Going on holiday with a baby - Share tips here!

Rayoflight

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm going away next week and starting to panic.

There are lots of people who have taken babies of various ages on hols and thought a 'top tips' thread could be a bit of a lifesaver. If there is one already please hit me round the head with a bag of quavers and point me in the right direction. Can't find one on tapatalk.

What are your survival tips for taking a baby on holiday?

I remember a similar thread but I can't be arsed going looking for it :blush: How lazy

Are you going foreign?

Hmmm this is just off the top of my head, haven't been away with Odhrán yet x

Extra nappies
Bottled water
Suncream
Sunglasses
Hats
Extra cups/bottles
Extra dummies/dummy clips (not sure if Blake uses one)
Mountains of baby wipes
Cooling spray
Dry snacks
Toys to clip onto pram/carseat, maybe a new one to catch his attention and help while traveling
Teething gel
Calpol/Nurofen - Spoon/syringe
Baby cutlery
Parasol

All I can think of atm x

My Sensor mat is top of the list!

Thanks love, some good stuff there.

Yes going abroad. Does anyone know if I'll be allowed to take a cool bag with food for Blake on the plane? Because we're doing BLW he doesn't have jars and stuff so will be very small portions of fresh veggies/fruit. I'm taking an expressed bottle for taking off/landing and not looking forward to having to taste it at security! Yuk!

I would think food is ok within eu. I normally bring a sandwich onboard when I'm goin to Sweden n noone ever said anything.

Someone mentioned a baby pop up tent on a different thread. Will be good taking it down the beach when the suns blazing and you want extra protection for him.

swim nappies! we've just stocked up!

also things to keep him entertained on the plane & whilst on hol. when we went away in may we took marley some small (light) toys for him to play with!

ok im the opposite lol i counted 4 nappies a day as this is what madison averages here , worst comes to worst you can buy anything u run out of over there!!

i brought wayyyyyy too much clothes and stuff,

try putting baby in the evening in comfy clothes like a lot of cotton and then let baby sleep in it, i ended up putting madison to bed in her nice outfits cos they were only on her like an hour and saved changing her haha

bottled water for bottles, i just sterilised with boiling water, and i bought all her food over there for her altho i did bring some back up ellas kitchen pouches as she LOVED them incase she didnt get enough to eat which she did !!!

cant think of much else! xxxx

oh as for pop up tent they r soooo heavy in the case and we didnt use it :/ she slept in pram most of the time xxx

You shouldn't have to try expressed milk. When I took it I just took two smaller storage bags of 70ml each that way they're under the 100ml allowance and won't raise eyebrows at security. I took Milton tablets and a large ziplock bag to sterilise-just put bottles in bag with water and tablet and zip up and leave and then you're not stuck with no sink.

Erm... Thermometer!!! It's our most used object lately! And just covers u.
I can't remember what others hVe put so I'll jut write what I can think of.
Clothes for all weathers!! Hats, suncream, loads of nappies!! Baby monitors if u use them. Extra dummies if u use them, Milton tablets, bath stuff, skin stuff if needed, some toys, swim stuff, calpol, bottles... I'm going to hav a think more! X

I was given a good tip at Baby Sensory and am doing this tomorrow.

For the plane:

Buy a rubber washing up bowl mat thingy (like a bath mat but way smaller) with suction feet thingies. God I hope I'm making sense?!

Using laces or thick elastic, attach toys to it, tying them through the holes in the mat. The woman who runs my class also had strings of big buttons, bobbins and attached those too, teething ring, that sort of thing. Once on the plane, attach to the folded up tray so that baby has something to play with and won't chuck them under the seat once you're all strapped in.

Thought it was a great idea! So going to make one tomorrow.

That sounds like a fab idea, everything has to be strapped and attached to something these days, think my boy might qualify for some throwing event in the olympics x

My holiday list so far:

We have a washing machine so not taking too much.

