Dysco and her chick

Glad to hear you've got things under control hun!

It took me a good month to have any semblance of calm or normality.

I've found that since James is sleeping better at night (he now does 7 hours some nights has gone up to 9 hours without a feed) he has gone back to feeding every 2.5 - 3 hours in the daytime just to make up his calories.

So it does all change again LOL!

xxxxxxxxx

how did it go with the weigh in lovely? i hope ollie has a good night. i fixed the camera (i think)...

He gained 4oz in 4 days so weight gain is back on track. He's 8lb2oz now which is fab, nearly a whole lb on his birth weight at 3 weeks old is good going i think :)

Oh well done Ollie and mummy!!!! I can see him topping the scales one day like Amelie lol!

argh we are having the dummy debate. i wish i knew what was for the best! he just sucks and sucks.

I think I would have PND by how without the pacifiers lol!
I am sure you will know what's best for your baby. There is no wrong or correct with dummies really. Both not giving one and having one have pros and contras. You just have to do what you think is best for your baby and you :love:

It was easy for us as we've been using bottles since day 3. So I never had any worry about nipple confusion (which is thought to be a myth depending on what you read)

James is a sucky baby. He sucks his hands, our necks, our clothes - anything he can get his gob on will be given a good suck! So giving him a dummy was for the best.

xxxxxxx

Harry had a dummy from the start as a nurse gave him one in hospital. I always thought I wouldn't use one, but it really is a life saver. You can always wean them off when they're a little older but sometimes when Harry gets himself worked up it helps calm him down where nothing else will... Well done too on Ollie's weight gain honey :) You're doing such a good job xxx

i think we def need a dummy for night times, i can settle him in the say but it has to be worth a try if he will settle better in the evenings. He's so unsettled then and frantically sucks on anything and I know he's not hungry. I think for our sanity (and to get an evening meal together at some point!) we have to try it.

So last nit we gave in and he now has a pacifier, it's like magic! Normally evenings are fractious and difficult and all he wants to do is suck, he now has a dummy and he is a dream baby. Awake and asleep in turn but calm throughout, so different to us having to rock and bounce him for hours on end having dinner in shifts. I never wanted to use one, eventually he'd have found his hand or thumb, but his distress was hard in all of us. I know i'ma trying to justify my choice, I just dint think I'd resort to one, it feels like the easy way out. But we have excluded everything that could be upsetting him, he's clean, fed and a dummy settles him right down. I hope I've done the right thing!

Don't be so hard on you. You don't have to justify yourself and its not the easy way out. On long term you can give a pacifier to Santa but you can't do much with a thumb habit.
I am sure Ollie will do perfect and you did nth more than offer comfort to your baby.

Am I completely wrong here that I see nth wrong with a pacifier? Amelie got one at let's see 3 h of her life as she cried 3 h solid and my eardrums where about to explode lol.

Hi dysco,

Only just found this section, glad to hear all is well & ure finding what works best for u both.

Xx

You shouldn't feel bad hon. I always thought I wouldn't use a dummy, but maybe it's kinder to them too as they're happier. Maybe it is the easier option for us, but there's not many shortcuts in parenthood, so we might as well make the most of it! I think it's just about using them at the right times and not overusing them... Enjoy the peace a dummy brings :) xx

He is so much happier and calmer with one, we didn't use it it automatically but like James and Amelie he ended the comfort. ATM I'm only giving to him at nap and night times and hope I can keep it that way. Hope the use of pacifiers here really divides people, some think you should use them no question, others that you should never use them. I have to say I never wanted to use one but was open to the possibility cos I didn't know what Ollie would be like. He is now a much more contented baby when he's tired and much more ready to self settle to sleep. He actually doesn't want it at night and refuses it to be replaced if it falls out in his sleep. We are also much happier and calmer. Of course it doesn't solve every problem or crying time, but it helps when he just wants to suck on something! Amnd it means we are far better at deaking with him when he really is distressed. I realised that some of his long sleeps were out of sheer exhaustion at being upset for 3 h without the dummy so it wasn't good for him. S last night was a good night. Breast feeding is excruciatingly painful at the moment, I'm hoping its just a stage and then it gets easier again. His latch is fine I think it's just the toll on my nipples of 8 feeds a day for 3-4 weeks!!

I have bought some dummies, I'm not for or against them tbh. I wud probably prefer not to use them but I'm not bothered if I have to.

I hope the pain of bf eases it can't be nice if its painful.

Xx

Elexis is 6 1/2 month old and we have just started with the dummy as she was waking often through the night just for the comfort of the bottle and not actually taking any feed, its taken us a while to get her to have a dummy as shes not been keen on any that we have given her and just spat them straight out but we have finally found one she likes and its heaven. Theres no shame in giving a dummy :) if it comforts them then that can only be a good thing! I'm not gonna lie it can be hard to get them to give it up in later life, we tried for 2 years with my eldest, finally at 4 year old the "ninny fairy" came and took it and left her a present, she was more than happy with that lol!

xx

How's the bf-ing going hon? Not sure it should be painful though, as mine wasn't (until now, but I've got Thrush now! Booo). Perhaps you did a bit of damage to your nipples when bf-ing wasn't going so well and it might take a chance to heal I guess? If you're still having lots of pain in a week, i would definitely try and get some advice. Have you been in touch with the nct at all? They're so good with helping bf-ing... xxx

Hi Hun, hv has just been, Ollie has gained 9oz this week and is now 8lb11. Hes on the 25th centile so clearly naking up for his little feeding blips. What a chunk! Talked to her about the breast feeding and we've adjusted my technique a bit so hopefully that will help! I'll go back to the bf clinic Friday too I think if it's still painful. Sorry to hear you've got thrush ceebee, of its not one thing it's another for you, hope it clears up soon xx

I tried to post here the other day but lost it. I wanted to put a really positive post cos I felt all I had done was post problems. I'm loving looking after my little man and surprised at how natural I find it. Yes I'm worried about every little thing we do or try but despite the problems I know we have been blessed with a good baby. He sleeps, eats well and thankfully my body is letting me breast feed and he is responding well. Added to which he's gorgeous, starting to give us real smiles and seems to adore his daddy! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358253712.112543.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358253738.521614.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1358253763.372086.jpg

i dont get a look in if daddy is there! If nothing else I am proud of our first month as a family. Me and DH have had our moments but in reality he's been amazing, and he's more passionate than he's been in a long time. We still haven't DTD yet, am terrified but will take it slow and have stocked on ky, he told me he'd wait til I was ready so no pressure which is lovely. We are both shattered anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back