Colby's Journey

Sassysugar

Reaction score
Born Thursday 15th September 2011 @ 16:08hrs weighing 9lbs 4ozs

Thought I would start a journal for Colby, as I want to remember everything :)

Update from when he was born..... I had to stay in hospital for a couple of days after giving birth as I was very poorly and had gone anaemic, when they did a blood test it was down at 7.2, which mw said was quite low. I lost quite a bit of blood and needed a couple of blood transfusions, which I was really nervous about but actually wasn't as bad as I thought!

I had been able to breastfeed him after he was born with help from the mw as I wasn't able to sit up. When I finally got moved from the labour ward, I keep giving him feeds throughout the night and the rest of the time he would sleep which was great.

I needed help throughout the Friday with breastfeeding as I was finding it hard for him to latch on, but we persevered. On the friday night he slept through for 6 hours between feeds, which gave me a chance to sleep as I was so exhausted.

They had taken a swab from Colby's nose just after he was born as my waters had been broken quite a while before he was born and it wasn't until the Saturday morning that they came back and said he had tested positive for strep b (they had tested me when I came into hospital but don't think it had shown up at that point). So we had to go up to the nicu ward for Colby to have an antibiotic injection as a precaution (they did say that as he was a good weight and also really healthy that he would be fine)

He was so good while getting the injection done, think it was worse for me.

So I was finally allowed to go home on the saturday evening. I was really quite anxious having him home and kept the light on so I could keep looking into his moses basket to make sure he was ok. We kept feeding through the night although my milk still hadn't come through properly which I was told it can be delayed due to me being anaemic but that it would come through soon, but at least there was still colostrum coming through.

I had a mw app at the house on the Sunday and when she weighed him, he had dropped down to 8lb 5oz which was 10.8% difference and normally they don't mind up to 10%. Mw said it was due to the fact I was so poorly after the birth and with the fact my milk was being slow. She rang the pediatric ward to ask if they wanted him in to check he wasn't dehydrated and they said yes. So it was another trip back to the hospital. They checked his weigh again and decided that due to the strep b they wanted to do a blood test on him to check his infection markers and to see if he was dehydrated. While we were waiting for the doctor, I gave him a feed and realised that my milk was coming through, was so relieved about that and he managed a really great feed :)

Will update more later off to feed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back