Elliot Lloyd Cook - 3 Dec 2010 - bit of a saga

karenandbump

Reaction score
Hi ladies….
Finally got around to posting my birth story and it’s a bit of a saga I’m afraid….
I was aiming for a VBAC following a section with my little boy 2 years ago where after 2 days of labour I failed to dilate past 1cm at which point my waters broke full of meconium and Harrison got into distress and was delivered by emergency section. I’d had a low lying placenta so it was thought that cord compression had been the problem so with this pregnancy there was no reason not to try for a VBAC.
On Monday 29 Nov I started getting period kind of cramps and had my consultant’s appointment on the Tuesday. He attempted to do a sweep but I was only 1 cm dilated and couldn’t be stretched (which was exactly what happened when I had Harrison). After he tried to sweep me on the Tues morning I had contractions that got up to every 3 mins apart so went in to hospital on the Tues night. Got sent home as I was still only 1cm dilated even though I did say that this had all happened before and I was supposed to be monitored. I contracted on and off until Friday from Tuesday and went in for my pre-booking appointment for my section on the Friday afternoon.
I broke down in my appointment cos I was still contracting every 5 mins at this point and exhausted so they examined me. I was still only 1cm dilated. We decided at this point that a c-section was appropriate now rather than waiting until Tuesday. I had about 3 hours to wait until a theatre was free and an hour before I was due to go in my waters broke and had meconium in them (really getting a sense of déjà vu by this point)!
C-section was done and Elliot arrived safely at 7:43pm and it was lovely – they dropped the screen as he was delivered so we could see that we had a new little boy and I was so relieved to see him here and crying that I burst into tears. I had honestly never felt as blessed as I did when I realized I now had 2 beautiful children.
In recovery my temp went up and I was sick which was a shame as it was pretty uncomfortable throwing up after a section. Unfortunately it got worse when at 1am I had a significant vaginal bleed resulting in my blood pressure needing to be monitored for the rest of the night. Then at 5am my scar started spurting blood. I have honestly never been so scared and won’t go into detail as it was pretty unpleasant stuff. I got taken back to theatre but the bleeding stopped with pressure being applied so no operation needed. I stayed in hospital for 3 nights after the bleed and was allowed to go home as bleeding was still stopped and because I hadn’t passed any clots.
20 mins after getting home I passed a golf ball sized clot and after some debate it was decided that as long as I didn’t pass anymore that I’d be ok to stay at home and thankfully I didn’t so stayed put.
A few days later my stitches needed to come out but as I was so swollen and bruised from the pressure being applied to stop my bleeding the stitches were really difficult and very painful to be taken out so had to be done over 2 days with gas and air to help with the pain. I really thought at that point that it was all over and done and that I could finally relax but then on Sunday the left side of my scar swole up with a lump the size of a tennis ball. After examination it turns out that I have a hematoma – build up of blood in a pool under my scar. I am on antibiotics now to stop me getting and infection and am being monitored to see whether I need it drained in hospital.
So in short, I am a very happy mummy with a beautiful new baby boy but am having a tough recovery hence me not being on here very much at the moment. Hope ur all ok x x x

oh gosh hun, youve really been thru it havent you! congrats on your new little man xx

Congratulations on ur baby boy. take it as easy as u can do and i hope you recover quickly x

what a story!! take it easy and big congrats hun :love:

Congrats on little Elliot! Hope you start to feel better soon x x

Huge congratulations hun! Wow, youve certainly had a time of it! Fingers crossed it wont have to be drained and goes down on its own soon! xx

sorry to hear youve had a tough time congrats hun x

Well done on getting through all of that! Congrats on your little boy, hope you make a full recovery soon! Xxx

Congratulations Karen! You really are living proof that a baby makes you forget all the pain of labour / recovery as you seem to be coping with it all amazingly well. Hope you have a very quick recovery hun so you can enjoy being a mum! x

Oh my god Karen what an ordeal! But do you know what I love about you? You're always so upbeat and positive. Take it easy hun and enjoy that little boy. Hoping you feel much better soon. Lots love xxx

Oh dear what a horrible thing to happen to you when you should be enjoying your gorgeous new man! Really hope you're on the mend soon and huge congrats xx

Wow well done you for coping so well! Congrats on your little boy :)

Karen!
Was just thinking I hadn't heard from you for a while.
Sorry you had such a hard time but congratulations on the birth of your boy :)

xxx

congratulations hun, sorry you didn't get your vbac but at least he's here and safe now xx

congratulations hun, sorry you didnt get the VBAC you wanted.hope you feel better soon xx

Congratulations. Hope your recovery gets better

Sorry to hear that you had to go through all of that! But massive congratulations on your little boy!!

Wow, well done you. Shame you've had to go through so much but congratulations on your LO :)

congrats again lovely 2 gorgeous little boys xxx hope the tablets work for you lovely and your all healed soon. xx

huge congratulations Karen - sorry you didn't get your Vbac after all, it did seem to follow the pattern of last Harrisons labour didn't it! sounds like you had a nightmare with the section, and as i was reading down I was suprised they didn't put a drain in after the near return to theatre for second op on scar to catch/drain the bleed (I had one after my second). And then read down more to find you had a hematoma after all! Perhaps they should have put one in in hindsight! Hope it sorts itself out for you now and you get no further setbacks hun - enjoy you little man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back