Foods you wouldn't give to a baby.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea they say 6 months, but obvs there are exceptions! They also recommend starting with poultry, cos it's not as high in iron and is a bit gentler on their tummies!

Ooo another one I'd avoid under one, gammon, again cos of te high salt content! And I only Rarely gave pork!

yeah Ellie has had chicken forked in with tatties and peas and she loved it gammon is well salty eh but I must admit I love it x

What would you girls think of fish fingers for Odhrán? I've never tried fish before

Hope they go up for her Claire x

im hopeful :shock: but if not then the transfusion is best for her I suppose but when she was in special care she had a few but one her body rejected the blood was not good

So worrying for you, I know what you mean the transfusion would be good if it would sort it once and for all.. Poor little woman xx

Aw I hope her levels go up! I love gammon too!

I'd give fish fingers too! Think Ella first had them at about 10 months, I'd have never given them Katie at that age, but when you're running about after 2 tiny ones, some things go out the window :blush: my mum was advised to give me them with the crust taken off when I was a baby, cos even tho we lived in Cyprus, they struggled to get hold of fish!!

yeah shes had a few because of the iron levels and it seems to help for a month or so and then her levels drop, but her neonatal team are on top of it and always keep an eye x

Might try some with Odhrán then.. What about raw carrot? That sounds so stupid, but I have never ate veg so am rubbish with ideas.. That's why I like giving him the jars because I know there is plenty in there.. I've gave him fruit but never really ventured into veg on their own x

Aw I hope her levels go up! I love gammon too!

I'd give fish fingers too! Think Ella first had them at about 10 months, I'd have never given them Katie at that age, but when you're running about after 2 tiny ones, some things go out the window :blush: my mum was advised to give me them with the crust taken off when I was a baby, cos even tho we lived in Cyprus, they struggled to get hold of fish!!

Aw Mia loves all kind of fish I just boke when im near it lol but yeah when you have 2 kiddies sometimes its the only way. I once tried to make my own fishfingers, well oh dear they were just mush hahah x

I'm a bit funny with raw carrot cos it's easy for them to choke if they bite off big chunks and try to swallow'

yeah raw carrot is good but I need to puree it for Ellie and she LOVES it I also mix it with broccoli, infact I mix broccoli with everything poor Ellie lol but its good for iron.

I do sweet pot and broccoli, carrot and broccoli, chicken pot and broccoli (with a TINY amount of baby gravy or it dont blend gadz) eh butternut squash and carrot there are loads of diff mixes and then when I blend them I freeze them and tonight I will take out a portion and put it in a tub in the fridge for tomorrow dinner and by the time dinner comes is defrosted x

Broccoli is brilliant finger food. I don't really get the whole blw weaning thing (with the aspect of finger foods), as Paige will eat anything with her hands. If shes having a jar then it's fed with a spoon but homemade stuff she eats herself as its not pureed (ie cottage pie). But melon in slices, broccoli, cucumber, tomatoes ect, theyre good for them to snack on as finger foods :)

Oh i had no idea you couldn't give strawberries!! I just gave Eva a Ella's Kitchen strawberries and apple pouch :-/ worried now!!

I give Eva only home-made vegetable and/or fruit purees, or if I do give her jars/pouches, I only give her Ella's Kitchen or Organix as they are the only ones I've found that seem to have ONLY fruit/veg and water in them. (I am happy to give her Ella's Kitchen and/or Organix though, I don't beat myself up about it) Heinz etc seem to have added preservatives, and I just don't feel happy with Eva having them. We eat really organically, and I do try to make everything myself, no jars/pre-made meals, so I think Eva deserves the same, if not better.

I wouldn't give her processed food or take aways until she was at least 18 months, and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd really be happy giving her them then either. I just don't see the point in introducing unhealthy foods to her diet, who gains from that?! Certainly not Eva. I wouldn't give her meat or dairy before 6 months I don't think. But I'm not really sure other than that. Tbh, I don't have a clue how it works when she starts to eat more than just fruit and veg?! Do I just puree our food?? (I never cook with salt, ever) Do I have to introduce one food at a time in the same way I did fruit and veg?

