Dropping bedtime bottle and crying himself to sleep :(

Lacey's Mummy

Reaction score
For the last 2 weeks charley has cried himself to sleep at bedtime. I've done the same routine since birth and he used to be fine but suddenly hates going to sleep, it's heartbreaking hearing him cry and god knows what the neighbours think :/
Also last night and now tonight he has refused his bedtime bottle, it's the one bottle I don't want him to drop just incase he starts waking during the night. Last night he still slept 11 hours so that was fine, kinda hoping he still sleeps tonight without it.
Is there anyway I can get him taking it again? He's only had his morning bottle today so 6oz's in 24 hours, that's really bad :(

Poor charley :( no advice but hope he sleeps for you xx

---
-

Oh Nooo..... I don't know what to suggest, dreamfeed? Xx

He sleeps in a funny position so if I try to put him so I can give him a bottle he'll prob wake up. I feel so guilty letting himself cry himself to sleep :( I'm all for controlled crying but that's not working so I'm doing cry it out method instead!

Don't worry hon, Ella did that for about 2 weeks and then we put a book and a teddy and about 8 dummys in with her and she started playing for a while before bed on her own. As for the bottle- perhaps try to give him porridge before bed with his milk in it and then just a small bottle- that's what we did while she wouldn't take it. Now she has both! Xx

Thanks Annie. I'm racking my brains on how to give him extra milk through the day as he's not having alot at all!

not sure what to do about dropping the night bottle but ideas for increasing milk intake during the day, custard, rice pudding ,cheese and cheese sauce, yoghurts, milk puddings like semolina? sorry hun couldnt be any more help, oh and porridge-bfast cereal with milk xx

mash potato. one of the worst things he'd lose from milk decrease is calcium so make sure that he gets plenty of cheese/cream/white sauce/rice pudding/mashed etc but also tinned fish (excl tuna) and dried fruits are grea at increasing calcium, also butter.....trying get extra milk in with his cereal or porridge etc and take it slwoly.................? sorry hope that helps and he sleeps x

I'm not sure hun. Maybe try a cup? What happens when you put him in his cot? Drake won't take all his feed in one go. It takes about 30-45 mins for him to go to sleep (he keeps standing in his cot lol) and every time i lie him down i give him more bottle. He manages most of it by the time he goes to sleep.

He used to take about 5-10mins to drink his 8oz's then I'd kiss him goodnight, light show on leave room and I wouldn't hear a peak, then it changed to drink his bottle, give him kiss, light show on and as soon as I leave the room he'd start crying for about 2-5mins, now I try to give him bottle, he'll keep turning his head away then try to sit up so i lie him down again and try again then give up, light show on and he starts screaming until after 10mins he falls asleep! I'm really hoping it's a phase!
He also cried the whole time on a car journey today which was 45mins then cried all the way home. He normally falls asleep in the car or loves going in the car. Other than this he's still the same happy baby!

I'm not too sure about his feed then hun. Like others have said, try giving him bits throughout the day in his food or formula in a cup?

Sounds like he's going through a bit of seperation anxiety hun. Look it up and see if its that. It is a phase and i think the only thing you can do to help is give reassurance right now. Hopefully it won't last long!

Well he's just woken up after 12 hours so I'm guessing he doesn't need that bedtime bottle now, just nerd to get more milk in him during the day and hope he likes going to bed again soon x x

He sleeps in a funny position so if I try to put him so I can give him a bottle he'll prob wake up. I feel so guilty letting himself cry himself to sleep :( I'm all for controlled crying but that's not working so I'm doing cry it out method instead!

Feel so sorry for u with the crying! I don't know how u do it! I can't bare it! What is cry it out method?? Xx

Just let him cry himself to sleep so no checking on him to re settle. It's hard but if I do controlled crying he goes mad so it's easier just to let him cry himself to sleep :(

I've just done the same thing- don't worry hon - they won't be emotionally scarred by it - sometimes they just get overtired and need to be left to wear themselves out. xx

Did this phase last long Annie? He's currently crying in his cot and on the 3rd night of refusing his bedtime bottle. He started crying before I even left the room tonight!

Ewan has been doing this too at night is horrible as like u has never had a problem before. Hoping it is just a phase x

This might not be "the thing" to do but it works for us. Putting him in his cot then giving him his bottle in bed? Emily has her bottle and us usually good at going to sleep but for the past 2 nights she has cried loads. We put her to bed and if she isn't settled we give her her bottle again and leave her with it while her music is playing and it soothes her, plus she's drinking extra :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back