exercise and diet 1st tri

treeze

Reaction score
hi everyone - just wondered if anyone had any views or expericnce of starting exercise and dieting in 1st tri.. In my last pregnancy i put on 5 stone which i do not want to do again this time.

I joined a gym a few weeks ago and went for my induction today.. the plan they have come up with for me is as follows and i just wanted some opinions really and to double check it is ok to go ahead with this...

i have not been doing any excersize up to now and so the instructor said i have to start very gradually with 15 min walk and 15 min recline cycle just once a week.... also swim once a week (i have already been doing this) and aquasize class once a week... so that will be 3 gentle forms of excerise a week for 6 weeks and then review it....

regarding diet / calories i read in mother and baby magazine that contrary to popular belief you do not need extra calories until the 3rd tri at which point it is only an extra 200 to 300 cals a day.

i am quite looking forward to getting a bit fitter for this pregnancy and i have heard it helps...

any tips or advice appreciated....

i've pm-d you :)

(Sorry, just wanted to add that I've only spotted that you had already been swimming before preg too)

Last edited:
In tri one, stick to your normal exercise regime, 50-70% intensity, jog or fast walk, walk 20 mins 3x a week, swim for 20mins 3x a week, light weights to build upper body strength. I'm a personal trainer and that's what I'd advise pregnant clients. This is what I do, well I do more than that now, but this is a decent guideline! Hope that helps! Xx

thanks honeyloops and flexilexi... thanks for the advise... yes one of my concerns really was that i don't have an excersize regime at all up until now! i am completely unfit and haven't excersized for years!!!

recently joined the gym knowing that we were going to start ttc and wanted to ideally get a bit fitter before becoming pregnant but eveything happened a bit quicker than i expected... so even the swimming i have only been doing a couple of weeks...

i am taking it very easy and my instructor seemed to know her stuff about pregnancy too and was very thorough.

so this is my plan:

mon - 15 mins cycle machine & 15 mins walking on the treadmill
wed - 20 mins swimming breaststroke
fri - 45 min aquasize class

do you think this is ok? they all seem like such little effort that i wonder if they will do anything!?!?! but i want to start really gently... and my calves were slightly sore after the aquasize last week!

feel so good to actually be doing something to try and avoid putting on 5 stone this time though! i went up to 17stone in my first pregnancy... made it back to 13stone for my wedding last year and have already gone back up to about 14stone 7. (I am 5ft10)

FROM LOOKING AT YOUR PLAN IT IS VERY VERY GENTAL SO IM SURE THAT YOU WILL BE FINE! i am 7 weeks prego and i go to aerobics twice a week, step once a week, swimmining a mile once a week, an a short wieghts session.i ave just done it all a little slower and lighter than normal, i will continue with this until i cant any longer, and may cut down tone day or so.
i have 2 say though working an having a 3year old i am getting increasingly tierd!!! earlier so finding it a little more difficut to fit all this in!
i think you are doin the right thing by doin gental exercize!!! you will feel the benefits, let us all know how you get on an what ur reccommeded after your first programme! gud luk x

Hi misty - OMG! my exercise plan looks VERY gentle compared to yours!!! lol!good for you.. .were you exercising before?

I think the instructor suggests that in 6 weeks time i can start trying some small free-weights to tone my arms... but other than that she didn't say much else... it is good i have to have all the tests i had today done again with her in 6 weeks... blood pressure, strength test, flexibility test, weight, lung capacity, body fat % (eeeek didn't like that one) - she could even do a test to see how much water i have and says i must drink lots more! I haven't exercised for years and years and i have never even used a gym before 3 weeks ago!

I have a 3 and half year old and work too! i am manageing to get the gym in whilst she is at nursery each morning so that has worked out well. I work in the evenings and i am ready to drop by the time i get home at 10 or midnight!

i am hoping to notice the benefits soon and i have been really healthy eating since i found out about my bfp too.

thanks for the reply and i am well impressed by your exercising..!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back