How do you rate the pain of childbirth?

SaraLouise

Reaction score
Im just interested to know really...

Me & OH were talking last night & he asked me to describe the pain of labour.. the only way I could describe it was the most overwhelming unbearable pain, something I could not even imagine til it happened. It was like each time I had a contraction a red mist completely descended on me & it felt like there was nothing else in the world apart from pain.

I ended up with an epi at 5cm, and by that time I remember thinking that if somebody would have walked into the room at the height of one of my contractions and asked me if I wanted to carry on or not have my baby, I'm ashamed to say I probably would have given him up :( - which I still feel guilty about thinking almost 4 weeks on.

Even though I really want more children at the moment its still too raw for me to even contemplate.

How do you rate the pain of labour?

For those of you that don't know I was induced 8 days early and had a pessary & hormone drip, and so said inductions tend to be more painful but who knows!?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I managed to stay at home till 7cm, so I think for me up until that point I'd say labour was 'bareable'.

Once I got to the hospital though, if someone offered me a gun I would've probably taken it!! The pain was just indescribable!

When the epi was in though I had a whale of a time!

xxxx

Epis are brilliant! From being in a complete sobbing mess with each contraction, me & oh managed a couple of games of cards haha x

My "prostin pains" were worse than my contractions. I don't know how that is but it's true. I got to 10cm on G&A (great in the beginning then useless) & a shot of pethadine later on which was utterly shite. I had a mobile epi at 10cm & wish I had asked for it sooner. It was such a dreamy feeling.

I honestly couldn't tell you, it's definitely true in my case that I've forgotten.

I have forgotten the pain but the exhaustion is something I'll never forget. I did it all on g&a and never once said I couldn't do it because of the pain, but did think I would not have the energy to push him out.

Last edited:
I honestly don't remember! My labour is a bit like a messy night out for me, there are parts I remember and parts I have no recollection of! My waters were broken and I was put on the drip at 7pm. I didn't need the pessary cos my cervix was already open. I remember by 9-10pm when my OH got back from the chippy with his tea I was starting to ask about diamorphine. I remember them being nothing like I expected - mine were all in my back and nothing like the period type pain I'd been expecting! I never got to the pushing stage cos I got stuck at 8cm and had a section. I can tell you that for a good two weeks after that I was in agony!!!

My "prostin pains" were worse than my contractions. I don't know how that is but it's true. I got to 10cm on G&A (great in the beginning then useless) & a shot of pethadine later on which was utterly shite. I had a mobile epi at 10cm & wish I had asked for it sooner. It was such a dreamy feeling.

Its interesting how different hospitals do things so differently! In my hospital pethidine is rarely given & they don't do "mobile" epis. So the choices were g&a, codine or a full epi. For some reason I only had the g&a for one contraction, & I can't for the life of me remember if it helped. I guess not if I only used it once!

I know. There's a thing in neighbouring hospitals called the remy drip. I've heard so many people say its great but mine doesn't offer it. I didn't even know they did mobile epi's but maybe it was because i was 10cm & to give me the full whack would have been a waste? Who knows! I bust my arse to get out of that place ASAP.

I got to the hospital at 8cm and was told o was too far along for anything other than g&a, once they realised he was back to back they let me have half a shot of pethadine which didn't seem to do anything other than make me drowsy. For the pushing they took away my g&a and the pain was undescribable! This time I'm getting to that hospital early for my epi! Lol

My OH's mate said the other day he'd been told childbirth is like trying to push a melon through a papercut! Lol I can't really say I disagree!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9380 using Tapatalk

I honestly can't remember the pain, but I found it bearable up until transition, then I found things very intense. I just felt like my body was taking over. At that point they were telling me I was 2cm and I remember thinking 'if that's the case kill me now', then they examined me and I was 10cm and ready to push. I just remember the relief and pain disappear when I was told that because all my body wanted to do was push. I had no time for pain relief xxx

I wouldn't describe it as painful at all. I was uncomfortable and achy and couldn't settle in a comfortable position. My appemdix burst when I was younger and that pain that went on for weeks with infections etc was faaaar worse than labour.

My labour was beautiful. I was five days over due, had a peaceful waterbirth, no pain meds, I was in active labour for 36 hours, went to hospital at 2cm and stayed as is normal here. Painful isn't a word I would use to describe labour at all, intense, amazing, bewieldering, uncomfortable, enjoyable, productive.

I'd take labour every day and twice on Sunday over an appendix bursting ever again.

I wouldn't describe it as painful at all. I was uncomfortable and achy and couldn't settle in a comfortable position. My appemdix burst when I was younger and that pain that went on for weeks with infections etc was faaaar worse than labour.

My labour was beautiful. I was five days over due, had a peaceful waterbirth, no pain meds, I was in active labour for 36 hours, went to hospital at 2cm and stayed as is normal here. Painful isn't a word I would use to describe labour at all, intense, amazing, bewieldering, uncomfortable, enjoyable, productive.

I'd take labour every day and twice on Sunday over an appendix bursting ever again.

That's interesting because I also had a burst appendix: that was infected for 8 months & I dont think that pain came ANYWHERE near the pain of contractions.

Its interesting how everybody's experiences are so different x

Jack's labour was a 42hr back to back labour and was hell on earth! I had an epi after 17hrs and then the epi wore off down my left side at the pushing stage so i was in agony again. I was then cut and ha a forceps delivery.

Harry's labour was induced with just 1 lot of gel at 13 days overdue and 3.5hrs later out he popped with absolutely no pain relief at all!! It was still hell on earth but i'd do his again over Jack's anyday! x

Oh an i had gall stones when Jack was 3 weeks old and a gall stone attack is a hundred times worse than contractions!!! x

I would say that up until my waters went the pain was fine, bouncing and tens machine helped.

After my waters went I was a complete mess. It wasn't necessarliy the pain just the fact that something was taking over my body and there was nothing I could do to stop it. During a contraction I couldn't speak, couldn't move or do anything. I had one stinging pain whilst in the ambulance and that was painful. The pushing stage wasn't painful at all. But as others have said I have also forgotten it, and really can't fathom how bad it would have been if I had been in full blown labour for any longer. x

It was the most painful thing I've ever experienced, but I never felt like I wanted to die or anything. I just felt incredibly uncomfortable as I had to be on the bed monitored for most of the time. I was also surprised that all the pain was in my front; I was expecting the pain to be in my back but it wasn't.

I won't have any more children because of what happened to me afterwards, but if I by some miracle ever did, I wouldn't be afraid of labour.

I can't really remember. I had a very long labour, 60 odd hours. Managed to do it all med free apart from some cocodomal until the last 6 hours when my waters were broken and the contractions were so intense I got g&a. I don't really remember anything to be honest after that. It was amazing stuff lol The contractions were horrendous but I don't remember the pain from pushing to be honest.

I do remember reading an article once though that scientists had carried out experiements and had said that the pain of labour at it's peak is similar to that if you were to break something like 26 bones in your body at the same time!
I felt very empowered after going through labour/birth. I am a complete wimp when it comes to pain, like, unbelievably so and the fact I handled it so well and didn't have an epi or something I was proud. OH always says to this day he thinks I'm superwoman lol xxx

Mine wasn't too bad I don't think. The false labour bit was just bloody annoying!! Proper contractions that weren't going anywhere.

I ended up with morphing at 4cms. But that was really to slow things down as I was struggling not to push - think due to being back to back!!

I think having tens machine on early through the false bit, and being in pool really helped. Although due to arthritis I have a really high pain threshold anyway.

Gosh girls your making me feel like a right wuss! Haha x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back