epidural

Linda

Reaction score
i have to see an anesthesiologist in 3 weeks as i have been told i will need an epidural and a section.

the reason for this is my bmi is higher than is deemed normal.

i have a phobia of needles and struggle to keep still long enough to have bloods done never mind someone sticking something in my back.

i dont want a section or an epidural but have been told by the hospital when i had my gtt i wont have a choice. i see my usual midwife on friday so i will ask her what she thinks about it.

what i want to know is how much does it hurt as this scares me a great deal and what does it involve?

i'm really disappointed that my choices have been 'taken away' from me so soon.

have any of you experienced this before?

I'm a little confused, what does your BMI have to do with it?

I have a BMI of 31, so technically obese, and nobody said anything to me about having to have a section or an epidural.

As it turns out I was induced and I begged for epidurals both times, but they were certainly not forced upon me.

the midwife i saw at the hospital (not my usual one) told me that due to my bmi being high it would be doubtful that i could deliver naturally.

i told her i didnt want an epidural she was really off about it and said she didnt think i'd have a choice.

i'm not happy about it at all.

at the end of the day what is best for Bean is more important i know but i dont like the idea of having my options taken away from me..

honestly I'd ask for a second opinion if I were you. it sounds a bit strange to me.

It sounds very fishy to me too - I have a BMI of 40 and was allowed a home birth - I did have to fight for it, but I got it and had a brilliant birth, most amazing experience of my life.

It is VERY important to remember that no-one can force you into anything - you can refuse anything and YOU are in charge. Don't be bullied. Make sure you fight for what you want. I got told I was risking foetal death (they may try to scare you - this was because I was planning a home birth though) - what a load of bull.

Please PM me if you want any more info about giving birth with a fairly high BMI - I did loads of research on it when I was pregnant in the summer.

Good luck with getting the birth you want.

Valentine Xxx

I would defiantly question it. With my 2nd and 3rd child my BMI was 35 and I begged for an epidural and they wouldn't give me one. My weight never came into it, I was even offered a home birth.

ive never heard of any one having a section due to their bmi, mine is also high.

And like the other ladies say, its your choice not theirs, they can only offer advice.

Thank you so much for your replies,

i see my normal midwife tomorrow and i will ask her about it, she has never given me any indication at all that my weight will be an issue for the birth.

i'll keep you posted

Thanks again

My epidural was a lifesaver, the pain went away almost straight away. The needle prick was far less painful than my contractions. By the poiint they are coming strong and fast you won't even notice a needle prick you will just be thinking about how you can make the pain go away.

having spoken to the midwife,

she says it's to do with the theater table, apparently it will only hold a certain weight, she didnt specify what that weight was and said there is another table they can use but it's shared between 2 hospitals and they would need notice to get it to the hospital....

i find this abit bizzare as how would anyone know when exactly i'd go into labour so they can get the table there on time and what if someone else needs the table?

she did tell me that at no time are they allowed to make you have anything you dont want to, they can suggest things and state the reasons why they think it would be better for you/baby but at the end of the day it is entirely your decision.

i do feel better about this, and will see what the anesthesiologist has to say. apparently it's recomended that anyone with a high bmi sees an anesthesiologist (mines 42) i dont know if this applies to all areas but it's common practice in our area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back