grandmas and nannas

trixipaws

Reaction score
just wondered which is which! i always called both my grandmas "grandma" as i dont remember ever being with them both together and if i was referring to one i'd use their surname after "grandma" to indicate whom i was on about.

and both my mum and boyf's stepmom both call themselves millie's "grandma".

but is there a set way who's who (eg. mums mum is nan and dads mum is gran) or do u just choose?

I have no idea - but my MIL has told me she wants to be called Grandma - I dont know why

i dont think it matters

but my mum has made it clear she doesnt want to be called Grandma by Leah because she said Grandma sounds really old lol
so she wants nanna

Molly started calling my mum 'Baba' from the moment she started to talk. I've no idea why, but it stuck!

She also calls my dad 'Gaga' even now (she's four!) It's hilarious!

I really like Baba though. Apparently it means grandmother in some Eastern European countries.......

Kimbo said:
i dont think it matters

but my mum has made it clear she doesnt want to be called Grandma by Leah because she said Grandma sounds really old lol
so she wants nanna

same here, my mum is younger than hubbys mum. My mum is nanna and his mum is grandma

no there's no set way

we've always had nans - then their surnames, but my DS and nieces and nephews have lots of great nans as well - so they call great nans by their surname and nans by their first names - we never told them to - they just do - so instead of having 2 nana P*** for example - they have nana P** (great nan) and nana ness (their nan)

they do the same with grandads :D

Kimbo said:
Same here!

very confusing.

I didnt have granparents on my mum side as they had both past away.

but on my dads side when i was younger it was nana (dads mum) and gran (dads mums mum)

My OH family they just have Granny Nugent and Granny Armour. (surnames on both sides)

we decided that my mum would be nanny, OHs mum would be oma (german for nan) and my nan would be great-grandma gregory... my stepdads mum just wants to be nan (she goes mad if you call her grandma)

OHs mum is 'nanny' to Jam, he says nan nan nan nan nan when he sees her tho lol :rotfl:

Hi

Both Grandparents are Grandma!! we when young used to call our great Grandma Nanny though.

ella said:
I have no idea - but my MIL has told me she wants to be called Grandma - I dont know why

Same here, although I confess I think it sounds very old.

My mum is nanny, and I do find her a little younger acting in behaviour, although there's only 5 years difference.

It really doesn't matter tbh..

My mum made it painfully clear that she was to be called grandma (or gwandma :lol: ) because Nanna was "common" IHO..

But my ex's mum made it clear that she wanted to be nanna.

This time round I've got to deal with Muumu, muufaa, faamu, and faafaa..

Deal with that one :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I still don't know which one applies to which grandparent... and THEN... I've got the great grandparents... Faamuus mu.. :roll: I swear I'm never going to learn Swedish.

Richard's mam wanted to be nana.
My mam calls herself Granny lol she's only 46!

Kimbo said:
i dont think it matters

so she wants nanna

Same here! Only she spells it Nana! :lol:

When i was little i had one nannie who was my mums mum and a gran who was my dads mum

Keeley has a nannie my mum and a nana her dads mum.. none of them wanted to be grandma :lol:

no1s sed anything about wat they want to be called im going to get tameron 2 call my exs mum grandmother thou loooool she will hate it :rotfl:

Tegala-7thMarch08 said:
no1s sed anything about wat they want to be called im going to get tameron 2 call my exs mum grandmother thou loooool she will hate it :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

We asked them what they wanted t be called (I had 2 sets of nana and grandad.) We've ended up with granma and granpa, and nana and gramps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back