NT Scan and blood test

SmallPurpleCat

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in a bit of a quandry over screening tests... The hospital I'm with don't offer the NT screening at the dating scan, only a blood test at 15/16 weeks to assess whether I'm high or low risk.

I really don't know what to do as I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't want to do an amnio if the bloods came back as high risk but then I'd have to spend the rest of the pregnancy worrying.

I suppose I could avoid the blood tests altogether but chances are they'll come back low risk anyway and so then I wouldn't have the worry...

DH is much more relaxed about it and just thinks we should have the blood tests and deal with it whatever the outcome.

Anyone having the same worries...?

Thanks

SPC

We have decided to have the tests but lucky because they do a blood test and NT scan at 12 week scan.
At least if you know what the risks are from the blood test you can deal with it, if you come back high risk then you dont have to have the amnio test.
Sorry probably not much help.

my midwife suggested to me if i wasnt going to have the amnio there was no point in having the other tests as even if you had a high result it may not mean the baby has downs syndrome so you would just be worrying for no reason for the rest of your pregnancy

hope this helps we've opted out x

Thanks for the replies. I had thought that too rbryan - if I'm not intending on having the amnio then why have the tests...? I guess I'm hoping the bloods will show that I'm low risk and I won't need to worry...

I'm 34 so a bit older than both of you I think, which puts me at greater risk.

Decisions, decisions!

SPC, I'm 37 in 2 mths time and I can't decide either , hadn't made my mind up last time , and still haven't

I think Rbryan made a good point , I don't think I could do the amnio and risk the baby as I couldn't live with myself if doing that caused anything to the baby.

But call me weak, but really am not sure what I think about having a downs baby, and riskier for older mums. What if the risk came back high and I would have to worry the rest of this pregnancy.

Ohh such a dilemea isn't it SPC?

I will be 34 next month and we have decided to have the blood tests and go from there. I, like you JJ mum am not sure how we would cope with a Downs baby. I am heading back to work after 10 weeks so it will be by OH doing most of the childcare and this is why we have decided to have the blood tests and go from there. 1 step at a time he says. It's been a hard decision for us though.

Pam

We decided to have the blood tests as its a simple procedure and we could have a chance to deal with things depending upon the outcome. If it had come back as a high risk then it would have allowed us to research the condition more thoroughly and allow us to make an informed choice and get support from others. Thankfully everything came back as a low risk so we can relax and start to enjoy the rest of the pregnancy... This is only our decision but I hope it helps a little bit... xxx

Thanks for your replies. After another chat last night, we've decided to do the test and go from there...

SPC xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back