hand-washing, no tumble dryer, immersion heaters... HELP!

Suzie and Faith

Reaction score
Well we move into our house on Saturday... this is the first time I've lived away from my mum so i'd like to pick your brains...

Hand-washing -> a neighbour has offered us her washing machine when she gets her new one in 3 weeks time so until then I'll be borrowing my mums and doing some hand-washing. I bought some hand-washing liquid stuff... I'm presuming I just add it to water and rub the clothes around a bit? Should I leave them to soak? Any tips? (properly stained/dirty stuff will get taken to my mums)

Tumble Dryers -> Our little house has no room for one in the kitchen and we've only one other downstairs room so we have decided to try and go without a tumble dryer - what's the best way to go about this? We have gas heaters in the bedrooms and the living room, there is a washing line and the immersion heater will give off heat... do you reckon we'll be able to cope without a tumbler?

Immersion heaters -> As in the hot water tanks you have to switch on and off for hot water.. our has a timer but we've no idea about the best way to organise ourselves with it, does anyone have one and if so when do you have it on and how long for??

It's all quite scary really! I hope I can get into a routine with washing and drying and stuff! I've been so spoilt all these years!

I can help with the no tumble dryer one. I haven't had one for 2 years. I put small stuff on the radiators and big stuff on the washing line. If the weather is rubbish then i have 2 clothes horses. They cost me £4 each from Wilko. If your house is fairly warm it should only take a couple of days to dry. Sounds quite a long time but it's not really if you don't do alot of washing.

:wave: Welcome to my world.

We hand wash all our clothes no hope of a washing machine or dryer ever!

I use powder because we dont have hot water I boil about 3 kettles and then add cold water in the sink then put the powder or liquid in however much it says or just have a good guess! Always good to wear your marigolds or your hands feel horrible! Then swish it around a bit and add your clothes just cotton type stuff nothing wool or synthetic or it will wreak them! squidge it all down if theres any small stains rub them a bit under the water and soak for a while if I'm rushing I will leave them a hour or so if not over night is always good.

Then make sure you rinse it all really really well and get rid of sudds. I usually grab one end and my oh grabs the other and we twist to get the excess water out. Then if its sunny lay it outside or on the line if not put it over the heaters. We have a little oil heater we have to use and it usually gets it dry just keep turning it every so often so it all gets dry.

:wall: Its fooking hard work mind!!!

By immersion heater I assume you mean an electric one and not a gas boiler? (I only ask coz you said there are gas heaters). If so I would say have economy 7 tariff and heat the water overnight on the cheaper rate - there should be enough for the next day. Dunno about timers as ours doesn't have one. Back in the day when I had to handwash stuff I used to soak it in the bath for a bit then give a scrub and sloosh out with plenty of cold water. And it should be no problem to dry your stuff without a tumble dryer - just get several airers so you don't have too much stuff piled on one. You can also get ones that hook over the heaters.

Good luck. :D

Tadpole said:
By immersion heater I assume you mean an electric one and not a gas boiler? (I only ask coz you said there are gas heaters). If so I would say have economy 7 tariff and heat the water overnight on the cheaper rate - there should be enough for the next day. Dunno about timers as ours doesn't have one. Back in the day when I had to handwash stuff I used to soak it in the bath for a bit then give a scrub and sloosh out with plenty of cold water. And it should be no problem to dry your stuff without a tumble dryer - just get several airers so you don't have too much stuff piled on one. You can also get ones that hook over the heaters.

Good luck. :D

I believe we are on economy 7 and it is an electric immersion thingy. I will do that then - that makes sense! Is one tank of water enough for a day? I have no idea how immersions work really!

Thanks for the tips guys xx

Depends on how big your immersion heater is but usually it is enough - we haven't ever run out so far. It will have a booster button as well if you needed to heat some in a hurry. Usually, (and you may want to doublecheck this with the landlord), there are 2 switches - one for the bottom part which is the E7 and one for the top which is the booster. Make sure the booster is turned off when not needed as it will cost a fortune!

I have a tumble dryer but hardly use it. Always line dry if you can as kinder for environment and cheaper by far on the pocket. Hanging stuff round the house will get you more condensation in the house and the air to be damp. I avoid this where possible espcially with a baby in the house, more so in winter when heaters are on etc. That's my personal preference, not any health advice. I just don't think damp air in a house where babies sleep is nice. You could always take washed stuff to the laundrette to dry also.

Handwashing is simple enough. I tend to dunk mine in, give it a bit of a rub/swill round etc then wring and rinse out throughly. If anything is really soaked and dripping still wrap in a towel and twist it to get the excess water out.

I only put our immersion for an hour a day or so.

When you get a washing machine remember than modern ones fill up from the cold water so don't use hot.

Hiya, I dont have a tumlble dryer i allways hang mine up on an airer

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back