Just got my BFP... can I do vigorous exercise?

fluff

Reaction score
Hi all...

As of today, I'm joining you guys in the 1st Tri! :wave:

I got my 1st BFP this morning and Im' now wondering about exercise.

I've always kept fit, and want to do so throughout my pregnancy. I go to kick boxing twice a week, but I'm worried this really isn't the sort of sport I should be doing if pregnant!

The exercise is quite full on, and of course I could get a kick or punch in the stomach (or my poor sore boobs!), so I'm wondering if I should give it up sooner, rather than later.

What do you think? I'm not one for being a wuss.... I love a bit of tough exercise, but I don't want to do any damage - this BFP is fantastic and I want to make sure I keep it.

Has anyone got any advice for me?

Thanks...
xx

thats fab news and i think the sport coulld be dangerous
stick to some gentle daily exercise

If you already do regular excersize then you still can just dont over exhert yourself and i think i would probably give the KB a miss from now on, like you said its not really worth the risk.

Congrats on your BFP, hope it all goes well for you :D

Congratulations on your news!

I should think it might be dangerous but you're best off talking to your GP/midwife I think - just to be on the safe side.

I've heard yoga is apparently really good for mother & baby - nice and gentle.

xx

Congrats on your BFP.

I would calm the exercise down to something a little more relaxing xxx

I'd calm it down from now on in. Any kind of kick or punch to your torso could be damaging to your baby. I'd stop kickboxing right now. I'd veer away from anything contact sport wise and move over to singluar cardio and so on. Cycling, yoga, walking, swimming, all good.

Whatever you do exercise wise you need to ensure your heartrate doesn't go too high and so on as this deprives baby. And avoid overheating also. I'd go see your MW and discuss what kind of things you can do and the limits you can push it to so you can be aware of what your babys needs are and you don't overdo it and put him/her at risk.

TBH, in first tri your body is working so hard to get the placenta in place and working you don't have much energy for anything vigorous once that really kicks in.

Thanks so much girls - that's exactly what I was thinking, but I didn't want to be assuming that I can't do it...

I've made my first GP appt for tomorrow morning, so I'll talk to him then about things and get a good handle on what i can do. I went to the gym this morning and was trying to do some cardio without going too mad. It's so hard to know isn't it... getting the balance right of trying to keep fit and trying to look after the bean at the same time.

I'm so early in that I'm not getting the mad tiredness yet... but once that kicks in (no pun intended!) I'm sure I'll be too tired to KB anyway!! :rotfl:

Thanks once again!!

kick boxing is prob a bit much but ive been going to the guy till about 30 weeks. I stopped running on the treadmill but been doing cross trainer, bike etc. Been swimming regularly too. Its good to keep fit, i have 5 weeks left and can still run down the road, stairs etc. It makes labour easier - apparently :lol:

NO! no kickboxing missy...

Walking wold be good and i also heard swimming is very good but i think thats AFTER 1st tri can someone confirm?

x

I used to kickbox but there is absolutely no way I would do it whilst pregnant. Your instructor shouldn't let you if he has any sense. As you know its so easy to get a kick or punch in the stomach, and anyway, even if you could avoid the direct contact you'll get way too puffed out, heart rate and temp will be too high and you'll probably puke!

It's just not worth the risk.

congrats!

I'm with the other girls on the kickboxing - I wouldn't feel safe

Swimming is good to do - just avoid the kids with their messy legs - those kicks hurt too :( I teach swimming lessons and spend half my time avoiding legs as I teach in the pool

Congratulations again fluff, hope you have a lovely first Tri, and that you can keep going with some form of safe exercise, very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hiya,

I went to see my GP yesterday and he said it would be ok to continue for now, once I didn't do any contact aspects of the KB. He said the exercise itself would be great. The only problem is that it's sooooo hard NOT to get a kick or a punch at times because the nature of it is that these things happen when you're not expecting them!! :shock:

So... I decided that I'll go to my class on Monday and tell my instructor what the story is & that I can't do it any more. What makes it worse is that a girl just came back to KB and she had been doing it up until the 6-7 month mark ( I didn't know her then). I don't know how she did though... she must have literally done nothing....

So, I'm definitely giving it up as of Monday and I'll spend my KB time at the gym instead so that I can control exactly what I'm doing.

Sunnyday - I know what you mean about the heart rate too... sometimes I come out of the class with a bad headache, feeling like I want to puke just because the work out was so hard... and so that can't be good either!!

Definitely the gym from now on for me!!

I think I'll go for a swim this morning - something a bit more gentle :angel:

Well then that woman is a bi foolish because that can cause harm to her baby.

I used to do kickboxing, its just not safe...

You can always go at it full throttle after the birth :)

x

i'm exercising by lifting the family sized galaxy...god its heavy..

I like your style sparky.... I might have to take some of your advice... sounds ALL good to me... :D

if you've been exercising you're fine now keeping up as much as you feel like doing. But not kickboxing, its just too much to risk if you got kicked in the stomach.

I'm still weight training with a watered down version of what i was doing previously (am/was a pro bodybuilder) and i'm avoiding any movements that goes against my instincts. During first tri i had a lot of tiredness and if i didnt have the energy i didnt train, simple as that,listen to your body!

There's no reason to turn into a couch potato, in fact if you have been a regular exerciser its as bad for your body to stop completely, as it would be for a non-exerciser to take up a sudden intensive routine!

Thanks gymbabeliz... I imagine as a pro body builder, it must be hard giving over your body to your baby!! Still... I reckon you'll be in the best shape out of all of us after the birth and bounce back in no time!!

I was talking to one of my friends earlier who is pregnant and I said that if I gave everything up because I was pregnant, then I'd find myself going bonkers... I need the gym as much as anything else to keep my sane mentally and also I think to be fit is good for me and for my baby.

I just need to get the balance right... I've given up the kick boxing and I'm now using the gym and I'm swimming too. I was wondering about the weights machines and what's good/not good... so it sounds like once I'm sensible about it all I can just continue away as I am (until the tiredness hits me...!! and the morning sicknes...!!)

Thanks!!
xx

God i soud like an old woman!!!

Sorry didnt mean to come across like that lol!

I need some excercise i miss my flat tummy but looking forward to a rounded one!!

x

gymbabeliz said:
if you've been exercising you're fine now keeping up as much as you feel like doing. But not kickboxing, its just too much to risk if you got kicked in the stomach.

I'm still weight training with a watered down version of what i was doing previously (am/was a pro bodybuilder) and i'm avoiding any movements that goes against my instincts. During first tri i had a lot of tiredness and if i didnt have the energy i didnt train, simple as that,listen to your body!

There's no reason to turn into a couch potato, in fact if you have been a regular exerciser its as bad for your body to stop completely, as it would be for a non-exerciser to take up a sudden intensive routine!

I miss my weight training so will probably return after as too scared to do it now after what happened b4.
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back