FAO ANYONE who has ever had a bank charge

i sent off mine the other day after recieving my statements, i gave them 14 days to reply to me ... they have 10 days left they owe me 355, not much but enough for a cheap holiday

well an update really,

my dad refused the offer the bank sent us, asked them to prove how they got to that figure, they cant so hes asked them to rethink about there offer, cos we can prove to them how much they have charged etc..

so still a waiting game to see what we get back, hoping for around the £2000 mark, i think thats fair to say over 6 yrs we have had over £5100 worth of charges..

okay...question...

hubby and I both sent our bank letters asking for our charges back, and giving them 14 days to comply.

They DID reply - but all the said in the reply was that their financial services authority gives them 8 weeks in which to deal with complaints, and that they would try and respond within 4 weeks to us in regards to our letters.

I don't know what to do really now. It seems like a fob off. Do they have the right to make us wait that long, or should we just go ahead with taking them to the small claims court after 14 days? (Which is what we stated would happen in our original letters)

hi huni, my dad wrote to our bank giving them 14 days they wrote back within 10 days with an offer, which we havent accepted and hes given them a further 14 days to try and rectify it..

He is now in the process of taking them to the small claims court as they havent responded.. if you have stated that is what you will do, then i would do it,

If my bank offered us within 10 days then they have basically admitted fault by offering to refund us, so yes i would procedd...

i had a letter from the Woolwich, sending my ten pounds back, stating that they hope to get me the information by the 21 May.

BIL had his back but they only sent back 3 years and these total to 1371.26, so what he intends on doing is just requesting double back plus interest. anyone else had this problem.

Xena said:
okay...question...

hubby and I both sent our bank letters asking for our charges back, and giving them 14 days to comply.

They DID reply - but all the said in the reply was that their financial services authority gives them 8 weeks in which to deal with complaints, and that they would try and respond within 4 weeks to us in regards to our letters.

I don't know what to do really now. It seems like a fob off. Do they have the right to make us wait that long, or should we just go ahead with taking them to the small claims court after 14 days? (Which is what we stated would happen in our original letters)

i think the first letter you send has to be for 40 days, once you have worked out the amount you send them a second letter giving them 14 days to confirm the monies are going to be sent.

Tara & Liam said:
Xena said:
okay...question...

i think the first letter you send has to be for 40 days, once you have worked out the amount you send them a second letter giving them 14 days to confirm the monies are going to be sent.

hmm....this (which is what i was following at first)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6170209.stm

seems to say that it's 14 days right from the first letter :?

Xena said:
Tara & Liam said:
Xena said:
okay...question...

the only ones that i had seen were for 40 days. So maybe you should get on to them and ask for a date when they believe that you will have this information.

When you add up the total charges do you include everything like Overdraft charges, presentation of DD whilst O/D charges and stuff like that?

Also, does anyone know how come the banks can still charge these ridiculous amounts if the new law is only £12? Poor OH has been charged over £100 for missing 2 loan payments. They sent the letters to the wrong address!!

They still charge it cos its a default charge ammount on their computer system, and so is generated by a computer. They don't want to admit that they are in the wrong, and by changing their charges, they would be doing so, and would have to automattically pay back everyone. At the moment they are relying on people not hearing about it, not being bothered to do it, not having time, or being scared off by them saying no at the first instance. I'm pretty sure that the banks would be bankrupt if they had to pay back everyone!!

no they shouldnt close your account. if you go on page 13 of this topic there is a clicky from Urchin. go into that and find an email address and ask them. that is a great website.

Sabrina said:
When you add up the total charges do you include everything like Overdraft charges, presentation of DD whilst O/D charges and stuff like that?

Also, does anyone know how come the banks can still charge these ridiculous amounts if the new law is only £12? Poor OH has been charged over £100 for missing 2 loan payments. They sent the letters to the wrong address!!

yes include everything, including overdraft interest if neccessary

the banks can charge it because no customer would ever presume a bank would lie, at the end of the day we are simply too trusting with the banks, no wonder they have multimillion pound profits the way they charge consumers for banking with them

Xena said:
Tara & Liam said:
Xena said:
okay...question...

yes its 14days from the first letter to respond, and then 40days in which to decide if theyre going to give you anything

Sassyminx said:
Xena said:
Tara & Liam said:
Xena said:
okay...question...

yes its 14days from the first letter to respond, and then 40days in which to decide if theyre going to give you anything

Sassy on your letter drafts you have 40 days for the first letter for them to send your statements and then you give 14 days on the second letter once you have added up your statements.

Tara & Liam said:
Sassyminx said:
Xena said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6170209.stm[/url]

Sassy on your letter drafts you have 40 days for the first letter for them to send your statements and then you give 14 days on the second letter once you have added up your statements.[/quote:3iylkopg]

oops my mistake sorry i got it wrong way round, i wasnt concentrating :oops:

i cant wait to get mine. Woolwich have said that they aim to get me my statements by 21 May and Nationwide havent said anything but i know i will get them by the end of this month. :D

im definatly gonna do this, they have tried charging me £40 because i didnt have £3 to pay for a direct debit and say they are gonna charge me £29 each time i dont pay i think is this wrong of them i thin it is as i have no income at the moment :cry:

Xena stick to your time frame. When you wrote back to them requesting your charges be refunded, how long did you put in that letter you'd give them? Mine was 2 weeks and they just sent back a fobbing letter saying they're looking into it etc. Ive just sent off the LBA (letter before action) as they have exceeded the 2 weeks set in my letter without a satisfactory response and gave them a further 2 weeks to respond before I file a claim in court.

Well i sent for mine just after easter from Lloyds TSB and as yet they still haven't arrived :think: I haven't even had a letter saying there looking into it.

for those of you that have net banking and if your with Lloyds TSB then you can download your statements going back as far as July 2002, so then you can see every time you have been charged and just highlight them then add it all up....................to make it easier put a filter on the column that identifies the charge............i'm doing that now and for some of the charges there £60 per charge :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back