FAO ANYONE who has ever had a bank charge

Sassyminx

Reaction score
Im not sure how many of you are aware of this, i did it in august last year and successfully reclaimed back £811 of charges Barclays had charged me, these were charges for going overdrawn when unauthorised, and for bounced Direct Debits, cheques etc.

It will work with ANY bank, im not sure if many of you know, but most banks have reduced their charges from £30 to £12, as this is the legal limit theyre allowed to charge you, anything over this isnt allowed. I know of at least 2 or 3 people who have taken their bank to court as the bank has decided that they dont want to pay back their profit from customers, and the bank has lost EVERY time.

OK so what are the rules?

Under the 1977 Unfair Terms (contracts) Act, the sheer fact that ALL banks make these charges makes this a breach of the act (the example given is exactly that!).

This is also a breach of the 1999 Consumer Credit Act (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts - the OFT is already investigating the charges levied by Credit Card Companies) and possibly the Sale of Goods Act, and many others.

The first thing you need to do is get a copy of your statements, anything upto 6yrs ago, and the statutory fee for this is £10, some banks will send you them for free, but others will charge you.
Once you receive your statements, work out the charges, you can also include the interest at 3% but i didnt do this as wasnt quite sure how to work it out, here are copies of the letter you need to send to get your bank statements...

If you do not keep all your bank statements you will need to send this letter first of which they only have 40 days to respond, failing to do this they will then occur 8% interest charge on your claim.

(your address)

[their address]

(date)

Data Protection Act disclosure request

Dear Sir/Madam

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

Please supply me with a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my bank account since (WHEN EVER YOU WANT AS LONG AS LESS THAN 6 YEARS). Alternatively a complete set of bank statements for that period will be acceptable.

Additionally where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you.

If you are unable to supply data relating to manual intervention because there has been no such manual intervention then please be kind as to confirm this in your response to this request.

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply. Furthermore, if I discover that you have levied disproportionate penalties against me then I shall be reclaiming them.

Yours faithfully,

and once you have received the statements and worked out the amount you are claiming back send this letter......

Request for repayment of charges

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

My request
I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges which you have levied from my account over the last XXXX years
I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

Your responsibilites
I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

What I require
I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX
Additionally you have entered a default notice against my credit record. This default occurred merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you or was the result of impecuniosity caused directly by he taking by you of penalty charges which you had applied unlawfully to my account.

In addition to full payment of the sum mentioned above I require that you remove the default entry from the register. Please note that mere correction or amendment to the entry will not be acceptable.

My targets to resolve this matter
I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting unconditionally my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond or you do not respond positively within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.

Yours faithfully,

[name]

They will not want this matter to goto court and will get back to you. The maximum amount of time the whole process will take prior to you getting your payout will be 80 days. You can offer an agreement stating you will accept a percentage within 7 days i.e if charges over the past 6 years are £1200, give them 7 days to pay £1000 and they will take this offer.

The banks do not want to goto court and will more than likely settle before it reaches this stage. You are best to keep your claim to under £5k to keep within the small claims bracket so that in the very unlikely case it did go to court then you would not be liable for any court charges.

id be grateful if someone could make this a sticky, im sure im not the only one who has been raped by the banks, and im positive it will help 90% of people :clap:

Iv done this! im waiting for the bank to tell me to piss off so i can reply again and threaten them with court! :rotfl:

My OH is going through this at the mo, still havent heard anything yet though. Not sure how long its been, but its been a while!

lol was it my post that started this? I really didnt know about the changes in law regarding charges etc so its nice to know there may be something I can do about it.

However, I rang the bank today (just as a first step before the letter) and said on the phone that all the charges I've had (£25 a time, totalling to £175 within 3 months) are ridiculous and she insisted that they are actual legal charges and they were perfectly within their rights to charge me as I breached the terms of my contract by going overdrawn :roll:

I had to make do with a £250 authorised overdraft offer on my account which gets me out of the shit for now but Im still not happy.

I really want to write a letter and get my money back but to be honest Im scared of the stress, I've been in legal battles before and I absolutely hate the hassle of it all.

So do I just leave it and learn a lesson (never go overdrawn again!!) or go ahead and challenge them?

The woman on the phone today has seriously made me feel like I wouldnt win anything anyway :?

Do you know how much i love you hun? I was in TEARS last week the bank for the last year have been taking 28pound a month out of my account apparently bank charges when i asked why they said "because iv not left enough money in for my charges which makes me go overdrawn and each month i get charged" when i asked what it was in the first place to make me be charged they said the same thing i soent 2 hours going round and round and round in circles. Im going to screw the B*stards like they've screwed me, and Im going to get OH do his too. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

fingerscrossed said:
Do you know how much i love you hun? I was in TEARS last week the bank for the last year have been taking 28pound a month out of my account apparently bank charges when i asked why they said "because iv not left enough money in for my charges which makes me go overdrawn and each month i get charged" when i asked what it was in the first place to make me be charged they said the same thing i soent 2 hours going round and round and round in circles. Im going to screw the B*stards like they've screwed me, and Im going to get OH do his too. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Isn't it a huge relief to find out you can do something about it? I hope you get it sorted out :hug:

Does the matter get passed to your local branch at all?

