Disappointed :(

kanga86

Reaction score
I had my 16 week midwife appointment this morning all is well and she found Roo's heartbeat nice and easily. It was around 148bpm, which is what I usually get it as at home on my doppler. She said it was fast and thinks it's possibly a girl. Now I know I shouldn't be sad or disappointed at the thought of a girl but I am, I have my heart set on having a boy first and so many people have said to me they think boy. So in my head I have got used to thinking of Roo as a boy not a girl. I feel so bad for feeling unhappy at the prospect of a girl :(

Now I know the heartbeat thing isn't always accurate but how many of u ladies have had a midwife say a gender from the heartbeat and actually get it right? I know babybo was predicted a girl and it was right. xx

Last edited:
My midwife at 16 weeks thought girl and then the midwife yesterday said girl before we had said anything to her about the sex and were having a boy, so I said we were and she was shocked :)

Apparently telling from the heartbeat this early is not accurate at all so I wouldn;t worry too much just hold on until your 20 week scan :)

Big hugs to you though xxxxx

To be honest never heard of heartbeat having any effect on the whether its a girl or boy so wouldn't even think about it!!

Presume you're going to find out at your 20 week scan what you're having?

my babes was 150bpm and is a boy. Apparently it only counts in labour (the hb thing!). Tbh I had my heart totally set on a girl but when you see that 20 week pic regardless of what it is you will fall in love. xxx

ye i was going to say teh same, the heartbeat thing is only relevant when you are in labour apparently, other than that just an old wives tale. Hope you get your boy hun :) xx

The heartbeat thing is definitely not accurate, my boy and my girls heartbeats have been around the same so i really think it depends on the pregnancy don't think it is a reflection of gender. I was convinced when i was having my first it was a boy, everyone kept saying it was a boy so when it was a girl we were in total shock! I always wanted a little lad first too but honestly you want care one bit once that little one is in your arms. My little girl was so perfect and she is like my best little mate, its lovely :) I have two girlies now, we lost our little boy but I adore my girls and we love having them. Girls are fabulous, very content as babies and my eldest is so polite and generous and makes me so proud :)

I was gonna say I thought the heartbeat thing was an old wives tale!

You won't know until your scan hun so don't assume anything until then. And I'm sure when you get your little bundle boy or girl you won't be disappointed :)

My sons heartbeat was always faster than that, 150+bpm usually!!

Aww babe don't panic. I think I was one of the few where the heartbeat thing did work but honestly don't get yourself into a tis!! When's your scan?
My friend was absolutely convinced she was having a girl. But when she found out it was a boy she was gutted for all of 5 mins!! She then got excited and remembered that he was healthy and perfect!!
So if it is a girl I'm sure you will be sad for a few mins then it'll hit you that it's perfect and doesn't matter xxx

At 16 week app babys heartbeat was 154 at 20 weeks it was still in 150s ive just come from midwives nd babys.heartbeat at 23 weeks is now in 130s nd im having a girl so dont be worrying it changes :) xx

Thank u everyone :hugs: I know I will still be happy with a girl and it does seem more likely I will have a girl as my family is all girls. My grandma has 2 sisters, between them there is 5 girls and 1 boy, then my mum and her sisters have 6 girls and 1 boy, and out of us cousins there is already 3 girls and 1 boy.

My oh is an only child, but all his cousins are boys and there are 6 of them, so I'm hoping this sways it even.

My scan is 3rd Feb, so 2 weeks today, seems ages away still :) xxx

Don't worry hun, the midwife said the baby's hb was really fast when she listened at my 16 week appointment, but put it down to the fact I'd just had lunch so peanut had an energy spurt. I asked if it indicated girl and she said there's no link as the baby's heartbeat will change and you can't link it to one sex. We have the feeling we're having a boy and to be honest if we're told it's a girl we'll be shocked because like you say I've started to think of them as a boy but I know we'll be over the moon either way. My SIL was convinced hers was a boy and had her heart set on a boy but when they told her it was a girl she was so proud she forgot all about having a preference xxx

Oooh Kanga your scan is on my birthday :D
i originally had my heart set on a boy but i have started to change my way of thinking so that i wont get too set on it and disappointed at the scan so now i'm not bothered what we have so long as its healthy and my DD has now changed her mind and also said shes not bothered if its a girl or a boy as has my OH which take the pressure off a little haha!! xx

Thank u everyone :hugs: I know I will still be happy with a girl and it does seem more likely I will have a girl as my family is all girls. My grandma has 2 sisters, between them there is 5 girls and 1 boy, then my mum and her sisters have 6 girls and 1 boy, and out of us cousins there is already 3 girls and 1 boy.

My oh is an only child, but all his cousins are boys and there are 6 of them, so I'm hoping this sways it even.

Most of my sisters kids are girls, there are 2 boys in total out of 7 at the moment, we are soon to boost it to 3 so I wouldn;t worry too much xxx

Mines was 146-148bpm at my 16 week appointment too & Im defo having a boy :)

don,t no my baby,s hb so no help there, but I think it only counts in labour. And I can totaly relate on the sex thing, as you may have seen on my scan thread, I really didn't want another boy and thankfuly I got my wish, not that I wouldn't love a boy any less. Hope you get your boy xx

I felt the same about the sex. Really wanted a boy and kind of felt like it would be. We didn't find out at the 20 week scan but when they took the thigh bone measurements from underneath I was sure I'd see boy bits drift into view! Neither me nor DH saw any hint of boy parts at any point in the scan so I started to prepare myself for it being a girl but felt disappointed at the thought :( it feels selfish to have a gender preference for your first but you can't help it! I was chuffed when we finally found out it was a boy at our 3D scan, but I know I would have found the positives in having a girl if that's what it had been. Don't lose sleep over it like I did! (trawling Internet sites trying to work out if not seeing boy bits at 20 weeks definitely meant girl and scrutinising my 12 week nub photo) Whatever will be will be! :) x

i wouldnt worry too much hun, you think u will be disappointed but you wont be :) and as for all the girls in on ur side dont really count as men determine sex of baby!!

im one of 5 girls my brother has 2 girls and 3 boys, my sis has 3 girls and 2 boys
OH is one of 3 boys, his brother has 2 boys and im pregnant with my 3rd boy so im following OH side :dance:

as for the heartbeat my LO was 148bpm at 24 week appt and same at 16 week, im sure you will be fine when the scan comes around xxx

I am a midwife and I would never gender guess from the heartbeat. It is only really typical for girls heartbeats to be faster once they are born, it doesn't mean anything when they are inside your tummy. If your heartbeat is fast, babies will be too. My babies heartbeat has been above 145bpm throughout the whole pregnancy and I am having a boy. Don't worry honey, that really isn't an accurate measurement of gender at all at this stage xxx

Awwww hunni bless you I wouldn't try to worry shes just guessing after all just wait till your 20 weeks scan when you will be able to see for yourself unlike me lol I have to wait till lo is born as he or she had there legs crossed the whole time takes after his or her dad xxxx

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back