Earliest to see something?

PeanutButter

Reaction score
What's the earliest I would be able to see heartbeat through abdominal scan? I don't want internal one because last time I had a bleed after. Plus they are so uncomfortable.
I don't know if weight is an issue? I just wanted to get reassurance, the midwife won't see me until I'm 8 weeks and won't get a scan untill 14 weeks..

Thanks xx

Have you tried the epu? Tell them you've had previous loses and they should offer you an early scan. I think the earliest you can see a heartbeat with an abdominal is 6-7 weeks. The more padding you have in your tummy area will hinder the scan so it could be later. But as long as you drink lots of water you should be fine. Lots of women with a bit more padding are able to see something. I saw a heartbeat with an abdominal at 6+3. I weigh about 12 stone so I'm not little but I don't have much of a stomach. I hope that helps x

Oh, i have quite alot of belly fat aha! Atm with the bloating I look like i should be in tri 3 xD Properly stciks out, embarrassing xD.

I saw the HB with my first at 7 weeks but was internal (bleeding after this one aswell). I didnt wanna say 'cause people will think im being silly, but i feel like they brought on the miscarriages...Thats why im trying to do something completely different. Im not having sex until were in the second tri (even then i dont know how ill feel!) xx

Your not alone Hun! We're not DTD either! I've been spotting since 4 weeks and it's put me off lol

Don't worry about it. I don't think it affects the scan too much! Here's what I found online
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/x1015511/could-being-overweight-affect-my-ultrasound-scans
They say it doesn't cause MC but I've heard quite a few women on here saying they have bled or MC after an internal. Do what's best for you! I've had one this time and been fine. Xx

Oh and the bloat is awful! Lol I look like I'm 6 months gone haha xx

The first time I seen HB with Jackson he was 7w and it was abdominal but we did an internal too to get a better view but she seen it first doing the abdominal.

With this one I had my reassurance scan at 8w abdominally and seen HB.

Good luck lovely.

xxxxx

Our EPU won't scan you unless you're at least 6 weeks. I had a scan at 7 weeks and saw the flickering HB - With my LB i saw it at 6 weeks x

Last edited:
I am very wary of super early internal scans for the same reason peanut! I don't think you're crazy. I've never had a scan before 10 weeks but I have had friends who had external scans around the 8/9-week mark and saw baby.

Congratulations!

I am due to be seeing the gynae consultant next month, if by a miracle I am pregnant by then is it not advisable for them to do a TV scan on me in case it causes mc? Haha I have more padding on my tummy than all you ladies put together so I wont hold out much hope of getting a good HB!I have been asked twice now when its due so sadly its not all in my head, I wouldnt mind looking late T3 if I actually was :/

sparkle, both previous pregnancies ive had one and bleed the day after followed by a MC a few days after that. Most women are fine with it, but obviously some women are very suspicious of it causing their MC's :/ xx

I had sa private at 7+2. It was transvaginal I personally didn't mind but was surprised. They said its standard procedure in early pregnancy X

I had a abdominal scan today, 7 weeks 1 day. I'm a size 16 and hold most my weight on my stomach but she found the heart beat no problem and no need for an internal...

Had a private abdominal at 9 weeks and was clear as day I had internal at 7 weeks with my son so not sure when they would have picked it up

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back