Foods you wouldn't give to a baby.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm.... this thread has got me thinking. I weaned DS1 at 6 months but DS2 at 4 months cos he was constantly trying to eat any food he could see lol. I avoid most of the stuff u guys do and cook my own meals for lil man but I have fed him chicken cos lots of 4 month jars have meat in so I figured it must be ok. I make a sweet potato and chicken thing and blend right down. He loves it and digests it fine looking at nappies. Should I stop giving him it untl 6 months do u think tho? x x x

Hmmm.... this thread has got me thinking. I weaned DS1 at 6 months but DS2 at 4 months cos he was constantly trying to eat any food he could see lol. I avoid most of the stuff u guys do and cook my own meals for lil man but I have fed him chicken cos lots of 4 month jars have meat in so I figured it must be ok. I make a sweet potato and chicken thing and blend right down. He loves it and digests it fine looking at nappies. Should I stop giving him it untl 6 months do u think tho? x x x

I know I get so confused by it all, Ellie loves chicken and pot and I still give her it, maybe discuss it with the HV??

@Karenbump....sweet potato and chicken thing sounds yummy, how do you make it?

aw there are so many things to make like the carrot and chicken and I must admit it all tastes great

@Karenbump....sweet potato and chicken thing sounds yummy, how do you make it?

Its an Annabel Karmel one. Saute leeks in unslated butter,then add some chiken and cook for a few mins add chopped sweet poatato and carrots, chicken stock (salt free version) and cook for 30 mins. WHizz up in a blender and its been a fave with both of my boys. Her baby puree book is pretty good I think x x x

FebMum2Be - How have you never ate veg?!

I don't know, I just always rejected it as a child and have never tried them since. I eat potato and sweet potato.. I suppose they count as veg.. I've never tried fish, a strawberry which everyone finds really weird, beans, I only tried egg a year or so ago.. A salad.. Coleslaw.. So much more

Even foods I have tried and ate before, I find myself rejecting. Think I have a "freaky eater" type thing going on, I'm determined Odhrán won't be like me, C eats everything under the sun so he is in charge of experimenting with new foods for him.

Where I grew up, 99.9% of people had never seen a vegetable, let alone eaten one :lol:

wow thats amazing about the veg!!

but yeah annabel karmel is the book I use too xx

Great thread... J. Is 9 now and still doesn't have fizzy drinks water is his drink by choice, he has never had tea or coffee, he has apple juice at meal times, and he loves it, he loves crisps and sweets but I limit them and use them as a bargaining tool he eats at least 5 portions of veg and fruit a day, he has eggy bread for breakfast or weetabix maybe cheese on toast with cucumber and carrot sticks for lunch and a chicken dinner he loves eating healthily I think school has a lot to do with it, he used to be a really fussy eater (according to grandmas) but when we looked at it he just preferred real food rather than the crap she was trying to give him I'm actually quite proud of him, I remember m-I-law telling me once she felt really sorry for him only drinking water and tried to give him some coke I said that's what he likes and she said but it's horrible it's not fair on the poor little lad, I bit my lip she was the same with sweets, smash, tinned meatballs, tinned spaghetti etc... He hates them all (not sweets lol) I think it's a generation thing, I just make sure he has a packed lunch whenever we visit now, ramble ramble ..

I will be doing the same with the packed lunch Polly. My inlaws drive me crazy with food.

Had a surprise 50th for my mil at my house on sat. 2 yr old niece turns up and FIL goes straight for the coke, pours her about 3/4 pint of it and hands it to her! I had a word with him the week before about my concerns and he was all like "I know, I keep saying to your MIL it's bad. Etc etc" he basically blamed it on MIL. when he saw I'd seen him pour the coke out he just looked at me, shrugged and went "oops!". I was livid. I took him aside into another room and ranted for about ten minutes on how what they were doing was basically child abuse and she had no hope of ever being healthy. Blah blah. My poor OH was so mad because I was ruining the party but it just pisses me off so much! She doesnt eat fruit or veg, lives on takeaways, crisps and toast and she is only two. I was honest though and admitted that i am petrified of leaving my son with them
once he starts weaning. They were a bit shocked at that but i had to get it off my chest. The way they are could screw up my child's eating habits for life. They weaned my Niece regularly on super noodles at 7 months! Grrrrr.... Will shut up now, this subject riles me.

They say that tinned/frozen veg is better for adults as it has more vits etc, is this true for babies then. Can u purree up tinned fruit etc in natural juice and the veg in spring water for babies

Love this thread-kieron's just had his 1st taste of baby rice cos although he's only 10 1/2 weeks he's weighin 16+ lb and is drinkin 6x8oz bottles a day and milk just isn't enough for him. But I will only be giving him baby rice for the next few weeks which will hopefully satisfy him a bit longer-he starts suckin his fists after 2 hours usually!

My sisters friend gives her daughter red bull!!!! She's only 15 months old and has been givin her it 'cos she likes it' since she was able to hold a cup!!!!!

I was livid. I took him aside into another room and ranted for about ten minutes on how what they were doing was basically child abuse and she had no hope of ever being healthy. Blah blah.

She drinks coke so has no hope of ever being healthy? Giving a kid coke isnt child abuse rofl. And its not even your kid. Thats a bit far, if you had come to me and told me how to raise my kid id have slapped you in the face.

Anyway on topic, Found this today on annabel karmels site..

• Added fibre in the form of bran which can affect your baby’s ability to absorb calcium, zinc and iron and other vitamins and minerals.

Not sure about the tinned fruit but I use frozen peas and sweetcorn in zacs dinners, they are frozen straight away and have no preservatives in so I think they are good xxx

I was honest though and admitted that i am petrified of leaving my son with them
once he starts weaning.

I feel exactly the same, my MIL has already told me she is going to give him sweets as apparently it's the "grandmothers right"! She also said the is getting him an Easter egg, his is only 9 months! I had a few words after a few vinos (Dutch courage) the other night and she has now agreed to respect my wishes!

Love this thread-kieron's just had his 1st taste of baby rice cos although he's only 10 1/2 weeks he's weighin 16+ lb and is drinkin 6x8oz bottles a day and milk just isn't enough for him. But I will only be giving him baby rice for the next few weeks which will hopefully satisfy him a bit longer-he starts suckin his fists after 2 hours usually!

My sisters friend gives her daughter red bull!!!! She's only 15 months old and has been givin her it 'cos she likes it' since she was able to hold a cup!!!!!

REDBULL to a 15 month old did i just read that right??? :shock:

Redbull gives me heart palpitations, never mind a 15month old, that's shocking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back