help......confused about tests and scans..

Samsgirl

Reaction score
Hello

Ok....so I have my first booking in appt with the midwife next week....what will she do? I know she will fill forms in and ask lots of questions and I will be able to ask her stuff....but will she take bloods?

Then I know I have my dating scan at about 12 weeks....do they do bloods again then? to test for risk of downes?

because i am 35 i know there is going to be a higher risk....do i HAVE to have that horrible amnio thing where they put a needle through your tummy or can you have a scan to determine if the baby has downes?

i am feeling a bit overwhelmed with worry tonight :(

xx

I am afraid I am as confused as you are.
I think they do they nuchal scan test at around 12 weeks and if it's fine, they wont do amnio. I think there is also quadruple test that is done at 15-16 weeks but not every NHS trust has it I think. I think it depends on where you are.
I was sent a letter with my nuchal/dating scan appointment but still no sign of midwife, I am starting to worry now.

i will ask my midwife about it all on tuesday and then let you know xx

I had dating scan today and I asked about nuchal scan. They Dont do them now at my hospital but will in April as standard so depends on what they do your area. The nuchal scan is between 11 and 13 weeks and as my hospital are doing trials, I asked if I can have one and they will let me know if they can squeeze me in next week but probably not. At 16 weeks more bloods are done to see if you are high risk downes. If you are high risk its still very unlikely and that is when they offer you the amnio. There is 1% chance mc with this so lots of thinking to do. I am 38 now, 39 in May and I was 35 when I had Joshua. I opted out of blood test completely last pregnancy cos I knew I would not have the amino done! Im older now so maybe would this time.... I just hope I can get the nuchal scan next week ..... I got a FAB leaflet from my mw about it all at my booking in. Ask now if nuchal is standard in your area. Its hard not to worry about it, I know I do. Then again I think I would still have baby with downes anyway...hopefully neither of us have to make these choices eh?

Last edited:
Hi, not sure if this helps a little. But I took some blood tests last time I was pregnant as I have got downs in family, but I am not sure if it works same way as a proper test.. Ask your midwife she will be able to give you some clear answers. xx

Last edited:
when i had my booking in appointment with midwife (5wk+3), she just done the forms and went through certain test that you can have done, she booked me in for my bloods a week later (6wks+3) but i know some do the blood test there at the booking in.. then i had my 12wk scan and had the downs screening to check amount of fluid on baby's neck after my scan i went and had my blood taken and that is where i got my risk levels for baby having down syndrome - got a letter about a week later.

got my 16wk apointment on the 1st march but not sure if im having anymore blood taken? but i know everywhere is different.. :)

Last edited:
Hello

Ok....so I have my first booking in appt with the midwife next week....what will she do? I know she will fill forms in and ask lots of questions and I will be able to ask her stuff....but will she take bloods?

Then I know I have my dating scan at about 12 weeks....do they do bloods again then? to test for risk of downes?

because i am 35 i know there is going to be a higher risk....do i HAVE to have that horrible amnio thing where they put a needle through your tummy or can you have a scan to determine if the baby has downes?

i am feeling a bit overwhelmed with worry tonight :(

xx

Hi :wave:
Although it seems to depend on where you are, so this might not be exactly the case where you are but for me: generally at the booking in appointment your midwife will basically fill in a load of forms with you and go over your history and OHs history and weigh you, take pee and blood test (you'll hear from them afterwards if they find anything like low iron etc) and they should answer any questions you have.

At the 12 week scan they will scan you and that's it - no pee or blood test. This is just to measure size of baby and check for heartbeat - here they do not check for Downs until later.

Here, at 16-17 weeks you are invited to have a blood test to test for likelihood of Downs, but I'm sure I've read on here they may already have done this between 12-16 weeks in other areas so could be something to check with your midwife at booking in appointment. You can decline to have it as a lot of people do - if you do have the test and it indicates a high risk you will be invited to have an amnio, but again I think I've read that others have had a scan to look further instead of an amnio so another thing to check with your midwife?

All in all though, nothing to worry about!

got my 16wk apointment on the 1st march but not sure if im having anymore blood taken? but i know everywhere is different.. :)

Where I am they take blood at 8 weeks then not again until 28! I'm getting mine done next week for the first time since booking in - not sure if that's normal though.

Im so jealous of you getting to have a booking in with your midwife. I'm 5weeks, 3days and went to my doc on monday with my very exciting news - waste of time!!!

Since I'm moving out of the country at around 11 weeks she said she won't do anything and I'll just be a late booker when I get to my new home. As if moving to another country isn't stressful enough especially when preggers I'm going to have to find a widwife as soon as I arrive.

I've been reading all your posts about tests ect - I hope they do the same ones in Australia! Just hoping everything is OK

Hi - hope you dont mind me strayin into Tri 1 - i was 34 when we conceived this little one - had the normal downs screening at 12 week scan - and came back as low risk so did not have to have the other test - age is a factor but doesnt always mean you will be a high risk downs case.

Your Midwife will give you all the information about the scans etc. She'll probably take blood for a full count, check rubella immunity etc etc etc. Triple test for Downs risk is after 16 weeks this will give you a risk like 1/1000 for example, the nuchal scan is between 11 weeks and 13 weeks 6 days, this will also give you a risk factor. If high risk you would be offered either Amnio or CVS both carry a 1/100 risk of MC, but no you do NOT have to have them if you are told you are high risk, but it will be the only way to find out for sure.
I am sure she'll explain it all to you next week. x

Last edited:
thank you so much everyone....i feel loads better today. just had an 'overwhelmed' moment again yesterday....

thanks so much for all your help and replies

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back