Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamafy

Reaction score
Please give examples of foods you wouldn't give to a

4 month old

6 month old

before 1 year old

I think given some recent threads it would be useful to have it in a thread what we will/or rather won't give to our babies.

Also give reasons why not :)

Personally I wouldn't give any food to a baby under 5/6 months old but if I had to I'd stick to baby rice, fruits and vegetables. I wouldn't give them food because after reading and researching weaning I discovered that a young babies digestive system (under 6 months old) isn't developed enough to absorb all the nutrients and 'goodness' (my word) from food and that they get all they need from milk (breast or formula) until around 6 months old. The exception of early weaning is prem babies because they don't have the same store of iron and other nutrients that full term babies have. I wouldn't give meat because it's harder to digest.

I would not give a baby under 1 (or anybody) ready meals. I wouldn't give a baby under 1 processed foods like frozen pies, chicken kievs, ready made pasta sauces, ready made curries, tinned soups, tinned beans, tinned spaghetti. All of these is because of the salt, additive and sugar content! I also read all labels, never add any salt to food and would only give home cooked food (or if out at say a restaurant, vegetables off the menu) and definately no sweets, chocolate or crisps as they're unnecessary in my eyes. I would also give only water to under ones or diluted fresh juice (not from concentrate) as I don't see the need for 'baby juice'. I'm very fussy about what Seb eats as I know that I'm completely responsible for anything he puts in his mouth and that what he gets now will help shape him growing up. It's a massively huge responsibility x

Edit-I also wouldn't give fast food to under 3's but that really is just me :D

Good idea Mamafy, I think I'll find a thread like this really helpful!

Another way of looking at it is if babies are introduced to a wide range of different foods at a young age (not too young mind!) they may be less likely to be fussy with food later on?

Eva has just started having one small bowl of baby rice mixed with breast milk everyday at lunch and I'm giving that in addition to normal feeds rather than replacing a feed. Soon I'll introduce some porridge for breakfast and pureed fruit or veg for dinner.

Seb has a massively varied diet but none of it is frozen ready food, tinned, fast food or anything that I've said I wouldn't give. I highly doubt not giving him sweets, chocolates, highly processed, fast food is going to turn him into a fussy eater.

I'm only really over cautious with salt because when DD was born a baby died from too much salt in his diet over loading his kidneys and causing them to fail.

Seb has a massively varied diet but none of it is frozen ready food, tinned, fast food or anything that I've said I wouldn't give. I highly doubt not giving him sweets, chocolates, highly processed, fast food is going to turn him into a fussy eater.

I'm only really over cautious with salt because when DD was born a baby died from too much salt in his diet over loading his kidneys and causing them to fail.

My childrens diet is very similar to this. Childrens bodies can't cope well with the amount of salt in some foods, particularly fast food and processed food. I like to home cook our meals x

I HATE mcdonalds with a passion, the amount of salt in their food is criminal! x

I'm probably still a but fussy I avioid
high sodium foods
processed foods
meat mixes , like billy rolls or meatballs they freak me out
peanuts . but I like to give her a taste of everything all the same , a varied diet is a healthy diet after all and she does have the odd treat of milky buttons or ice-cream , but only recently .

Well I have started weaning and its going well :)

Before 4 months - I wouldn't wean

Before 6 months - cereals, bread, meat, citrus fruits,

Before 1 year - shellfish, honey, nuts; in fact I'll avoid nuts and their sources until at least 3 this time as we have 2 peanut allergy sufferes in the house

Im very much like helen and super fussy with what Tegan eats! no processed foods read everything i buy and watch the salt and sugar content in everything xx

Smash :lol: I wouldn't feed my children anything I'm not prepared to eat myself! Which ends ip with me taking a mouthful of things like avocado, looking like im enjoying it and then turning away and gagging :lol:

At 4 months, I only fed fruit and veg, think I introduced little stars at about 5 months! Oh and she had toast and cereal and the odd taste of things, like a suck of a chocolate finger or a lick of a twiglet, cos I'm mean :lol: I don't think their stomachs are ready for richer foods like meat til theyre a bit older! Also no eggs til 6 months!

