Epidural

xshauna_bazx

Reaction score
I know im only early ...

Has anyone had an epidural before if so what are your experiences with them?

What does it feel like when they do it?

Does it hurt?

I had an epidural with my first. Though this was nearly 19 years ago!

From what I remember the hardest bit was bending forward for the needle, but I didn't feel a thing. I was in labour for a while first though. Next thing I remember was the utter bliss of no pain anymore! It did seem to take longer to push him out, I think it took about an hour. As you're numb, you don't feel contractions so have to be monitored for them and I think you're limited to just the one position.

Sorry it's not more detailed, but that really is all I can remember! Good luck

The epidural itself doesnt exactly hurt, its just uncomfortable as you have to lean forward and not move at all while they insert it in your back. which is very hard when your having painful contractions. For me it was a complete waste of time... when they first did it , it completely numbed one side so i was in agony on one side and not the other. They told me to lay on my side to make it work and as soon as I did that it stopped working completely. So it made no difference to my pain at all. When my mum had children the epidural never worked for her either. I didnt like any of the pain drugs they give you, eveb hated gas and air so dont know what im going to do this time.... :D

Every one is different hun, i had one with my first and wish i never did! I'll spear the details but i said i would never have one again, and i didn't with my other 3. x

yeah bending forward i thought the man was putting needle in and he was pushing his thumb in lol so that was the sorest bit haha it was fine and worked great for me! :D xx

I know you can't really decide what pain relief you're having til in the situation, but for some reason I really don't want an epidural. Nothing to do with the needle or whatever. I just don't like the thought of somethin going into my spinal chord. I don't take medicine because of personal belief in invading the body with unnatural things, and I am not really keen to pierce a hole in my spinal chord. Personal preference and all, but if I really really can't deal with the pain I'll have one. I just hope I can keep control! X

Thank im sure you will get through it fine. Im a massive wimp! xxx

i really didnt want an epidural but ended up having two in the space of 9 days and neither while i was in labour/ giving birth!!!! Do not believe the horror stories you hear!! Yes it is awkward how they want you to sit as you have a bump in the way but its not painful!! It feels like you have a hot water bottle across your back/bum and a tingly feeling goes down your legs and then your all numb and have to be helped to lay down!!! and afterwards it took me about an hour each time to get the feeling back in my legs!!

Thanks i think i do really want one... obviously im going to see if i can handle it first but i cant even handle pains when i need the toilet lol xxx

I had one with my 1st, and it worked fine. The reason i didn't with the next to was that it did make birthingseem like a medical phenomenon rather than a natural one with drips here and there, constant monitering, having people tell you what to do rather than relying on your own body. You have to do what suits you xx

Yeah, your more likley to need stitches too arent you? as you arent relying on what your body is telling you to do xxx

You are more likely to have stitches because ur only supposed to push during a contraction which you can't really feel lol. I've had a tattoo and several piercing including 2 nipple piercings so I can handle needles and pain but I still don't want an epidural. lol xx

I had a massssssssive tear with the epi!

Last edited:
I had one 5 weeks ago, agree with the others, it's hard bending forward during contractions but once it's in and working I didn't feel a thing (c section). If anything the catheter hurt more than the epidural!!

Emma x

i had 2 of theses they feel amazing haha! no feeling at all! :D
altho after 2 my back now plays havock with me! but if i go all the way with this one this is my 3rd c-section so i get my baby 2weeks early! :) x

hello shauna,

i ended up having an epi with my first lil boy,

i didnt plan to have anything and wanted this nice water birth lol, (i thought i can handle pain well) but it didnt pan out that way

birth is a wonderfull thing but it also hurts ALOT, it hurts peopl on different degrees as we are all made different n each pregnancy is very different, my little boy got stuck so that y i ended up having a epi coz the pain was so intense, in the end i ended up having a section anyway after reach 10cm an 2 days of labour i was gutted but his lil heart beat stopped so it was all gogogo

im just going to go with the flow n fingers crossed it will be ok, but i wouldnt rule out an epidural if i needed one x x

I'm pretty sure I want an epidural - not keen on the thought of needing a cathetar but definitely don't want no pain relief and would like to stay away from the opiates that make you out of it as would like to be clear of mind if possible...

Do you have to be stuck on the bed on your back if you get an epidural?

ive never had 1 so cant help really but i dont think id ever want 1 i dont like feeling resricted i dont even like some 1 holding down my legs so i dont think id consider the epi unless i needed a c section but im a weird 1 that loves labour lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back