Contraception...any for a man to take?

nickilubs

Reaction score
Im not jumping on him quite yet hehe think I will wait to heal up a bit first but I am thinking of contraception now we have our little sweet pea here.

They mentioned the Implant (my midwife seemed to be getting a bit excited about this) but I don't really like the idea of it sorry to be a wuss but the idea of a tube stuck in my arm freaks me out quite a bit I was bad enough with the catheter in hospital I was begging them to take it out! Condoms are a option but then they are a bit of a pain a effective pain none the less, but I would preffer to move on to something else now. Then theres the pill but I am breast feeding so will need something to go with that, also we probably would carry on using condoms and the pill because Im not sure I would fully trust it. The other thing is that my OH has said is there anything he can have (other than a vasectomy lol) is there a pill for men or anything that wouldn't effect him in the future if we were to try for more children? What other options is there? I dont think I would go for the coil but if anyone has and could explain it would be helpful.

Thanks xx

As far as I'm aware here isn't anything men can take - though i'd not trust my OH to remember!
We're stuck using condoms because I HATE the pill - and I got pregnant on it! They do do a pill that you can take during breastfeeding.

My doc reccomended the hormone coil as it stops periods (in most cases) is easy to fit and can be removed easily when you want to TTC, however i opted against it as the idea didn't appeal to me and I'm squemish!

I do not want the implant as it too make me feel :puke: and i've seen a few people who've had bad experiences and lost sex drive etc

There is the depo injection BUT once it is out it can take over a year before your fertility returns so not an option really if you want to TTC

I personally (if i were you) would get the pill that goes with breastfeeding (possibly the mini-pill?) and use condoms also...

:hug: :hug: :hug:

hey hun ive just started taking the mini pill (micronor) its safe whilst im bfeeding!!! whatever you do dont take the pill till ure LO is 6 weeks old my GP put me on it 3 weeks to soon and it made me ill, i bled really heavily!!!!!!
wish there was a man pill tho xxxxxxxxxx

I had the mini pill while breastfeeding. But the main downside is that you have a very small window to take it. Like the combi pill can be up to 12 hours late but this has to be taken within an hour or so the same time every day. Nightmare for me. I got too complacent after my 3rd baby cos I was breastfeeding and hadn't got my periods back so thought it was safe but ended up getting pregnant again on it! :lol:

Also, when I had it after my second baby, it made me have periods pretty much every 2 weeks. So not necessarily for everyone, but may be worth a go for a while. :think:

Don't think I'd trust my OH or myself taking any pills next time. :lol: I'm maybe gonna give the implant a go. When I've been through 4 labours I can cope with a little tube!

Don't think I'd wanna do the injection cos I've seen people put on loads of weight with it and I'm gonna have enough problems losing the baby weight! :roll:

Good luck with whatever you go for!

MummyJess said:
I had the mini pill while breastfeeding. But the main downside is that you have a very small window to take it. Like the combi pill can be up to 12 hours late but this has to be taken within an hour or so the same time every day.

I was on the mini pill last year to cover us after DH had just had his vasectomy (which as a method worked really well :rotfl: ) I was really suprised how good the mini pill was and the window for error was actually better than the combined. I had a real phobia of getting pregnant ( :lol: @that now! ) and was guarenteed by the family planning consultant that in most cases once you had built up the pill in your system you would have to miss several days before actually being at risk of becoming pregnant... they obviously didnt reccommend you be reckless and still noted the MAP would be wise if you did slip up.

Have you got a family planning clinic near you? I found these really helpful, maybe you could go and have a general chat, thats what I did and had a brilliant service as a result and have always felt really empowered by the choices I made and have not been afraid to go back if things are not right.

I had the mirena coil after DS was born (still BF) and love love loved it until after about 3 years the strings got lost and I had other gyny issues that ment it needed to come out. I had it replaced early after and had another 4 years with no periods, PMT or ANY problems what so ever, then I was in a car crash that dislodged it and I had to think of other methods due to the issues the trauma had caused. For me the mirena was wonderful,,,,but I have a friend that has been very very poorley with it.

There are subtle differences in contraception depending on what hormone they use for e.g. I am terrible with oestragen (SP?) I tried the contraceptive patch (wonderful invention IMO) but it made me really poorley.

So my advice would be to go and have a chat with your local family planning and do some real investigation on what would be best for you.. try it out and then if you have any problems try something else till you find something suitable.

I've just had the implant fitted hun and it wasn't bad at all! I was dreading it but they numb the area so you don't even feel it go in. I too am breastfeeding so didn't really know what to go with, all I know is my mum got pregnant with me on the mini pill so I wasn't willing to risk it especially as I seem to fall pregnant quite easily.

its not on the market just yet but hopefully will be soon but they have just developed the 'male pill'. it bascially stops him being able to ejaculate (im not too sure how though). for me this is great news. i have a hormone imbalance and cant use any contraception with hormones in it, which leaves condoms and im not a fan of those either. luckily for me we are TTC so its not a problem at the moment. when i was on the pill i had a period every other week and then i was on the depo injection and had a period non stop for 6 months!!! oh it was awful!!!! but back to what i was saying, they reckon the male pill will be on the market next year but like suzie said, you really have to trust your OH to remember to take it! i will have to nag mine everyday!! lol

suzie xx

MummyJess said:
I had the mini pill while breastfeeding. But the main downside is that you have a very small window to take it. Like the combi pill can be up to 12 hours late but this has to be taken within an hour or so the same time every day. Nightmare for me. I got too complacent after my 3rd baby cos I was breastfeeding and hadn't got my periods back so thought it was safe but ended up getting pregnant again on it! :lol:

Why did no body tell me this!!! i take the pill when i remember, usually when i get up but that can range from 7am-1pm!!!! I just assumed it was like the combined pill and as long as i take one a day it's ok! I may have to ask about this as although i really want a second baby i'd like to have a choice in the matter this time.

I also heard about the male pill and i'd contemplate trying to convince Dave to go on it (not sure it'd work) as i dont really like taking pills everyday, thats whhy i came off it in the first place and ended up preggers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back