Elliot Xander Duke!..birth story and pics

Alisondue21stOct

Reaction score
hello ladies!

Finally found a few minutes to come and type up an announcement and birth story!

On Monday 9th October we arrived on the maternity ward to be induced. I was really nervous but excited and was really keen to get things goin. Our last baby died at 37 weeks due to severe placental infarction(clots) so to avoid extra pressure on the placenta (and to save my sanity) my cons wanted me starting early.

I was given my first prostin pessary at about 10am. It didnt hurt being examined or having the prostin and the good news was the pains id been having over the previous week had softened my cervix and got me 1cm dialated! It was the 3rd labour id had induced and im allways slow to dialate so i didnt expect much to happen quickly.

I went for a walk around the hospital and tried to stay active. By about 3pm i was being monitored and was having quite strong contractions every 4 to 5 minutes. They decided to not bother giving me another prostin that night and see how things progressed. I had a couple of paracetamol for the pain and went to sleep. Things had stopped by morning! :roll:

On Tuesday they gave me another prostin at 7.30am, this didnt do a thing! Not a bleeding sausage! Then they gave me another prostin later in the afternoon along with a bit of a sweep, this hurt like a biatch! the thing with prostin is it irritates the vaginal wall and the opening of the cervix so after a couple of them you are quite tender. I recomend a hot bath at this stage it helps a lot! By Tuesday evening i was bouncing like billy-oh on the birthing ball and having good strong contractions. They were even putting me off my bag of pick'n'mix so they must have been major :lol: By 10pm one of the midwives asked me to come into a private room to be examined and once in there she gave me some entinox as she thought it would be a painfull examination. It was, but oh my god do i LOVE gas n air! After a few puffs, giggles and a painfull exam she revealed that i was still at 2cm and the contractions were just prostin pains :wall:

I had a real hard night that night and didnt get much sleep. I didnt agree that it was only the prostin, with it being my third delivery i could tell the difference. In the morning my cons came to see me and told me he wanted to take me to labour ward to get things going, he said he didnt want to wait much longer as i was 'high' risk. ( i have lupus and APS)

Walking onto labour ward was very emotional for me. I couldnt stop thinking about the stillbirth and the memories i have from back then. I was scared. My cons was really lovely and gave me a cuddle, he said he wanted to break my waters and put me on the cyntocin drip. I begged him to not put me on the drip and he said he would break my waters and give me 2 hours to start contracting myself. Having my waters broken was painless, it was quite nice actually, really warm lol. The good news was i had been right about it not being the prostin pains as i had made it to 4cm in the night :cheer: I set about marching the corridors to get things going. I was contracting but only every 7 minutes so after 2 hrs admitted defeat and went on the drip. The drip was really feirce. didnt enjoy it atal and it meant i couldnt really have an active labour. I had to be constantly monitored anyway. Elliot had hiccups all the way through labour and showed no signs of distress thankfully.

The first stage of labour lasted for 8hrs 45 minutes. In this time i mostly laughed my head off at nothing imparticular on the gas'n'air, occasionally growled at my husband for breathing, sniffed my jasmin oil, attempted to eat a chicken supreme which was well...what can we say about hospital chicken supreme that hasnt allready been said? :rotfl:

I soon came to the point where i needed to push, the usual whimpers and puffing and blowing from the contractions turned to growling and swearing. i announced several times that i was gonna poo myself. I had been refusing any pain releif other than gas'n'air as i wanted to remember everything clearly and by this point i was starting to feel like i couldnt cope anymore. I realised i just had to do it and focused. I pushed for 16 minutes, tried not to push whilst he crowned and then woosh, out he came, all warm and lovely and screaming like a gooden! it was amazing. Im in tears now as i type. The feeling to hear those screams. All i could think was "hes alive! my baby is alive! We have made it, thankyou god thankyou thankyou" I later found out that i was actually shouting this at jamie not just thinking it lol. they cut his cord and i delivered the placenta.

I had made 4 cd's for the duration of my labour and Elliot arrived to the sound of "people in love" by the feeling. It was absolutely perfect and fitting in everyway.