I really like the staff at mine and if they rang me I'd probably back out of any claim :oops:

Sassy, I've copied and pasted the draft letter you've put in your post (just the second one cos I dont need the first, I've worked out all the charges), and after changing the bits I need to and wording things to reflect my situation Im quite confident about sending it. The worst they can do is say no but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it :) :hug:

Minxy, I doubt it'll get passed to your local branch. It'll all be dealt with by their legal department or some other bit of the office :)

yes hun iv just breathed a huge sigh of relief and copied both letters Ian gets home Friday so instead of a nice cosy night infront of the fire im getting two ten pound postal orders and we're sending our letters ooooh its exciting.

send letter to yr local branch or head office, i hope im being helpful.

tbh everyone in the bank will try and fob you off and tell you that you wont get anywhere over the phone, barclays told me it was in my terms and conditions and i breached them by going overdrawn, so i said " well that doesnt make it legal does it" and the woman just stuttered and said send a complaint in if im not happy.

Most people wont challenge a bank, cos lets face it theyre not gonna break the law are they

FALSE

the banks are making multi million pound profits, and it doesnt take a genius to work out why does it :wall:

x-kirsty-x said:
Sassy, I've copied and pasted the draft letter you've put in your post (just the second one cos I dont need the first, I've worked out all the charges), and after changing the bits I need to and wording things to reflect my situation Im quite confident about sending it. The worst they can do is say no but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it :) :hug:

Minxy, I doubt it'll get passed to your local branch. It'll all be dealt with by their legal department or some other bit of the office :)

yes the bank will more than likely send you a response from their head office, barclays waited til the very last day they could before offering me £811, they said it was a " goodwill gesture" and they believed that i was in the wrong about them illegally charging me, but for all my " time and effort" ( about 10mins to type the letter and write a cheque) were willing to offer me £811

it even came up on my bank statement as a " goodwill gesture"

dont make me laugh :rotfl: more like they were sh*tting theirselves that it was going to go to court and cost them an absolute fortune

:( My OH has been charged alot over the years ranging from £50-£500 and he could claim it back but due to the fact he took a loan out of £10,000 a while ago he's decided not to as they have the right to close his account afterwards and ask for all the money he owes them back :(

Princess_Puddles said:
:( My OH has been charged alot over the years ranging from £50-£500 and he could claim it back but due to the fact he took a loan out of £10,000 a while ago he's decided not to as they have the right to close his account afterwards and ask for all the money he owes them back :(

i took a £6500 loan out with barclays, and ive also got an overdraft, theyve never taken either off me since i got the money back, theyre not likely to close a customers account over their wrongdoing contrary to popular belief

fingerscrossed yep, i got into that vicious circle a few years ago, and i think one month i tallied up £200 odd of charges cos every time they took the charge off me i got more and more in debt

I have to agree with sassy - this is well worth it - i got told it was a 'goodwill' gesture.

Me & OH both did it I got back £282.00 (A & L) he got back just over £4500 (Lloyds) :oops: he claimed back over last 5 years (you can claim back 6 years worth i think?) he got charged loads when he was student then when we set up business and he had no income :wall: they even made him sign something to say he wouldn't publish his story (i.e. wouldn't go to the papers etc :lol: ) they paid mine by chq (as they'd closed my account) DF got paid into his account - a week before court date.

Ooh me and my OH have lost our rag with our bank. Our gas supplier took out more money then they should, and we got charges for missing other DDs. Then the charges were taken out and we were charged again as we thought we had enough money etc etc. So we decided to change banks. Our old account is still opened 9we are waiting for the gas to pay us the original charge back) so it might be worth doing this.

Sassyminx i could just kiss you seriously im skipping from room to room and so happy now, if this works and they pay me back the charges ill send you some flowers, depends how much i get refunded u might just end up with some dandellion petals in an envelope if its not much! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

beanie said:
Ooh me and my OH have lost our rag with our bank. Our gas supplier took out more money then they should, and we got charges for missing other DDs. Then the charges were taken out and we were charged again as we thought we had enough money etc etc. So we decided to change banks. Our old account is still opened 9we are waiting for the gas to pay us the original charge back) so it might be worth doing this.

btw it also works on credit cards, if theyve charged you for late payments etc

its worth doing for any amount imo, why should banks walk all over customers, your doing them a favour banking with them so why should they financially profit from it?

tbh ive just realised i had an alliance and leicester account and i probably had a few hundred quid of charges off them as well, could probably put a claim in with them as well :cheer:

a lot of people reckoned i wouldnt get it but i got money, so know it works, and it wasnt just a small amount, one of our mates got nearly £3k back off his bank :cheer:

fingerscrossed said:
Sassyminx i could just kiss you seriously im skipping from room to room and so happy now, if this works and they pay me back the charges ill send you some flowers, depends how much i get refunded u might just end up with some dandellion petals in an envelope if its not much! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

LOL dont worry about it, if it wasnt for that thread kirsty started i would have forgotten all about it,

surely us mums need the money more than most, im just glad i can help, if anyone needs any more help just send me a PM :wave:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back