Also, totally OT but how do I include things like raisins and peas in Eva's homemade food? She loves both in the Ella's Kitchen Pouches, but obviously if I put them through the blender, the "skins" don't really blend in much. Any ideas? Thank you! x

I have got a baby recipe book and it's fab, I make up big batches of food and freeze. When he is a bit older I will just start giving him our food, or a variation (I don't eat as healthily as I should!).

I never really did the one food at a time thing and I've never had any problems, but we don't have any allergies in the family. I have also used peas and the skins blend fine.

Oh and zac was fine with strawberries, I didn't know you weren't supposed to give them either! X

Oh i had no idea you couldn't give strawberries!! I just gave Eva a Ella's Kitchen strawberries and apple pouch :-/ worried now!!

I give Eva only home-made vegetable and/or fruit purees, or if I do give her jars/pouches, I only give her Ella's Kitchen or Organix as they are the only ones I've found that seem to have ONLY fruit/veg and water in them. (I am happy to give her Ella's Kitchen and/or Organix though, I don't beat myself up about it) Heinz etc seem to have added preservatives, and I just don't feel happy with Eva having them. We eat really organically, and I do try to make everything myself, no jars/pre-made meals, so I think Eva deserves the same, if not better.

I wouldn't give her processed food or take aways until she was at least 18 months, and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd really be happy giving her them then either. I just don't see the point in introducing unhealthy foods to her diet, who gains from that?! Certainly not Eva. I wouldn't give her meat or dairy before 6 months I don't think. But I'm not really sure other than that. Tbh, I don't have a clue how it works when she starts to eat more than just fruit and veg?! Do I just puree our food?? (I never cook with salt, ever) Do I have to introduce one food at a time in the same way I did fruit and veg?

Also, totally OT but how do I include things like raisins and peas in Eva's homemade food? She loves both in the Ella's Kitchen Pouches, but obviously if I put them through the blender, the "skins" don't really blend in much. Any ideas? Thank you! x

Yep, once she starts to have a more varied diet i.e meat & fish just blend up whatever you are having for dinner for her (obviously if it hasn't had salt added to it). If it's too stodgy just add some boiled water to make it smoother.

What I do for the two 1 year olds I care for at the moment is give them our 'left overs' from the night before. What I mean is, I make me and my OH a dinner e.g chicken, mash, veg and gravy and whilst i'm serving ours I get 2 bowls ready for them too and then leave it to cool, put them in the fridge and then warm them up for their lunch the next day. If I make way too much (which happens alot) I get 2 pots, fill them up and stick them in the freezer for another day when we have a take away or something they can't eat. x

I think most kids are fine with strawberries and tomatoes, it's just that when they're raw they can make them flare up around their mouths and stuff! Cooked are fine tho! I was probs over cautious!

I used to just give our leftovers too, I've never been a fan of pureed food, I used to either whiz it up a little so it had a few lumps left or just cut it up as they got a bit older! I didn't do proper blw, but just let them explore and eat whatever they fancied!

interesting thread hmm i didnt know about the strawberries either and im on my 5th eek lol i think mine was all over the age of 1 when they actually had them though, quick question why is honey bad apart from it being bad for teeth i mean???
i would never give juice in a bottle ever again i did this with my 1st stupidly and her teeth have been trouble since my youngest we avoided juices for ages and then he only ever had them in a cup and his teeth are beautiful i really love his teeth
as for meals just do as seperate pot for veg with no added salt or just dont salt the veg :)

mine do get a mcdonalds when money permits but then thats a treat

my eldest is a real pain when it comes to eating veg but all my others love veg i dont actually think i did anything different my youngest will eat all fruit and veg i dont think ive found something he doesnt like where the other 2 have their favourates

tbh i dont think ive helped any1 because mine are all older than 1 :lol:

im really interested in blw and need to look into it more if im going to convince the dh this is the way to go as he will panic

summer time treats - as lots of lollies ect have extra sugar in why not do a fruit smoothie and freeze them using 1 of the lollipop makers that way you know exactly whats in them

They say to avoid honey cos of the risk of botulism, but it's been extinct for years! Evie started a thread syin her doctor advised her to give it and that it's outdated the no before 1 year thing!

ah thanks :) i was just think im sure i was told to give honey in boiled water for a cough when they are too young to have cough meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back