Finger foods

Emmamb

Reaction score
I am traditionally weaning Kieron-he's 6 months old and has just comfortably moved onto the 2nd stage (7 month +) stuff. He loves fruit purees-not so keen on my cooking lol.
Anyway I was thinking about introducing a few finger foods-like what blw babies have but haven't got a clue what to give him-it will just be as an extra to his Normal food so he can join in more with mealtimes-any ideas?

toast, bread sticks, soft fruits and vegetables, or slightly cooked vegetables, baby biscuits, cheese sticks etc etc

it will be messy but baby will have so much fun :)

Same as what hope says, but also organix finger foods like carrot puffs, and rice cakes. Zac loves babybel, and homemade savoury muffins, you can also try scrambled egg and omelette. Just be brave when LO gags, give him a few seconds before you react as this is how they learn, there is a difference between gagging and choking. It is great watching them learn to eat finger foods. Good luck xxx

be careful of feeding egg white to a baby under 1 year old though :hug:

Eggs are fine after 6 months as long as they are well cooked and there is no family history of allergy x

Last edited:
hmmm, here in norway its like no egg white until 1 yea old, yolk from 6 months.

He's sat in his highchair with a slice of toast now :) thanks for the advice ladies. I was unsure about the egg cos rules change all the time xx

I'm sure it's fine cos I was looking it up the other day. Trying to find out if zac can have runny yolk now he is 1. It's weird how the rules are different in different countries x

Hi Emma, is it just you and me Tradionally weaning?

Devon has 6 teath so bites off too much at once on finger foods and then gaggs!!

We finely grate cheese and then press buttered chunky bread fingers into it and it sticks well
mini sainsburys bread sticks work well, rusks if you can face the mess!

I need to try veg fingers, have only just got his highchair so we have a tray for him- but have tried apple,pear and banana pieces, but have to hold them as they are all too slippy for him.

What about sweet potato fries? Oooh I might try them

Isla has jars and homemade food along with finger food so I'd consider myself to be traditionally weaning x

On the egg front, my LO has been having egg since about 6 months as I just assumed she could. My health visitor said to me about 2 weeks ago that I could now give her egg :shock: I didnt have the heart to tell him she loves egg and regularly has it for brekkie :D

my Lo has had egg since 6 months too. things change all the time. and im sure it was my HV who suggested it as long as it was fully cooked . x

Hi Emma, is it just you and me Tradionally weaning?

Devon has 6 teath so bites off too much at once on finger foods and then gaggs!!

We finely grate cheese and then press buttered chunky bread fingers into it and it sticks well
mini sainsburys bread sticks work well, rusks if you can face the mess!

I need to try veg fingers, have only just got his highchair so we have a tray for him- but have tried apple,pear and banana pieces, but have to hold them as they are all too slippy for him.

What about sweet potato fries? Oooh I might try them

Lol-I think it's cos were d school mums (and it's quicker so fits in with the other 3).
Wow 6 teeth! Kierons just got 4 but cant believe how quick he's changing-hes not crawlin but can get everywhere! Hope ur all soon well xx

Zac was also traditionally weaned, I started giving finger foods as well, at around 7 months, trying to encourage him to feed himself more now as he is 1 x

A few fingerfood tips is
* when intruduced, make sure hes not too hungry cuz then he will get frustrated
* give 2 bits at time to start with until he stops just shoving it in (took Noa 2 month to stop)
* when he gaggs (he will do for sure) remember its not choking, he's just learning how to move food around the mouth, even if it makes him cough, leave him, he will manage (unless he stops breathig, this very very rarely happends to someone tho) the gaggs reflex is further in the front just for this reason, for them to learn. Noa still gaggs sometimes but not often.
*if u think something is stuck, look in his mouth, if there is a chance u would press it further down, do never put your fingers in. Put him over your ARM, head lowerd n a hard smack in the back
*don't put things in his mouth, he needs to learn n when he Does it himself he's in controll n less chance of choking.
* let him play, getting to know textures n smells is a part of learning!

Thanks i usually feed him before we have our meals which is y I want to introduce finger foods-so we can sit at the table together and even tho he'll have had his tea he can still 'play' with food and textures xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back