At 6 months, it became a free for all :lol: although no soft eggs, nuts or peanut butter/nutella, honey, cos of the risk of botulism, even tho it's been extinct for like 50 years! Nothing high in salt, or sugar; I don't cook with salt anyway! Also no juice, I don't agree with it that young, I just don't see why they need it! Water and milk should suffice! Odd treats like milk buttons are ok!

1year, anything goes! Literally anything! Well, within reason! Whatever I'm eatin they're allowed to try, apart from nut stuff, cos I'm paranoid! They have maccy Ds as a treat every now and again and the same goes for crisps and chocolate! Katies had the odd sweet when People offer her them, wouldn't give them under 2 tho! Minnie still doesn't really have juice, only when she steals it off her sister! I don't agree with gving it regularly til they can ask for it themselves!

Ooo and I wouldn't give strawberries or uncooked tomatoes to an under 6m old cos theycan react to them! Or acidic thing like citrus food!

marley has lots of home made purees with any kind of veg, courgettes, sweet potato, potato,carrots, parsnips,broccoli etc etc.

he loves parmesan cheese mixed into it too (the big authentic wedge not the one you buy in a packet). we eat quite an italian diet so he gets meatballs pureed, ragu, bolognese, brodo, all without the salt.garlic seemed to give him the runs so i do it without for him.

i want to experiment with fish for him too.any one know any fish recipes?
he also has the jars of rice pudding & egg custard which he loves!! i also give him a littlestar yoghurt every other day.

things i will not give to him: not judging people who do, its just me personally...
SMASH! lol (see previous thread!)
beans
fast food & take away's
ready meals

if i were to wean again i would wait until 6months and definately go down the blw route!! i didnt feel confident enough this time to do it!

we started weaning Ellie early on as blood test showed her iron levels were very low and also the neonatal staff wanted her to get a little "help" on her weight situation

but til month we only gave baby rice, and the Ellas kitchen pouches

now I have started making things like sweet pot and broccoli, carrots, carrots and broccoli (all blended so there are still some small lumps in them) and freezing them and using as we need them, we also gave her some chicken and mash pot (we dont add salt to any of our foods) and some broccoli blended today, she is doing fab with her weaning and Im glad we were tolf to start

em there are LOADS of things I would give to her and Mia (who is 6) most of which have been named, but each to there own, at the end of the days we all have our own babies and own views

I waited until 6 months for meat, Paige has just had a lick of a chocolate chip as it was in a bit of the cake I gave her. I like her to either eat the jarred food but to be honest, she eats my homemade food now so jars occassionally if I mess up evening times or have no food in. I wouldn't give Paige fast food i.e mcdonalds, but thats only because I dont eat them really. So basically Im agreed with the theory of, if I won't eat it, then she won't. I dont puree at all now, I just chop it with a knife and fork for her and let her go nuts :)

I won't give charley chocolate before a year old or ready meals.
Tbh there's things I still won't let Lacey have. She's not allowed coke or tea or coffee. Food wise she basically has whatever. Yes she has mcdonnalds but only once a week as her treat! She doesn't eat ready meals though but I don't eat them either.

Um, Whats the point of this thread? Other than to have a reference from which to take words and attack those who might feed their baby something you wont?

Um, Whats the point of this thread? Other than to have a reference from which to take words and attack those who might feed their baby something you wont?

Excuse me? Knowledge is power, I have 6 kids but don't claim to know everything which is why 'thats the point of this thread'

I don't do jars! I hate them!

I've always fed the children I childmind home cooked food. When I care for a baby who's weaning it's lots of veg or fruit purees then we start introducing meat (chicken mainly) at 6 months ish, then fish and finger foods after that. Once they're a year they have pretty much everything except for nuts and honey.

I just make a massive batch of pureed food to start with and freeze them in ice cube trays and use the amount I need.

Oh and I only give water/milk as a drink until they turn 1 year unless otherwise instructed.

I'll be doing it exactly the same for my little man when it's his turn! :) x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back