Baby won't sleep on his own - HELP PLEASE!!!!

CH0C0H0LIC

Reaction score
It started at almost 2wks old with James being unsettled in the crib at night but ok during the day in the moses basket. We thought it may have been the crib so put crib downstairs and moses basket upstairs but problem stayed the same. (so bang went my theory lol)

He is just turned 3 wks now and is now a lil bugger for sleeping in either! He will happily go to sleep in someones arms (though usually mine) but when you put him in the crib/basket he will wake almost immediately or within 15/20mins tops and cry til he's almost blue unless he's taken out and cuddled. I've tried ignoring his cries for a short while but he just gets too distressed too quickly. He's started waking up regularly now even when he's asleep on my chest, opens one eye squints at me as if to say "Yep, soft touch Mum is still holding me" and goes back off to sleep :wall:

I absolutely hated the idea of co-sleeping and vowed I would never do it as it just wasn't for me.... yep soft touch Mum now co-sleeps, otherwise no-one in the house gets any sleep. We are now talking about working it in shifts (OH sleeps at night and looks after James in Day and I sleep all day and do the night shift!). Obviously don't want to resort to it but I'm beginning to feel ill because I'm so flippin tired!

Looking for any advice as running out of ideas!!! Do you think it would work putting a t shirt of mine over the crib/basket mattress as a sheet would fool him into drifting back off to sleep???

Help!!!!!!!!!

Sarah xxx

I think firstly you need to make the decision of where he is going to sleep and stick with it. If it is two places then stick with that no matter what...

Id say during the day don't worry too much about putting him down in his crib etc if you're holding him fine, but if you are putting him down and he begins to cry, ok thats fine too what im trying to say is don't worry too much about him sleeping during the day but during the night is a different matter because this IS the thing he needs to get used to...

Don't know if this helps but when Hayden was tinee he would "sleep" in is basket downstairs and then at night we would bring same moses basket upstairs however it took him a little while to work out what the night was and he would sleep alot during the day and then at night would take a little while to settle, get him into anything similar to a routine...

When he is is settling during the night try putting him down and shooshing/settling while he is still in his crib don't take him out straight away, obviously if he is screaming the place down then take out and pat him/shoosh him... and when he is calmer pop him down...

I would say though that he is still quite young, so would be prone to being more restless, after all he has just come out fo your lovely cosy womb so they need to get used to finding comfort not only in the outside world but on their own when you walk away from the crib...

Have you also tried swaddling?

If you don;t want to co sleep then don't but like I said to start with you need to make the decision sooner rather then later :).

P.s I don't know but do you use a dummy?

:hug:

Sometimes it isn't that easy though. We didn't want to co-sleep when Luke was tiny but ended up more or less ebing forced into it by him in order to get some sleep. He wouldn't settle anywhere than on one of us and in the end we resorted to buying a SnuggleNest (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Summer-Infant-5 ... 431&sr=8-1) and allowing him to sleep between us in that so he was close, could hear us and still smell me.

You have to do what you feel is right for you hun. For us it was using the nest and then eventually we put him into a cot that we had to buy for our room as he wouldn't settle in his crib or moses basket at all!

Good luck xx

have you tried putting him down BEFORE he goes to sleep when hes just getting dozey put him down to sleep if he kicks off try to soothe him without being picked up.
its a big difference going from some1s arms into a crib ect
maybe give that a try?
:hug: :hug:
xx

I used loads of methods, swaddling, shushing whilst putting down, t-shirt, and sometimes one would work and sometimes it didn't. Just trial and error I suppose.

Hope you find something that works :hug:

DebbieM said:
Sometimes it isn't that easy though.

Sorry was that in reply to my comments????

:think:

Obviously I relise how hard it can be I only made some suggestions??

I would like to think that no one takes mine or anyone elses word as gospel, I mean we all have different babies and have to try many things but I think its worth trying everything before giving in :hug:

I normally end up giving in when im tired or see hays cute face...

Also choco how rude of me!!

CONGRATULATIONS on your new addition, I agree to anjoy him while he's tinee as it doesnt last :( :hug:

Steelgoddess said:
DebbieM said:

Yes hun, but don't always take things so personally.. please?!

I was just pointing out that making a decision and sticking with it isn't always that easy.. things aren't always so black and white (unfortunately lol). We tried to make a decision to put Luke into his crib at night and it turned into hell.

It's not a dig or anything at you. I was just replying in general :)

DebbieM said:
Steelgoddess said:
DebbieM said:

Yes hun, but don't always take things so personally.. please?!

I was just pointing out that making a decision and sticking with it isn't always that easy.. things aren't always so black and white (unfortunately lol). We tried to make a decision to put Luke into his crib at night and it turned into hell.

It's not a dig or anything at you. I was just replying in general :)

I was only offering my advice from my POV. You called out my post so I replied? I guess in my eyes it was like you know that didn;t work for you so you disagreed with my post and thats fine... thats all im saying.

Steelgoddess said:
I think firstly you need to make the decision of where he is going to sleep and stick with it. If it is two places then stick with that no matter what...
That's the problem I SO agree with that.. I know he can sleep in both the crib and moses basket because he has done but when he's screaming til he turns a funny colour I panic and whip him out and hold him til he calms down.
Today it's not even been a case of crib or moses basket it's putting him down full stop, on his playmat, in his chair, on his changing mat... omg I'm very flattered that my baby loves me but surely this is harrassment :rotfl:

He was ok being swaddled at first but that doesn't make a difference now and a dummy won't stay in, it's a case of "wtf? why the hell ain't there milk coming out?"