I feel like something came alive in me when Elliot was born, something that i thought was gone forever and i am so happy and fulliflled i just cant beleive how lucky i am! i treasure every minute with my baby. Elliot had a little feed for about 30 minutes on the breast and went to sleep.I had a shower and I was taken back to maternity ward and was told to try and sleep. Pah! yeh right!!!! I think i lost about 4 or 5 hours by just sitting and staring at Elliot, then he roused and started choking on mucus it was really scary, so there was no way i could sleep after that.

The rest of the days all merge into one big fuzzy ball of complete love and sleep deprivation. Elliot has tongue tie and really struggled to get latched onto the breast. On his 2nd night he screamed from 10pm till 6.30am. he just couldnt latch on bless him, he got full of wind, he had to work hard at it as it was only colostrum then and my nipples cracked and bled :( i think the staff were wanting me to put him on formula but i just knew i had to keep trying. I expressed a little for him. My milk is coming in now and allthough he still struggles to latch, once he is on he feeds really well. it is the most rewarding feeling ever seeing his little contented face when he has a tummy full of breast milk :D i am so glad i persevered

Well done for reaching the end of this post! here are some pictures of our little man. Thankyou for the recent support through my pregnancy and to any pregnant first time mums reading this...it is painfull, but try and stay focused, dont give into the fear and i promise it is all absolutely more than worth it!!!!

oh allmost forgot Elliot was 8lb 5oz :D

Love ali xxx
270245735_c95e4743b7_m.jpg

270245771_8a991e9fa6_m.jpg

270246146_ccacdb8e35_m.jpg

270246345_87c5d5094f_m.jpg

270245877_b1d358a2fc_m.jpg

270245983_86059c2d39_m.jpg

Proud daddy!
270246092_e5556eb185_m.jpg

big sister Summer!
267630400_ba23ab467d_m.jpg

Phew! Its all over!

congratulations allison, you did a brilliant job!!
well done, elliot is beautiful & weighed the same as Louie!!!

enjoy him :hug: :hug: :hug:
xx

Oh, he is GORGEOUS!! He's got your mouth, hasn't he?

Well done on persevering through your induction. I had three postins and ended up on the drip too. :)

Congratulations to all the family xxx

Awww what a beauty! You must be on top of the world, he's gorgeous! Congrats hun, really pleased for you xxx :cheer:

What an incredible birth story you made me laugh at going off your pick and mix but boy I cried when you described him being born. I am so very very happy for you sweetheart.
He's beautiful, such shiny gorgeous eyes :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

well done Alison!
Hes absolutely gorgeous! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well Done Alison!!!! Congratulation on your new addition :cheer:

You've made me cry reading that! Congratulations to you all Ali, and welcome into the world Elliot. :hug: What a fantastic weight for an early bird!

And he is absolutely gorgeous! :hug: And so is Summer. :hug:

Congratulations Alison. I am so happy for you.

He is absolutely beautiful.

Take care :hug:

Congratulations hun im so happy for you! He is gorgeous!!!
Im tongue tied too and so was my sister. U may want to think about getting it cut while he's a baby. my sister had to have hers cut last year at 23yrs of age! She was havving terrible gum problems and bad teeth due to it. mine isnt as bad as hers so im not having mine cut. (yet)
She had to learn to talk properly again and eat etc. jus makes it easier when theyre babies! She couldnt stick her tounge out past her lip, but i can just reach that dip below ur bottom lip if i try hard enough! But not outwards, just down. sticking out, maybe 1cm past my lips.
Just thought id share my experience on it!
He really is beautiful hun and im glad everything went well!

hun i just broke my heart reading your post im so happy for you :hug: hes absolutely gourgeous :D xxxxxxxxxxx

Aww thankyou for all the kind comments.

Jayceesmumma, thankyou for sharing your experience on the togue tie thing. Summer my first baby is also tongue tied. I wasnt given the support to breast feed back then and ended up giving in which im so so pleased i didnt this time. She hasnt had hers cut and my doctor has said it isnt bad enough to be done. We have a referal for Elliot and hope to see someone about it really soon. He is managing to feed ok now my milk has come in but latching on is difficult and hes giving himself wind as it makes him gulp a lot of air. Bless him! Hope your s get sorted soo!

Love ali xxx

big hugs rach :hug:

Cant beleive you are at 14 weeks already! Hope things have picked up a little for you!

Love ali xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back