Doctor or Midwife

Beeble

Reaction score
Hi

I am just over 6 weeks so I tried booking a docs appt last week but they don't have anything till tomorrow evening so I am going in then.

However, I spoke to my friend who said she called the docs and told them what appt was for and just got an appt with the midwife instead!

What am I supposed to do first? Doctor or Midwife...very confused! x

Are you on any medication you might need reviewed/removed, or are you having any other problems? If not I think the midwife will be enough hun. I saw the GP because of medication and because I simply didn't know what to do next, plus, having to go to another doctors to see my team of midwives, I needed advice on that. Speak to the receptionist in the morning, see what they say maybe?

I was advised to see the go who referred me to the midwife xx

If you give your surgery a ring hun they should be able to advise you on who you need to see. Our gp surgery dont require you to confirm with a gp, you just self refer to the midwife xxx

My piece of shit galaxy ace

It varies from surgery to surgery. Mine were happy for me to just book in with MW at 8w. Some surgeries/areas require you to see your GP to be referred.

If you feel you need general advice (on food/folic acid etc), this is basically all the GP will do, unless he needs to do the referral.

I had to see the GP first, to be referred to midwife, but then i had to phone and book my scan. Everywhere does it differently so if they've booked you in with either it doesn't matter. So long as you get referred for your scan! make sure you see the doc if you have any specific concerns but midwife will refer you back if she's concerned anyway! there is very little they wil do until 8 weeks or more anyway in my experience. My GP gave me multivits i was already taking and a load of pregnancy info leaflets and that was it.

Yeah id call docs and see cos I booked in with mw not gp

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

It depends on your GP's surgery!!

I had to see GP who referred me to MW.

I'll be doing shared care as well so half my appointments will be at hospital and the rest at my GP's.

You may have a community midwife who works out of the your GP surgery though so you may only need to go to hospital for scans?

As I say it all depends on how they do things at your surgery

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Got a community midwife here who is only here once a week. So upon phoning and saying who I need to see, I was told to see her at 8 to 10 weeks. I then said what about my tablets and they said oh year see GP and booked me in.

Good job I did see GP as ALL my migraine meds and athritus meds had to stop right there and then cold turkey as could kill LO (and could of been course of my early MMCs before)

So best ring surgury up and ask :)

Lucky you went to see them! Oh dear!
I think I will go see the GP tomorrow since I have had the appt booked for a while, plus could do with talking to them about it due to the chemical last month. No doubt it will be a quick appt and I will have to wait for midwife appt, oh well. It is a confusing time when you don't know where to start! x

Certainly is. I have no idea why they all think every woman aoutmatically knows where to go and what to do when they get pregnant.

Quick update -

Saw doctor yesterday. He basically accepted my word on being pregnant, asked my last period date, calculated the due date, put in a referral and then gave me a pregnancy pack and sent me on my way.

Got home, filled out the info that he said I needed to do before calling the midwife.

Called midwife today, she says its too early to contact them and that I should call them at 10 weeks then they can arrange a day to come and visit me to do some paperwork!

Is this normal?

Basically I am on my own from the start of pregnancy to week 10 without going through things with the doctor or midwife?!

For a first pregnancy I feel a little abandoned :(

i didnt see my midwife until i was 12 weeks x

Thanks for that, just needed to know it was normal. As a first time pregnancy I have a lot of questions and the doctor doesn't deal with it, the midwife does so seems odd to be left all this time with no meeting or chat. I mean how do they know if I am taking the folic acid thats recommended. Seems very odd. Would have preferred an initial meeting at the 7 - 8 week mark. x

they pretty much leave it up to you. My doc told me to take it but i was already taking it before. Midwives can't do much with you before at 8 weeks bloods or 12 weeks scan depending on the area. They can answer a few questions but most are minor (as they see it), they seem to forget we need our nerves calmed and niggles answered!

I saw my doctor at 6 weeks then had my booking in appointment at about 8 weeks. No complaints from my PCT they have been amazing. My best friend is my midwife so I think I'm just getting VIP treatment lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back