dummy rules for your 1 year old

Amy_J

Reaction score
what are they?

i only give lo his dummy when its nap time and bedtime. however theres about a million dummies lying around the house and he always manages to find one and pop it in. if i let him he would have one 24/7 but i refuse.

whens the best time to take it away completely? im thinking in another year or so tbh as i dont see any harm atm with him having it limited like i do....id like him to be dummy free by his 2nd birthday, is that relaistic?

what do you ladies do and when are you planning to stop the dummy totally?

xxx

Jack's only 4 months old but we do the same as you, he only has his dummy at nap/bedtime. He also has it if he's not feeling well. I'd say we'll probably start weaning it off of him between 18mth and 2 years. I don't see anything wrong with babies having them until they're 2 either. x

I've always said if a babys old enough to ask for a dummy then their too old for it, LO has got to the point now where he puts it in himself, cries for it and will take it out of his mouth to talk/baby babble and then put it back in when he's finished babbling in my opinion I think he's getting a bit old for it as he's very reliant on it now so Im gonna try and get him off it over the next month. This is just my opinion for my son by the way not slating anyone else's parental choices x x

I've just given my LO a dummy cause she's always looking for somthing to suck! But she only gets it at bedtime and only if she's restless.

I'm hoping to limit its use and will try where possible (when I have the energy) to get her to sleep without it x

I don't think there's anything wrong with a 2 yearold having one, but I probaby wouldn't give any older as they're really starting to talk loads by then x

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

LO can sleep without a dummy sometimes but when he wakes in the night screaming (usually teething) I do give it to him to help him (and me!) get back to sleep. Im fading them out to be honest. I hide them in the day so he cant get to them. He doesnt seem to miss them to be honest.

Noa never had a dummy but i think when u take it away, its not to come back iukwim?
Noa sucks his thumb n we always said when he turns one, we will keep taking it out and telling him not to suck his thumb cuz its a habbit more then anything.

Drake has a dummy and he flipping loves it! I tried the nap and bedtime rule (like I did with my middle boy who self weaned himself off his by 1yrs old) but he had colic and was a difficult baby back then so his dummy was used a lot. I'm not sure when I'm going to encourage to stop tbh, think I'll start weaning him off when his naps reduce and see how we go!

I've tried dummies with Poppy, to begin with she would keep it in for a little while then spit it out, now she doesn't seem to take one at all. She prefers to suck her fingers, but I'd rather her have a dummy! I'm a dental nurse and see all the problems with palate development/dental problems in children who suck their fingers or thumb, so I definitely don't think there's anything wrong with a dummy until they're about 2. It can then be taken away (fingers and thumbs can't!) or wait until christmas and tell them santa or the elves are taking it in place of presents.

I've tried dummies with Poppy, to begin with she would keep it in for a little while then spit it out, now she doesn't seem to take one at all. She prefers to suck her fingers, but I'd rather her have a dummy! I'm a dental nurse and see all the problems with palate development/dental problems in children who suck their fingers or thumb, so I definitely don't think there's anything wrong with a dummy until they're about 2. It can then be taken away (fingers and thumbs can't!) or wait until christmas and tell them santa or the elves are taking it in place of presents.

when theyre one you need to take a dummy away when theyre speaking as they build speech patterns around the dummy. Thumb suckers tend to take their thumb out to play as they use their hands so talk more without it in. Dummy suckers leave it in so that their hands are free to play.

depends if you speak to a dentist of a speech & langauge therapist!!

when theyre one you need to take a dummy away when theyre speaking as they build speech patterns around the dummy. Thumb suckers tend to take their thumb out to play as they use their hands so talk more without it in. Dummy suckers leave it in so that their hands are free to play.

depends if you speak to a dentist of a speech & langauge therapist!!

I see what you mean, but I mean giving them a dummy at night/nap times. I wouldn't give her a dummy unless she's sleepy or sleeping.

yeah I have the same rules, my LO has it for sleeping. He knows that he doesnt get out of his cot unless he puts it down. Unfortunately he has taken to throwing it accross the room when he wants to get up, even if its 3am!! :wall: its like hes saying "see? no dummy! Now i can get up!"

Herbie loves his dummy, and we have no rules with it, the other two where good talkers they took it out to speak then popped it back in lol, they both came off there's leading up to there 3rd birthday (I know late) but the really did understand and let is send it away and they got presents for it. Dollys at nursery now and you see loads getting there dummy's off there mams as soon as they come out, even I stopped before nursery lol

^^ its amazing isnt it. Some parents walking to speech therapy session with their 3 year old with a dummy in their mouth :doh:

Dollys speech has alway been fine, but she started dribbling her clothes where always wet as she alway had her mouth slightly open with her dummy in that's when I took it off her xxx

Reu has had one since having colic at about 3months old, he started with it now and then when grumpy and tired, now he tends only to have it in his cot / asleep in pushchair we only have 2 so no chance of him getting hold of one in the day unless i give him one (usually let him have one just before nap time if he is grumply)
I think next year on his 2nd birthday we will swap it for his birthday presents and go cold turkey! Full stop with it :) Unless of course he self weans off it over the next year :)

yeah if they dont talk with it in their mouth their fine. But you'd think if your child was in therapy you'd consider taking it off them a bit more. Even if its just in front of the speech therapist!!

we just give it when she is going to sleep or poorly she cannot sit and play with it in her mouth and she is very good at giving you it now when i aske her for it x

I want to wean lannas off her now. She only has it when shes in her cot for sleep. But i want to teach her to get herself to sleep a bit more, without me having to go and pop a dummy back in her mouth (Which is very frustrating now that she pulls it back out again!)

Paige has it in the car seat and for nap times and bed time but if she's not well or teething badly then she can have it a bit more. If I see her trying to talk with it in then I take it out, the lazy moo. She even tries to eat with it in sometimes! No idea when Ill take it off her but I think around next summer. I want her to know that she's giving them away otherwise I think it will really upset her if I just randomly take them away.

^^^ Lol my LO had it in his mouth a few months back and I put food in front of him he just picked it up and looked really confused so didnt do anything :rofl: daft child!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back