grandmas and nannas

My grandma's were both 'Grandma' to me

My mum is DD's Grandma, my dad's mum is also Grandma (she has about 40 Great Grandkids, it's just too complicated for LO's to say Great-Grandma!) Dh's mum is nanna and so is his step-mum

Frankly DD couldn't care less, if you say 'we're going to see nanna', she goes and gets a banana out of the fruit bowl :rotfl:

clairescunny55 said:
Kimbo said:
i dont think it matters

but my mum has made it clear she doesnt want to be called Grandma by Leah because she said Grandma sounds really old lol
so she wants nanna

same here, my mum is younger than hubbys mum. My mum is nanna and his mum is grandma

exactly the same here, my mum thought grandma is too old sounding and hse is nanna and oh's mum insisted on being grandma but she is 10 yrs older than my mum. i have always called all mine nanna and just reffered to them by nanna "first name" when discussing themt o others. i think it just depends on what people want to be called.

xxxxx

xxxxx

When i was younger, i caleed my mum's mum "nannie" and my dad's mum was "nanna" so we've kept it like that for Beth. My mum and MIL didnt actually get a choice, lol. I know my mum likes it more than Granny (cos thats what my brothers kids call her) she thinks granny makes her sound too old...even though she is in her 60's, lol, bless her :lol:

Hannah calls my mum and dad, gangan and mam mam
and oh mum and dad, nan and gangan

it doesn't matter at all.

My mum's mum to me was 'babcia' and my dad's mum was 'memere'

For my kids, my mum is 'granny', my step-mother is 'grandma june' and dh's mum is 'nana'.

My mom is Nanny

MIL is Nanny Greta (although she didn't really want to be called nanny but Mason ended up doing it anyway, her name is Greta obviously)

My dad is grandad

My stepdad is "Pop" 8)

FIL is Oupa (It's a South African thing)

OH's parents will be Nanna and Grandad (North East)
mine will be Nanna and Grampy. (South West...usually we would say Nanny, but my mum is happy to be a Nanna.)

I just let my Mum and MIL choose what they wanted to be called so they are both Nanny.

ready for this... well alice has two nans, one grandad, and one pops. then we have a grandma and a grandpa (my nan and grandad!).

ive always called mine, nan and grandad, but when refering to my dads parents (who i see less off), it was and still is "nan and grandad - dads lot".

Adam called his nan, and nana. made telling tham apart in conversations easier!

This is how we call our parents for Isaac;

My Mum=Nana
OH's Mum=Grandma
Both Dads=Grandad

But there's no set way that I know of, I don't think it matters.

all ours are nans its a bit confusing as christopher has a step nan too
so we have nanny sue nanny sheila and nanny deb lol also 3 grandads who are called bampy followed by first names xxxxxxx

That's so weird that a lot of people have picked gran = dads mum and nan = mums mum. That's how it's always been for me.

For Ryan though, there's my mum who is Nana, my dad's girlfriend who is Granny, nat's mum who is Grandi and nat's stepmum who is Grandma.

Any scottish people know wtf a Grandi is? I think it's just nats mum being awkward but she does live in the borders so don't know if it's a scottish thing?

My cousin's girls call their grandad, Grumpy, rather than Grampy. It's very appropriate!

Kylie1007 said:
My cousin's girls call their grandad, Grumpy, rather than Grampy. It's very appropriate!

:rotfl: :rotfl:

I had no idea people had set names to call gran+nan etc?!

My LO will have Nanny M, Nanny and Grandad T & Nanny Fairy & Great Nanny & Grandad T, and Great Nanna. Spoilt or what :shock:

both mine where / are nanna

i wanted my mum to be nanna too but one small issue , were a bit daft with the dog ( called ourselves mum and dad and she resonds to this ) but we also call mu mum grandma and the dog knows this ! so it would be confusing to call her grandma to the dog and nanna to the baby :wall: so think there gonna end up being grandma !

and for anyone who doesnt beleive my dog doesnt know who grandma is ! they should just say to her , we going grandma and she goes skitz ! she loves it there !

O man..Ours are ridiculous..there's so many and they all chose...

My mam= munna
My dad= pop
My nanna= granny goose (she has pet geese)
My granda= granda peter (his name)
My granny= granny misty (her dogs name)

Dh dad= dad dad
Dh mum= granny
Dh grandad= great grandad
Dh grandma= great grandma
Dh granny= granny ivy

On our side of the family, the name changed the older generation you were..nanna, then granny, then we called our great grandparents grandma and grampa....It's terrible when we are all together!!

OH's mum HAS to be grandma (or she gets upset!! NOone else is allowed to be called grandma :shock: lol)

My mum is Nana

And Dads girlfriend is Granny H :rotfl: and shes only 25!!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

my mums mum was nan and my dads mum was grandma but that was coz they wanted to be called that

I don't think it really matters, our lot chose theres, the grandads are both called grandad (with surname after) then we have:

My mom: Nanny (she wanted Noonoo but I told her that I would not allow it cos that her foofie!!)
My Step Mom: Nanny (with her surname after)
DHs step mom Nanny (with her surname after)
MIL: Nanna (she wanted to be called Memay, but I said no cos it'll sound like mummy, and thats me!! :shakehead: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back