The t shirt didn't work last night and we spent the near on 2hrs shussing him, dancing gently round the bedroom with him and playing quiet music to him and then when that failed he came into bed with OH. And hey presto in 3 mins he was fast asleep! :wall:

Gonna take a look at the baby nest link, thank you Debbie, will try anything at the mo.

I hate being so tired, makes me quite short tempered and my "diplomacy gland" ceases to work so people tend to get a few home truths (that I would normally keep to myself).

I didn't have sleeping problems with my older son til he hit about 2yrs old (then he was a flamin nightmare lol)

Thanks for everyone's advice I'm looking at trying everything suggested and I do appreciate everyones help.

Sarah xxx

Right, Sharne... I wasn't 'calling out' you post at all. You made a comment and I merely pointed out that its not always that easy. You said;

Which, if you think about it, when it comes to babies, is near on impossible. I wasn't saying that from my own POV, I was saying it in general. Babies are completely tempermental and un-programmable and you often make decisions and then revert again.

I always said I would never do hundreds of things I'm doing with Luke. I'd made these decisions and then couldn't stick with them, as many others I know have too.

Look at you and your breastfeeding decisions. It was harsd for you to make a decision and stick with it for a long time. Its the same with anything baby related and that's what I was pointing out. There was no need for all of this. You take everything way too personally and I have no idea why so I will just refrain from responding to anything you write as I think it will make you happier and less paranoid. :)

we spent the near on 2hrs shussing him, dancing gently round the bedroom with him and playing quiet music to him and then when that failed he came into bed with OH. And hey presto in 3 mins he was fast asleep!

this is what we are like too. i give in and bring her into bed too. then if i wake dring the night i move her into her crib :)

CH0C0H0LIC said:
Steelgoddess said:
That's the problem I SO agree with that.. I know he can sleep in both the crib and moses basket because he has done but when he's screaming til he turns a funny colour I panic and whip him out and hold him til he calms down.
Today it's not even been a case of crib or moses basket it's putting him down full stop, on his playmat, in his chair, on his changing mat... omg I'm very flattered that my baby loves me but surely this is harrassment :rotfl:

He was ok being swaddled at first but that doesn't make a difference now and a dummy won't stay in, it's a case of "wtf? why the hell ain't there milk coming out?"

The t shirt didn't work last night and we spent the near on 2hrs shussing him, dancing gently round the bedroom with him and playing quiet music to him and then when that failed he came into bed with OH. And hey presto in 3 mins he was fast asleep! :wall:

Gonna take a look at the baby nest link, thank you Debbie, will try anything at the mo.

I hate being so tired, makes me quite short tempered and my "diplomacy gland" ceases to work so people tend to get a few home truths (that I would normally keep to myself).

I didn't have sleeping problems with my older son til he hit about 2yrs old (then he was a flamin nightmare lol)

Thanks for everyone's advice I'm looking at trying everything suggested and I do appreciate everyones help.

Sarah xxx

Well maybe you're just comfy :D , tbh Hayden is similar at times, he will sleep on me or others and fall asleep and then we think ok he wants a little nap and attempt to pop him down but he won't have a bar of it, I agree he is still really young I think its all trial and error aswell. I say enjoy it now because they grow quick :)

Does your moses basket stand/crib rock? I had a rocking Moses basket and found that when Ella fussed in the night I would rock her for a bit and it settled her.

Until Ella was about 12 weeks old I would put her to bed in the cot and then when she fussed or needed a feed in the night I would put her in with me until the morning. At about 12 weeks I stopped this and she has slept on her own ever since, so don't worry about making a rod for your back, as long as you stop co-sleeping early enough. My DH slept in the nursery for this period, as I worried about her being in with both of us, but if this wasn't possible I would have got one of those things that Debbie suggested.

The snuggle nest is brilliant for peace of mind when they are still tiny. I was so scared of having Luke in bed incase I rolled on him or anything. I felt he was safe in there with a little blanket tucked round him. Now, he sleeps between us on the mattress and it's us who are likely to get hurt LMAO!!!

DebbieM said:
The snuggle nest is brilliant for peace of mind when they are still tiny.
I've bid for a snuggle nest on Ebay :rotfl:

Last couple of nights he's had 2 or 3 hours in the moses basket at beginning of the night then in bed with me from then on til morning.. so bit better than before (touches wood).

Magic Monkey said:
Does your moses basket stand/crib rock? I had a rocking Moses basket and found that when Ella fussed in the night I would rock her for a bit and it settled her.
The crib has a gadget on it that makes it vibrate and can adapt base to make it rock but makes no difference, grumpyguts still prefers our bed!

I'll keep trying!!! :D

Sarah xxx

Well I had NO little man in my bed last night, he only woke once for his bottle at 3ish and went back to sleep like an angel afterwards.

The Reason?????

He's got a little bed-mate. It's one of those Prince Lionheart Slumber Bears. It has a little thingy in it's tummy that plays the sound of a womb and it worked like magic :cheer: It also has a cut out so that after a few minutes if baby has gone quiet it will stop the womb noise but baby crying will re-activate it again.

There was one downside though... OH has a bit of a cold and every time he coughed in the night he set it off.... and woke me up! :rotfl: (I've dosed him up with Lemsip big time today!!!)

I got it for a few quid on Ebay so a fab bargain, they are about 35 quid in the shops. I'm gonna get another one if it's really cheap so I have a spare in case of bear loses his "voice". Can't ya tell I love it lol.

Here's to a 2nd peaceful night :pray:

Sarah xxx

Wish i had one of them before! Only just seen it- guess if i bid on any on ebay i'll be fighting against you now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back