Drinking!

Blueflower

Reaction score
We've been TTC for nearly a year now and I've been so good only drinking 2-4 units of alcohol per week for half the month. It made me a bit fed up but I thought I was doing the right thing.
Several of my friends who have babies have said don't bother, if you drink normally you will be more relaxed and much more likely to conceive. (But don't binge of course!) Then stop drinking when I am actually pregnant.
What do people think? :roll:

have a glass of wine or two when you feel like it hun :hugs: it will be ok, obv dont get hammered in the last week of your cycle just in case! but a cheeky glass is ok, you cant stop living hun, enjoy yourself

I sometimes think the same thing hun... I am 4dpo today & I've got a night out tonight with the girls & havnt been out for ages and didnt know wether to drink and not drive or whether to treat myself to a glass of wine or two.. i'm not a big drinker anyway but if i knew i was pregnant I wouldnt drink at all & then I think am I bad for considering having a glass of wine or two now knowing i could potentially be pregnant!? I still havnt decided even now :s i dont think this month is my lucky month anyway (only BD'd once in my fertile window and just not feelign very hopeful) x

Hey just thought I'd let you know I'm 7dpo and going to a party, were a plan on having a good drink. I've been ttc for 2 and a half long years all the while behaving. Quit smoking, healthy eating, exercise, not drinking in 2ww and only a glass or 2 the rest of the cycle and still no bfp

Yet when I conceived with my son i was out every weekend binge drinking, eat what I want when I wanted and smoked more than I care to admit yet I fell pregnant!

What I'm getting at is your life can't be put on hold for what ifs or maybes. Enjoy yourself and like you say stop when you know for certain.

Have fun, and don't feel guilty x

They recently told me at the EPU that they don't think it makes much difference. I'm not sure where the advice on 5 units a week ttc has come from. The nurse said when she got pregs 20yrs ago, she was told to drink 2 units a day to "help the pregnancy".

I agree with the ladies above, if it helps relax you, have a glass or 2 of wine, but don't get hammered.

I would say relax too. I fell pregnant with Ella when I was on honeymoon and we drank every night which would include a few days after conception. This time I drank normally (not loads but a few glasses of wine here and rhere). Obviously stopped once I knew I was preggers each time xx

I'd say go for it in moderation, relax and let your hair down xx

I'd say have a few glasses, relax and have fun sweetie! As long as you don't get totally hammered it should be fine, I know girls who've not known they were pregnant and been partying and then found out they were pregnant and their baby's have come out happy and healthy, not that I condone drinking when pregnant lol but they didn't have a clue and the bambinos were fine xx

They recently told me at the EPU that they don't think it makes much difference. I'm not sure where the advice on 5 units a week ttc has come from. The nurse said when she got pregs 20yrs ago, she was told to drink 2 units a day to "help the pregnancy".

I agree with the ladies above, if it helps relax you, have a glass or 2 of wine, but don't get hammered.

'To help the pregnancy', that's funny! My friend was recommended to drink red wine and Guiness for the iron and her daughter is fine!
Thanks for the advice!

I would say relax too. I fell pregnant with Ella when I was on honeymoon and we drank every night which would include a few days after conception. This time I drank normally (not loads but a few glasses of wine here and rhere). Obviously stopped once I knew I was preggers each time xx

One of my friends said she got pregnant on honeymoon too and she was drinking wine every evening!
I heard that until the cells actually implant they can't be affected by alcohol, but too much alcohol can alter your hormones and prevent implantation, so moderation seems like the way to go!
Thanks very much!

Thanks everyone! I've decided to go back to enjoying myself and relax and hopefully it will work. If not then at least I won't have put my life on hold!

I sometimes think the same thing hun... I am 4dpo today & I've got a night out tonight with the girls & havnt been out for ages and didnt know wether to drink and not drive or whether to treat myself to a glass of wine or two.. i'm not a big drinker anyway but if i knew i was pregnant I wouldnt drink at all & then I think am I bad for considering having a glass of wine or two now knowing i could potentially be pregnant!? I still havnt decided even now :s i dont think this month is my lucky month anyway (only BD'd once in my fertile window and just not feelign very hopeful) x

What did you decide? Apparently you can't be pregnant 4 days after ovulation anyway because it won't have implanted yet, so you should be fine!

I never really thought anything of my drinking habits until I've started TTC.
It made me think, but then wondering am I thinking too much into it! Thinking too much makes me stressed and then denying myself a relaxing glass of wine makes me even more stressed.
In the end all answers finish with have a glass of wine!

i have tried the no drinking etc etc and it did both my pregs no gd they ended before 10 weeks and my other kids i didnt wat wat i drank or ate while ttc and they were fine so i am bk to the relaxed il do what i like when i like :) im on asprin daily and high doe folic acid so cant have a lot anyways but i will have a lgass with my tea if i please or have a few vodkas at weekend this weekend was a few more than a few ooppsss got carried away lol im i think 8 doo today xx

What did you decide? Apparently you can't be pregnant 4 days after ovulation anyway because it won't have implanted yet, so you should be fine!

Hiya love, that's good to hear! I had one small glass of wine & 2 cocktails :roll: but i know its early days (now 6dpo) but i dont feel any different at all to normal so very doubtful that this month is my lucky month! I just asked this question on a separate thresd but seen as you have raised it on here when you say your not officially pregnant 4dpo anyway, when is the egg actually fertilised how many dpo? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back