Food and milk what do u give first?

Jayceesmumma

Reaction score
I've always given food first then milk but she doesn't drink her milk after and she's getting really fussy drinking milk.. I only give her one food pouch at lunch time.. She's even struggling to drink her morning bottle it takes me an hour to feed her every time she has milk.. Jaycee went off her milk completely when I weaned fully like breakfast lunch and dinner and rarely had milk at bedtime.. Any suggestions??

I've never given milk to Jack just before or straight after a meal, don't see the point if they're going to be ful of food?! He has 7am breakfast, 10am milk, 12am lunch & a piece of fruit (finger food practise!), a fruit pot at 1ish to fill him for his nap, milk when he wakes from his afternoon nap between 3-4pm, 6pm dinner & pud, 8pm milk & bed. If he gets up before 6am i'll offer him milk (rarely drinks any) and then offer brekkie at the usual time. When he was weaning i.e 4-6mths I didn't give him a pudding, I just alternated between savoury and sweet food so he got a taste for both. Hope that helps?! x

Last edited:
i think milk is there main source of nutrients until they are 1 - it would take a very vaired diet to replace all the different vitamins etc in either breastmilk or formula! so i offer milk about an hour before solids. my lo is nearly 9 months and has only just dropped a milk feed now.

I give grace her food inbetween feeds, she will have a bottle around 11:30 so will have lunch about 12:3/1pm and her next bottle is due 2:30/3pm
So far she hasn't dropped any feeds but is taking less per feed during the day

Thanks ladies.. Yeah I was thinking about giving food between feeds.. I dot want her to drop a milk feed yet.. I used to make an 8oz bottle, use some for mixing food then let them drink the rest.. Lily didn't like the rice at all so has the purées.. I don't want to over feed her by feeding her purées between feeds as she will end up having a hell of alot in the day and I think she might be struggling to poo she cries every time and won't drink water or juice no matter how I serve it! Fed her at 2 (purées) and was planning on giving her a bottle at 4 but she's sleeping.. Might get her up at half 4 so her last feed is half 8.. She still sleeps 14hrs at night and is getting up so late in the morning, but I won't wake her early or she will get annoyed and won't drink her milk anyway.. I think she's too young for 3 meals a day isn't she? I don't want her milk intake to reduce that's why I've stuck to just one purée a day.. So hard to figure these kids out they are so different lol!!

Well I tried giving her milk at half 4 and I've had to give up after 2oz she was screaming at it and settled with her dummy.. Chilled out in her chair now playing with her toys.. Really don't wanna miss out a feed of milk with her :(

At this age hun, you need to give q full milk feed followed by food! The milk stays their main source if nutrients til around 1, so they need to have their milk first, as the food won't be as nutrient rich xx

Thanks ladies.. Yeah I was thinking about giving food between feeds.. I dot want her to drop a milk feed yet.. I used to make an 8oz bottle, use some for mixing food then let them drink the rest.. Lily didn't like the rice at all so has the purées.. I don't want to over feed her by feeding her purées between feeds as she will end up having a hell of alot in the day and I think she might be struggling to poo she cries every time and won't drink water or juice no matter how I serve it! Fed her at 2 (purées) and was planning on giving her a bottle at 4 but she's sleeping.. Might get her up at half 4 so her last feed is half 8.. She still sleeps 14hrs at night and is getting up so late in the morning, but I won't wake her early or she will get annoyed and won't drink her milk anyway.. I think she's too young for 3 meals a day isn't she? I don't want her milk intake to reduce that's why I've stuck to just one purée a day.. So hard to figure these kids out they are so different lol!!

Sorry I forgot to write that Jack just had supper at first and had milk every 2.5hrs and then we slowly introduced other meals. My post makes it sound like he went straight onto 3 meals a day! lol x

Well I tried giving her milk at half 4 and I've had to give up after 2oz she was screaming at it and settled with her dummy.. Chilled out in her chair now playing with her toys.. Really don't wanna miss out a feed of milk with her :(

I would say if you don't want to risk her dropping any milk then hold off on the food for now as she'll get all she needs from the milk

Tried her again at 6 and got 4oz out of her.. She's fussy with her milk all the time now not just after food :( maybe she just needed the 8oz every four hrs for her growth spurt??
Gonna give her milk first next time.. When she's finished her pouch of food she sits like a baby chick with her mouth open going aaaaaaaaaaaa waiting for more so I assumed she's still hungry but wouldn't take milk! Maybe I should drop the milk down to 6 or 5 scoops every four hours.. If she's getting food/milk every two hours she won't drink the full amount..

I give it to Angel in between. She usually has a bottle at 6am (she feeds 4 hourly) and I feed her her porridge at around 9am and she has her next bottle at 10am and she responds to this really well :) xx

Each baby is different, you can only try different ways and see what suits. Grace would take 8oz every 2.5/3hours but wouldn't take 9! Now she gets food she still has a bottle every 3 hours but sometimes will only take 4/5oz and sometimes she'll still have the full 8oz

Thanks ladies.. She only took 4oz at half 9 and just wanted to sleep.. She's now got a nasty cold so I'm guessing that's why she's not drinking her milk :( nothing like making it harder lol!!

I always give Jake a bottle first at 8am, 6oz is all he will take and he is always thirsty when he first wakes, then he won't have breakfast until around 10am where he has a little bit of baby porridge and he won't have another bottle until 2pm as he won't take it before then, then dinner at 4:30pm followed by a bottle at 6pm followed by some tea at 8pm and then his final bottle at 9pm xxx

Thanks hun.. Think I'll give food between milk another try.. Just gonna b hard now with this rotten cold she's got :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back