How do you rate the pain of childbirth?

Oh and I needed morphine in a and e for my gallstones gas and air wasnt strong enough and they where caused from pregnancy!! That is the worst pain ive ever felt. I was throwing myself around and getting panick attacks from the pain the few times. And dh told them im like mortisha from Adams family in labour so I must be in pain x

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Same hun, i got mine from Jack's pregnancy. I suffered for 4 months waiting to have the bugger out and was hospitalised 3 times!! I ended up with liquid paracetamol through a drip and oral morphine at the same time because thats all that took the edge off a gall stone attack!

Glad you've had the op! Bet you felt like a new woman afterwards. I know i did x

I was getting attacks every day up to twice a day, they told me to go to a and e for morphine through a canular because they where worried about my pancreas because of the infection, so in the end after leaving hospital the morning of the girls christening and going back in at 6pm the evening of there christening they wouldn't let me leave again and I was in 4 days and they took it out and then 2 day recovery. They don't normally do it that fast but they where blocking the duct too much too often and they where worried because I wasn't eating because of it but it was still happening. But it all worked out in the end. Worst pain of my life though, I called the ambulance the first time and asked my DH to shoot me!! xx

I dnt for one minute think im wonder women.. But i really did think child birth was guna be worse than it was..

Dont get me wrong it hurt like hell! I eeded gas and air otherwise if of died doing it with nothing! And i had 2nd defree tears that killled when being stitched up!

But it hasnt put me off doing it again! :) x

My first labour - induced by drip - horrific pain the worse I have ever felt - ended up having epi and ventouse but was a complete dream after that. My son was 8lbs 14 oz.

Second labour..virtually painfree...waters broke 4.30am...Arrived at hospital 5.30am and my little girl arrived at 6am... Just about time for a few puffs of gas and air and then it was taken away for me to push. Pushing felt like relief and not so painful. My little girl was not so little (9lbs 7oz) and I'm 5'1 and 8 stone!

All labours are different but in my experience the hormonal drip is bloody awful and I would not wish that on anyone - natural labours I would do over and over again :)

First labour a million/10 for pain, more than anything I remember being so scared, I actually thought I was dying.

Second labour 5/10 until the last minutes then 8/10 and on the whole a good calm experience. Just g&a with both.

Such a strong believer in every birth being different, mine didn't compare at all in terms of pain! Although first baby was induced so might be why it was worse and also delivered in just over an hour x

First I found coping with the pain tough until I was using g and a properly. Second was so soon after first I just kept thinking omg I'm doing this again too soon lol. Second and third homebirths. Only ever had g and a. I don't mind contractions but I hate the pushing and I feel out of control! My third was so relaxed. My boiler was being fitted down stairs while me, OH and my amazing midwife were upstairs drinking tea, eating toast and giggling in between contractions and we were snuggled up in bed two hours after birth having a Chinese! X

Mine felt like a marathon, it was painful but not like the pain I imagined, I imagined more pain, to me it was pressure pain, like 10cms of melon pressing on all your insides and you know it only has 1 route
I think I had a good labour as I was so happy it went ok after massive big fears

I personally didn't find it painful! I had really mild period pains on and off and didn't even realise it was contractions. It was only because I had a show I knew something was happening. When I started timing my pains they were already 2 mins apart, lasting a min. I didn't want to go to hospital because I was convinced they would send me home. My hubby and mum made me and lucky they did because I was 8cm. The midwife even called me hardcore!!! Just over 2 hrs later Mia was born with no pain relief other than a little gas and air at the end because I was getting panicky because I couldn't breath properly! My body was just pushing everything out and I couldn't get my breath back in. Labour to me just felt like a massive pressure (like a big poo lol). Mia was out in just 7 contractions. The most painful bit for me was being examined after as I had torn. (2nd degree) I could have decked the doctor pulling me about then!!!
I'm under no illusion it will be as easy next time, every birth is so different! Xx

Oh and it was a lot easier and not as painful as I thought it would be after hearing many a horror story!!

Last edited:
I would've needed an epi I think what you had to go thru Sarah! F me, I kept convincing myself that I was gonna go to a point where I couldn't cope with the pain and it never came and I think as nearer to the end and with G&A more at the end as from start my hormones/body just took over and doubt with it. Looking back if I would've felt more conscious during the delivery and contractions and what was all happening that perhaps I would've fancied some spinal or diamorph during delivery but as it all went along and took 2 days from start to end it wasn't to bad and I'm saying now pregnancy na that wasn't me. Resting and everything in the beginning wasn't me either but giving birth I'd do it all day long, however reading some stories I think I'd take that back if I had to do it all again and it would go entirely different like being induced for example. The aftermath how the left my foof and the whole catheter thing traumatized me far far more pain wise!

Well if someone asked if I'd rather be in labour or break my ankle again I'd go for the labour. For those that done know I broke my ankle in 3 places 9 days before my first son was born (naturally too). Both times I had quite fast labours and only just got back to the hospital with my lo (they sent me home 40 mins earlier saying I wasn't in labour)

It's funny how everyone is so different. I had gallstones for years and finally had my gallbladder out last year before getting pregnant. Gallstones was pretty bad and I had read people comparing it to child birth and some saying it was worse so I thought I would cope with labour pretty well. I was induced at 2 weeks over and I can safely say that for me
Labour was 10 times worse than gallstones, granted I went from 4cm to 9 in 30 minutes. Like another poster said contractions were irregular and only showing as mild on the Ctg so midwives really didnt take me seriously, in fact one of them told me to
Get a grip I wasn't even in established labour yet!

Fermerswife, I hate it when other people judge and tell you to get a grip it's not like anyone else can judge for you how you are experiencing the pain, the emotions and how it's making you feel! If you are in pain or even in agony before established labour then that's how it will be and how can anyone tell you to get a grip when they haven't got a slightest clue what you are going through! I think this thread definitely shows that literally everyone experiences giving birth is different even with subsequent births it's never the same by reading peoples' experiences and it makes me really sad when anyone has the cheek to judge on how you're supposed to feel!

I rate childbirth as being very painful but not unbearable, tho I've always used gas & air in the later stages. Not sure how bad it would be or how I'd cope using nothing at all but g&a definitely works for me. I actually find the pushing stage more unbearable than the contractions !!

See I wouldn't say it was painful, more like its something you have no control over whatsoever, and what just takes over, its quite immense!

I'd rather give birth than go to the dentist for treatment...that is no lie...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back