FAO ANYONE who has ever had a bank charge

Had a letter this morning from Natwest offering £1,038.00 of our charges back so we are really pleased!

happy_chick said:
Had a letter this morning from Natwest offering £1,038.00 of our charges back so we are really pleased!

Great news. :dance: I shall tell my OH. I'm sure it will cheer him up.

Thanks Jo.

:cheer: we got our money back on friday..

all of £1260 of it.. we can pay our mortgage arrears now and not have to worry about loosing our house! :cheer: :cheer:

good luck to anyone still waiting! :hug:

Ive reclaimed! Only took about 2 1/2 months :cheer: :cheer:

Didnt get as much as I was owed, but ive settled as they wouldnt probably offer me anymore.

Looking for a car now!! :cheer:

It does work girls.... stick with it!!! :hug: :hug:

Hubby and I have just received letters from Halifax saying that they are not going to give us back our bank charges because it's within their Terms and Conditions to charge when you've gone overdrawn.

What now? Do we take them to Small Claims Court?

My FIL gets charged £72 everytime he goes overdrawn (that seems higher than most ppl, what do you guys get charged if you dont mind me asking ^^; )

But he's refusing to claim it back because he's heard ppl are starting to lose against the banks and having to fork out for the banks fees for the courts :wall: What should i tell him? He's probably been overcharged by £1000 this year alone

Xena said:
Hubby and I have just received letters from Halifax saying that they are not going to give us back our bank charges because it's within their Terms and Conditions to charge when you've gone overdrawn.

What now? Do we take them to Small Claims Court?

Beacuse of a high level of people reclaiming bank clarges, the banks are stopping people from reclaiming. If you take them to court you now run the risk of lossing money, not regainning. It was on the news the other day and in the paper. The banks are changing their terms and con so that they now dont have to give back charges. So my advice is, if you want to reclaim do it in the next couple of months.

this is something that i just cant get my head around. Surely if the banks owe you money then they just cant change their policy and suddenly stop refunding you. The cases of banks going to court and the people not getting their money back is very very small, and only seems to be for people with businesses.

Tara & Liam said:
this is something that i just cant get my head around. Surely if the banks owe you money then they just cant change their policy and suddenly stop refunding you. The cases of banks going to court and the people not getting their money back is very very small, and only seems to be for people with businesses.

i was thinking that too. no idea how they can just up and change their T&C like that. I mean, the whole reason ppl are claiming is because they are charging more than legally allowed! I certainly know the £72 my FIL pays is more than the cost for the bank to deal with the overdraft. They never even send a letter!

Why doesnt the government do something??

i am waiting just over three weeks for a response from nationwide. not very happy with them, will have to send letter number 3 out on monday.

are banks still giving out refunds?

i called my bank alliance and leicter a few months back about 3 charges, the lady said i would have to write in about getting them all paid back (£25 each) or she could remove one there and then.

so i just got the one removed forgot about the rest

just called now as they are taking £25 of me next week for a unotherised overdraft the woman was so arsy she was not having any of it said i have agreed to the terms and conditions its in my contract its not unlawful bla bla fooking cow

all because nspcc tryed taking £2 out but i had no money in my account 3 times this has happened with nspcc so i have just cancelled the money i give them now :(

feel bad

dionne said:
are banks still giving out refunds?

i called my bank alliance and leicter a few months back about 3 charges, the lady said i would have to write in about getting them all paid back (£25 each) or she could remove one there and then.

so i just got the one removed forgot about the rest

just called now as they are taking £25 of me next week for a unotherised overdraft the woman was so arsy she was not having any of it said i have agreed to the terms and conditions its in my contract its not unlawful bla bla fooking cow

all because nspcc tryed taking £2 out but i had no money in my account 3 times this has happened with nspcc so i have just cancelled the money i give them now :(

feel bad

The same happened to me & OH in our joint account with Cancer Research for £2 a couple of times so we cancelled the direct debit too, how annoying when you go a couple of pounds over and get charged £25 :twisted:

I have started to receive copy statements back from HSBC now, and boy is the total adding up!!! I can't beleive how much they've been charging us over the last 6 years!
My questions are:
1. I think they are allowed to charge a max of £12 per month for exceeding your overdraft. Does this mean that if they've charged us £25 I can only claim back £13 of that??
2. How about charges for using cashpoint machines including abroad? My hubby was away for best part of a year and got charged a couple of pounds every time he withdrew money. Can we claim this back too if over £12 per month?
3. Interest charges, often amount to over £12 per month also. Can we claim these?
Hope someone can help me, I am very keen to get things moving especially in light of the last few threads regarding banks starting to refuse to pay back what we are all rightfully owed !!! :evil:

OvertheMoon... my OH added up all his charges, every one on his account, and sent the letter in with that total. He didn't have charges for withdrawing overseas though.. I'm not sure about whether you can include those.

Most of the banks seem to offer a settlement slightly lower than the amount you claim anyway so we just thought it best to include everything.

bump
Now I'm unsure whether to try and claim or not.... we have a few accounts with the same bank you see including our one overseas here and I dont wanna get into any nastiness which could make things difficult for us here...........

im getting my bank charges back

well i wrote to natwest telling them i wanted them to refund my charges as all of them are unfair so they sent me all my bank statements and i had to tell them what charges and the dates etc so i wrote back saying if they would refund my charges immediately i would not include any interest
recently got a letter saying they do not agree that they should give me any of my charges back, but as a gesture of goodwill they are giving me £403, my total bank charges was only about £450
ive sent the letter off saying i accept the 'gesture of goodwill' and it will take 10-12 days to get the money
im well chuffed :cheer:

in all its taken about 4months

Yesterday my OH received a letter from NatWest (1 day before the 6 weeks they promised) with a load of excuses saying "banks can charge customers.... here's our leaflet of charges.... we don't accept your claim as valid.... etc etc etc" blah blah blah :(

HOWEVER, on the 2nd page of the letter they said "However, as a gesture of goodwill, and whilst assuming no liability for the claim..... we'd like to offer you £2702 in full and final settlement" :clap: :dance: :) Woo-Hoo!

This is the FULL amount he claimed in charges. The first time we added it up we thought it was £2400 but when I double checked the statements it was more so we decided to claim for it all - and they are refunding the whole lot!

OH is over the moon :D He's promised to take me on holiday when the baby is old enough as a thank you! :dance:

I'm also on the halifax one, having to send out the letter *after* them saying no they wont refund.. I'm worried though in case they actually want to go to court so don't know if I should send it :(

I dunno whether to send mine if they are finding loop holes.

I don''t get how they can suddenly say we're allowed to do it, if it's illegal and we haven't signed a contract :think:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back