6 ways to get your body baby ready

Kezzamunster

Reaction score
Hey ladies :wave:

I picked up my free copy of the 'Health & Beauty' magazine from Boots & there's an article in there titled as above so I thought I'd write everything down in a thread

Step 1: SUPERCHARGE YOUR DIET - As well as a balanced, varied diet......

FOR HER: All women trying to conceive are advised to take a daily supplement of 400mcg of folic acid - until the 12th week of pregnancy - to help maintain normal neural tube development

FOR HIM: 'Selenium, zinc & vitamins C & E have each been implicated in supporting healthy sperm' says Dr Jonathan Lord, consultant in obstetrics & gynaecology at the Royal Cornwall Hospital & spokesman in the British Fertility Society. Rich sources include salmon, turkey & nuts as well as male fertility supplements

Step 2: STUB IT OUT - 'Smoking affects fertility, no matter which one of you smokes, so it's best to try & quit together' says Dr Jonathan Lord

FOR HER: Smoking doesn't just harm your unborn baby; nicotine interferes with the production of vital pregnancy hormones & has been found to impede the movement of the egg to the womb

FOR HIM: The sperm count of male smokers is up to 15% lower then those of non-smokers. Smoking also impairs semen production, sperm shape & motility

Step 3: DRINK LESS - Alcohol can have a huge effect on fertility in both men & women, so Vicky Pennington, Boots nutritionist says the best advice is simple 'Wean yourself off alcohol before trying to conceive'

FOR HER: The Chief Medical Officer advises that pregnant women or women trying to conceive should avoid drinking alcohol, while the National Institute for Health & Clinical Excellence (NICE) particularly advises avoidance during the first three months of pregnancy, as it's linked with a risk of miscarriage. Vicky Pennington adds 'If you do have a drink, keep it to 1-2 units* of alcohol once or twice a week

FOR HIM: Drinking too much alcohol can alter the quality of sperm. Vicky Pennington says 'Men should drink moderately - no more then 3-4 units* of alcohol a day'

*1 unit is equivalent to half a small glass of wine or half pint of average strength beer

Step 4: GET MOVING - Exercise helps normalise hormone levels. 'A study of 67 women who weren't ovulating found that, when they followed a healthy eating & fitness programme, 60 resumed ovulating' says Dr Jonathan Lord

FOR HER: Staying fit will also help you cope better with the demands of pregnancy & labour, so start something now that you can carry on. Swimming or Yoga can be great workouts without impacting on your joints as your pregnancy progresses

FOR HIM: While lack of exercise is bad for your health, over-exercising can lower his levels of testosterone - the key male fertility hormone. 'A 30-minute workout four or five times a week is ideal' advises Dr Jonathan Lord

Step 5: BE WEIGHT AWARE - A BMI outside the 18.5-24.9 range can affect fertility in both sexes

FOR HER: With a BMI of 25 or more, Dr Jonathan Lord advises losing weight before trying for a baby, swapping fad diets for smaller portions & taking more exercise

FOR HIM: Encourage him to monitor his waist measurement. 'This is far more motivating for losing weight then stepping on the scales' says Dr Jonathan Lord

Step 6: .......& RELAX :)
Studies show that stress can affect the hypothalamus - the gland that regulates our hormones, including those that release eggs in women & testosterone in men. So take time to chill out

FOR HER & HIM: The more stressed you are, the less sex your likely to have, which won't do anything to increase your chances of getting pregnant. Remember, 80% of couples who have regular sex (every 2-3 days) & don't use contraception will get pregnant within a year. As Dr Jonathan Lord says 'Relax & enjoy this time & don't get stressed about it - the majority of you will go on to conceive & have a healthy pregnancy'

EXTRA ADVICE FOR HIM - STAY COOL - Elevated testicular temperature is associated with poorer quality semen, so it may help to encourage your man to avoid:

*Tight fitting underwear
*Spending too much time wearing Lycra, cycling shorts or wet suits
*Prolonged hot baths
Sitting still for long periods, especially on a cycle saddle

This may help some ladies so thought I'd share

xxxxxxx

thanks kezza! i do most of those things but i do think my OH drinks too much on the weekends, its hard though isn't it because you dont' want ttc to take over your life, it tells you to relax but if i'm on at him about cutting out drink he won't be very relaxed lol!!

hope you are well? x

No probs at all hun, thought be quite good for newbies or anyone that needs to re-jig their action plan so to speak

Totally get what you mean though, conceiving is supposed to be the most natural thing in the world without having to do anything & everything to 'force' it if that makes sense

I'm really good thanks hun, kinda just lurking around the forum really just being a nosey moo bag :lol:

How's you hun?

xxx

im good thanks, suprisingly upbeat considering the witch is arriving!

u have to still lurk around - we would miss u too much if you went!! xx

Ooooo is it defo the witch hun? Keep an eye if it's different or it doesn't feel witchy if that makes sense

Awwwww thanks hun. You betcha though, I'll most defo keep popping up from time to time :)

Will be adding my recipes & cakes in a baking thread someone added so watch out

xxx

thanks kezza! i do most of those things but i do think my OH drinks too much on the weekends, its hard though isn't it because you dont' want ttc to take over your life, it tells you to relax but if i'm on at him about cutting out drink he won't be very relaxed lol!!

hope you are well? x

I think my OH drinks a wee bit too much at weekends too but i would never ask him to cut out the beers as he works so hard all week. although i would like him to say he would cut down himself.

I caught him on laptop last night looking up 'tips to concieve':) thought that was really sweet:dance:

I caught him on laptop last night looking up 'tips to concieve':) thought that was really sweet:dance:

Oh bless him, I think that's great he's looking into it as most men need telling or at least a shove in the right direction :lol:

How's you Nurse?

xxx

I know kezza, hes a good boy :)

I'm good, hopefully going to OV this week, so in good spirits, def my fav week of the month.

Hows things with you lovely?

I know kezza, hes a good boy :)

I'm good, hopefully going to OV this week, so in good spirits, def my fav week of the month.

Hows things with you lovely?

:yay: for OV, hope the lil :sperm: catch your :egg: & it's your month

I'm really good thanks hun, getting back into my baking & cooking at home again now so the OH is enjoying all his delights :)

xxx

He took to work yesterday 4 lots of cookies:

*Cranberry & orange
*Spices apple & raisin
*Oats, Blueberry & honey
*Choc chip & hazelnut

Dinner last night was bruschetta for starter then buttered prawn pasta with chilli & garlic for main

SCRUMMILICIOUS

xxx

Wow that all sounds amazing, your OH is a lucky man

I love cookies! love the sound of the oats, blueberry and honey ones! :)

I made OH carrotcake last week him and his work mates said it was the best carrot cake they had ever had :)

Awwww thanks hun :blush: My nickname between my folks & best friend is stepford!

Mmmmmm carrot cake, now my mum would be unbelievably jealous, it's her all time favourite & it's such a nice feeling when the work mates have great comments to

xxx

:rofl: stepford!! bet they are just envious of all them lovely treats you are making for OH!

Oooooo I didn't think of it like that actually, hehehe your probably right though :lol:

I'm baking my friends birthday cake this week, a 3 tier orange sponge cake with orange buttercream covered chocolate flavoured regal icing with an orange icing ribbon & bow on the top

xxx

That sounds amazing kezza! my mouth is watering just reading that.

Thanks girls, I'll post a picture when it's all done

In the last year I made a cake that was the crystal palace logo & for my OH a replica of his ford focus, he was so chuffed bless him :)

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back