Weaning advice required please!

Lucy

Reaction score
Hi

Olivia will be 6 months old in 9 days time, I think we'll start to introduce some foods to her on Saturday but is this still classed as introducing foods/tastes or is 6months the time to "wean"? I know their milk is the most important up until they are a year but I'm just a bit confused about it all!

My HV tells me that as Olivia will be 6 months old when she starts solids I don't need to puree the food I can just mash it and I should give Olivia 1 meal at lunchtime for a week then in the 2nd week give her 2 meals a day and in the 3rd wk give her 3 meals a day. Does this sound right?

Just wondered if anyone has any advice? I'll read some more of the Annabel Karmel book I have but it's nice to hear how and what you all did!

Thanks

Lucy

Hi Lucy
I can't believe that Olivia is so big already!

I don't really know what to advise you on, but I started Oscar on some pureed homecooked veggies/fruit to start with, but very quickly moved onto mashed rather than pureed and he also eats chunks of anything quite comfortably.

I was so proud of him last night, because he ate Chilli con carne (without the chilli) last night and I didnt' even have to mash it up much.
Do what you feel comfy with - whatever you should decide on, remember... it should be a fun and happy time for you both. :hug: :D

Enjoy it - it's a wonderful milestone.... just make sure you have plenty VANISH in the cupboard!

Hugs
Emilia xx :wave:

Agree with Beanie about the BLW :D I give Ella some meals now, but she's onto proper lumpy food when she does have it. Personally I found by starting her with finger foods she's really efficient at feeding herself, when we go out I can happily pop her in her highchair with a selection of foods and let her help herself which is great!

If you want to try Olivia with some mashed down foods, then sweet potato or butternut squash are great. So easy to prepare aswell - just bake them in the over, the skins will come away in your hand, then mash lightly with a fork. If you want to make the consistency a little runnier you can add some ebm, but I'm sure she'll be fine with it :D

A ripe pear is very good to get Olivia used to eating herself - you can help hold it with her and let her suck/bite on it. Ella's favourite fruit is pear, apparently it's close in taste to breastmilk (think it's because it's sweet?).

I'll be the one to warn you though about the interesting poos you'll be having! Gone are the days of easy 1 wipe breastfed baby poo, welcome to the world of scrape-it-off poo during the first stages of her diet change!

Rice cakes are ideal finger foods btw, I can't recommend them enough.

That sounds about right to me hun, But just trust your instincts and go with baby.
Personally i would be wary giving lumps straightaway but they are meant to have the chewing swallowing reflex by now.

How about trying her on baby ceral first or the 7 month one with lumps to see how she goes

I weaned Jack just b4 4 months so i needed to do the runny purree first to get him used to it and he had littl bits of fingerfood by 6/7 months

But i still make a lot of my own food and blend it for him (really lumpy)
Or he will eat fishfinger and waffle sort of things

The baby led weaning looks good though

**EDIT** i love ricecakes too well jack does!! also Tesco seem to do a great range of finger food for all ages, Jack likes the Organix carrot stix they look like giant Wotsits

Hi

I started Kiara a few weeks ago on solids and she didnt like the pureed stuff it has to be in chunks a bit picky i think
good luck
Katrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back