhelming at how painful it actually was.
My contractions slowed down and were coming every 4/5minutes, I was begging for help as I was exhausted and falling asleep in between.
In the end I got taken to theatre given an Epi, prepped for c-section and given assistance with ventouse and out popped lo.

Next time I want to be able to "feel" everything and not have the epi.

It's amazing hearing everyone's experience I would love to do it all again :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back