CLOTHES
7 vests
2 baby grows
7 bibs
5 bandana bibs (for the teething dribbles rather than BLW mess)
3 nice dressy shirts
light thin jeans
2 cardigans
2 pairs nice dressy shorts
2 pairs board shorts
2 pairs swim shorts
UV suit
2 UV sun hats (will keep one in pram bag)
Sunglasses
5 pairs socks
flip flops
trainers

TOILETRIES
Pack 48 nappies
3 packs Huggies wipes
1 pack milton wipes
Factor 50 baby suncream
small sudocrem
nappy bags
cotton wool
cotton buds
nail scissors
small bottle olive oil (Blake reacts to everything apart from this)
ashton parsons
calpol sachets

FOOD/DRINK UTENSILS
Cool bag (Can I take this on the plane in addition to my hand luggage? It's only small?)
Ice pack
2 medela bottles
2 teets
2 caps
2 flat bottle tops
marker pen
Microwave sterilising bag
Breast pump
Breast pump charger
Breast milk storage bags
2 sippy cups
nuby feeder
3 very small tupperware boxes
sandwich bags
bottle water

OTHER
Baby monitor screen
Baby monitor camera unit
Baby monitor charger
Breathing monitor mat x1
Breathing monitor unit
thermometer
bath thermometer
Pram
Pram travel bag
Pram toys
parasol
pram fly net
Raincover (yay or nay?! Would you?)
terry nappies x 3 (I use these to line the pram when he eats in it)
muslin cloths
towel
blanket
travel change mat
dummies x2
plug adaptors

Think that's everything?

Last edited:
I was given a good tip at Baby Sensory and am doing this tomorrow.

For the plane:

Buy a rubber washing up bowl mat thingy (like a bath mat but way smaller) with suction feet thingies. God I hope I'm making sense?!

Using laces or thick elastic, attach toys to it, tying them through the holes in the mat. The woman who runs my class also had strings of big buttons, bobbins and attached those too, teething ring, that sort of thing. Once on the plane, attach to the folded up tray so that baby has something to play with and won't chuck them under the seat once you're all strapped in.

Thought it was a great idea! So going to make one tomorrow.

what an amaaazing idea! you HAVE to post a pic so we can see! (and get inspiration!!!)

I am hoping to be able to get one from Home Bargains tomorrow as asda only sell the bath mats not the kitchen sink ones. If not, I was thinking of getting a bath mat and cutting it up as I need to make two of these - one for my niece too.

If anyone sees one in the shops please let me know where!

Hey hun I went to tenerife with LO for two weeks when he was near enough 6 months.

I took 70 nappies with me for an average of 5 nappies a day, also took 3 packets of wet wipes, 1 packet of sterilising milton wipes and we used milton sterilising tablets with cold water.
Donovan goes to bed at 6 so we just used to put him in his pjs and get him to sleep in his pram before we went out for our evening meal, we could then just put him straight into bed when we got back.
We used a 'shade-a-babe' canopy over his stroller, kept him completely safe from the sun and doubled up as a blackout blind at night time when we were out and about. it was well worth every penny!

I was made to taste all my bottles of milk whilst going through security, we had also taken two small 100gram fruit pots through because id read baby food was fine, but they had to check with the supervisor and he only just let us get away with taking them through, dont know what i would have done if they had made me throw them away because there werent any shops selling baby food the other side!

if i think of anymore tips ill add them later :)

Where you going Rayoflight? Gosh all thats stuff going to take up lots of luggage! amazing how much you need for babies! I only take enough nappys for travelling as you can always buy them when you arrive. With my eldest I was made to try all the baby mik even though it was under 100ml *yuck*... And Ive always been let through with food etc..

About the etc cool bag.. ive always been leniant and they generally let me off when with a baby BUT Ive seen lots off people told they can only take one bag. Remember your handbag also counts as handluggage so just get a biggg baby bag and put everything in together x

We're off to Portugal. Luckily I've backpacked twice and did 2 years in total living out of a bag. OH did 8 months with me so we're both very light travellers. There's hardly any of our stuff. I have for myself:

3 dresses
2 kaftans
2 vest tops
1 pair shorts
Hat
Flip flops
3 pairs knickers
2 bras
Towel
Toiletries
2 bikini bottoms
1 bikini top

Travelling in linen trousers which I'll wear during the week too.

Nearly all packed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back