Excersize during 1st tri

Chrissy1

Reaction score
Hi ladies

do any of you have any good advice on what excersize I can and can't do during my first tri??

I normally do spinning classes (two a week), I jog when I take the dog out (about 20 minutes a day) and I have a tai-bo DVD that me and my DH do in the house about 3 times a week..... God that makes me sound like I'm really fit and healthy!!!

I was just wondering if it was still ok to do all these now I'm pg or if I should hold back from spinning which is more intense and physical than the others.

As i get further along i was planning on taking up yoga as I've heard that the breathing and stretching can help during labour.

Any advice would be appreciated.

cheers
c

I would say give it a couple more weeks hun and exercise will be the last thing on your mind - you will be feeling sick and soooo tired all you will want to do is sleep :rotfl:

Xxx

Lindsay said:
I would say give it a couple more weeks hun and exercise will be the last thing on your mind - you will be feeling sick and soooo tired all you will want to do is sleep :rotfl:

Xxx

he he quite true! be prepared to get considerably more aquainted with your bed and sofa!

Bless you :hug: Yoga is apparantly REALLY good to help with stretching as well and can soothe baby as you get bigger :D

As long as you're not doing vigorous excersise I'm sure you'll be fine hun! Although baby is well protected in there, don't do anything too strenuous...

And yes, you sound 100% more healthy than me right now! (Me=Lazy bum)
xxx

I think I read as long as you dont over do it and its excercise you already do so your body is used to it then thats fine, but you will probably find soon, like others have said, that you just wont feel up to it. I did alot of jogging and using my stepper before finding out I was pregnant and I tried to jog once and ended up wretching after a few feet and havent tried again since the jigging of alot of excercise is really no good with the nausia and the its amazing just how exhusted you feel but good on you if you can keep going through 1st tri!

I intend to go back to swimming 2/3 times a week when the tiredness and nausia improve and I'd also like to start yoga excercise through pregnancy is ment to help with the birth, or so ive read anyway!

In first tri your body is doing the work of your placenta. And having to work a lot harder to pump blood round your body and to your womb and so on.

Its advised to not do anything overly strenuous and to avoid contact sports. I'd talk to your MW about how high you can safely raise your heartbeat/pulse to, as going past a certain point deprives other parts of your body the oxygen it needs. Also you don't want to overheat as this is not good for LO in there.

A lot depends on how fit you are now, and how much you can cope with as time goes on. I started off feeling great, worked out, walked miles, got to 6 weeks and then all I could do was sleep and climb up the stairs to use the bathroom, and even that was knackering. I finally woke up and felt better around 14 weeks, but by then could not do as much as I used to before being PG.

I still walk lots, but make sure my pulse doesn't run away from me otherwise I am depriving oxygen from elsewhere where its needed. Mind you, I'm so flipping huge now I get out of breath walking up the stairs :roll:

As others have said, the key thing is not to raise your heartbeat in excess of 120 bpm (I think) and also you mustn't raise your body temp too much.

I would check with the midwife but I expect she will say if you are already doing these classes then they will probably be fine (providing you watch temp and hb) but you must avoid anything with contact.

TBH you probably won't have the energy to do the exercise, first tri is a killer in terms of energy levels and you'll probably feel better either doing nothing or just having a gentle walk or swim.

thanks for the helpful advice ladies.... tbh if I feel anything like I do at the minute I don't think I'll have the energy!!

It's my first day back work today after being off poorly for a week and since I found out I was pg, and I could just curl up under my desk and go to sleep!! I've been to the loo and nearly nodded off while I was in there... :rotfl:

Id be surprised you'd be able to get out for a work, I cancelled my gym membership and was so glad cause all i do now is eat, bath and watch an hou0r of telly and im conked out!!

I think it eases up in a few more weeks though so going to start walking and swimming then...

xx

I am really hoping that I get some energy back soon. I want to start swimming during my lunch hour a couple of times a week!

Chrissy I am so impressed at your fitness, in fact I am feeling very tired just having read about it ;)

I'm not doing anything at the moment because I'm sooooo tired in the evenings.

I'll be going back to my yoga class as soon as I feel better and am out of the first tri.

I would do gentle exercise in the first tri, when you're over the sickness/tiredness you can pick up your normal routine. Depends how you feel really.

Hi girls,

I take yoga twice a week, and my instructor has given me some different exercises now that she knows I am pregnant (it is important to tell your yoga instructor as he or she may not be qualified to teach you when you are pregnant - FYI). She said that yoga can really help with the labour (which, lets face it, is always good to hear!!) and she does a breathing class once a month, which might be useful.

Anyway, hope this helps.

OMG! My yoga instructor just called and told me that she had made a mistake and that I shouldnt take yoga until I am past the 12 week mark! I am disgusted!!!! So now I cant do the only two healthy things I normally do, drink tons of green tea and do yoga. :evil: :wall: :evil: :wall:

WHAT!!! You can't drink green tea???? I didn't know! I had one yesterday with mint (my first one since falling pregnant) Should I not have that?

I am having one cup a day (maybe two) but because of this, I take more folic acid (10mg). Seemingly green tea affects the absorption of folic acid, which is not good.

But one cup is fine... I am sure you have nothing to worry about. :wink:

Thanks Ani, I didn't realise - I just thought instead of having tea and coffee I would start drinking more herbal - trust me to pick that one!! I am taking Sanatogen Pronatal anyway which is 700mg of folic acid and I eat tonnes of brussell sprouts...a bit of a weird craving!! So it will be fine :)

Mmmmmmmmmmmm...... brussel sprouts - yummy. Now I want some... no fair. :)

I thought I was the only person in the world who lurrrrrrves brussel sprouts???

I didn't realise there were others who were aware of the beauty that is that little green ball on a plate.......... I feel like I've just had a vision of heaven :rotfl:

Ignore me......I'm feeling very wierd today! but I do love the sprouts though.... can't eat a roast dinner without them LOL

haha thats so funny - I fry off some bacon and onion then add them and its lovely :lol:

How on earth did this topic go from "exercise" to "brussel sprouts"??? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Classic... I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back