Sprog's going dummy free - advice/support?

badgergirl

Reaction score
I've had a ghastly few days and nights, and I've finally had to admit to myself that both Sprog and I are way to dependent upon his dummy. I use it for a bit of peace, and to get the housework done, or some extra sleep :oops:

Sprog now "needs" it, especially when it comes to sleep. He goes to sleep at bedtime without it and is fine, but if he wakes in the night he cries until he gets it. And during the day his dummy is the only thing that'll comfort him except for my boob. He's also started shoving his fingers in his mouth when he has the dummy, flicking it out, and then he'll SCREAM.

This morning has been hard. He wouldn't nap (no dummy to suck). I tried shushing, singing, talking patting, stroking him, to no avail. He cried for over 90 minutes, and got so overwrought that I think he couldn't sleep. It ended up being time for his next feed...and of course he fell asleep on my boob, where he's been for 2 hours. And when he stirs, he heads straight for my boob to comfort suck again.

I've no idea what to do to break the cycle I've got us into, and I could really do with some advice, or someone to make me smile! I have a headache already.

I'm afraid I have no advice, only sympathy. Phoebe is exactly the same.

To be honest, during the day she is such a terrible sleeper (trying to get her off as we speak, she's yelling and grizzling). Without a dummy I may totally lose my sanity whatsoever.

The way I see it is if it gives me that bit extra time to put washing on, have a bath then I will keep giving her the dummy, otherwise she'd be awake ALL day, and I mean all day too! She then gets over tired and screams the whole day and nothing will settle her.

I plan on getting rid of it by 1 year. Possibly sooner if she starts sleeping more. I think the dummy fairy is a good idea, but obviously she needs to have some kind of understanding for that to work.
:hug: :hug: :hug:

I agree with mids... totally up to you but Becky has ditched hers herself within the last month. When she started spitting it out I just didn't bother putting it back in and now she doesn't seem to need it to drift off. She has a sort of comfort blanket thing and now preoccupies herself with touching and chewing that until she passes out. There have been a couple of times I've used the dummy in the last couple of weeks to settle her in the daytime (much like you Lara, she'll get herself in a state with exhaustion and then not sleep) but it gets spat out in a matter of seconds anyway.

Every baby is different but then if you see the signs that he might not be needing it as much, just "forget" to give him it.

Ryan has given his up now, once he had teeth he just didnt want it anymore god knows why. I was also well dependant on it when he was that age but there's no harm if it helps you both out. Our aim was to have it off him by one, which worked fine as he gave it up himself about 10 1/2 months :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back