Colic/Reflux & Comfort milk

russellmuscle

Reaction score
Ok so I'm posting here because I've trolled the Internet and other posts about the above.

Carter is 4w on Sunday. Since about 2w when he's started being awake after every feed is followed by grunting hunch in forward and wind. We are and have been on infacol ages and use 2 drops. We use dr brown bottles wind every 2oz, stirring bottles as apposed to shake, MAM bottles, massage, tummy time the lot.

So I'm about to move onto comfort and wondering if anyone's tried it.

I also am not sure whether he has colic reflux or both. He cries alot of the day or itll be day till night. If we bath him he sleeps sound after that waking for feeds and settling easier until the morning and it's all over again. Any time he's awake he's grunting shuffling and crying. He hunches forward knees up and arches back plus sneezes hiccups and the odd cough. He just randomly seems in pain too alot of twisting flapping of arms aggressively and cries. Just wondering if anyone's tried the comfort and if it worked with the above symptoms. Also he does look for food constantly but I'm aware over feeding Jackson made things worse so we try give him 3oz if he goes 2.5-3hr and 4oz for 3.5-4hr. He only mainly goes the 3.5-4hr at night tho.

I'm just trying to get to the 6w as Jackson calmed by this point also I want to get to the gp and say I've tried every single thing.

He's on cow and gate stage 1 now but we have the comfort colic and constipation in. He isn't constipated but the rest fits.

Any ideas?

xxxxx

Last edited:
Tongue tie - get him seen by a lactation consultant. GPs and midwives are not qualified to diagnose tongue tie so please don't take their word for it. Comfort milk can often make things worse so I would check there is no physical reason causing the feeding issues before you switch milks. My lo had horrendous feeding issues until he had tongue tie diagnosed at 13 weeks. I paid £200 to see a private consultant and it was the best money I could have spent xx

Tongue tie - get him seen by a lactation consultant. GPs and midwives are not qualified to diagnose tongue tie so please don't take their word for it. Comfort milk can often make things worse so I would check there is no physical reason causing the feeding issues before you switch milks. My lo had horrendous feeding issues until he had tongue tie diagnosed at 13 weeks. I paid £200 to see a private consultant and it was the best money I could have spent xx

It's mainly digestion is the feeding issues though. I can hear him struggling with wind or trapped wind almost. Coupled with the hunching.

We also don't bf we are FF and have had no attaching or feeding issues in a sense he's gaining and eating fine.

He has no physical feeding issues it's more once the milk goes in. Comfort milk has pretty split reviews so at this point given that I've tried everything it is a last resort but hoping the reduced lactose helps the digestion process.

My older boy had SR and caused alot of the symptoms that Carter has with rooting and unsettled after feeds.

Pretty sure it's eithe colic reflux or both.

I'll have a wee look at his tongue when he wakes but he is able to tongue poke quite far too which leads me to believe the skin under is fine.

Thanks xxxx

I'd rule out cmpa too, they can check the ph of the breath for reflux. I think the comfort milk can in return cause constipation as I believe it's thicker? But I suppose you can give up to 3oz cooled boiled water to help him going if you do try the comfort milk. I think when it comes to the milks it's all trial and error, shame you have to buy a big tub of it just in case it doesn't help x

I'd rule out cmpa too, they can check the ph of the breath for reflux. I think the comfort milk can in return cause constipation as I believe it's thicker? But I suppose you can give up to 3oz cooled boiled water to help him going if you do try the comfort milk. I think when it comes to the milks it's all trial and error, shame you have to buy a big tub of it just in case it doesn't help x

Im definitely going to mention it when we to to gp at 6w.

He isn't constipated now he goes 1-3 times a day but yeah I'll keep an eye out. I was actually hoping as it eases constipation his toilet wouldn't go the other way and start shitting everywhere lol.

It was a total toss up between the colic comfort and reflux comfort. I just went with the colic because the reflux is for regurgitating which he isn't really doing. If he is it's going back down hence thinking silent reflux as he does gulp at nothing and make a wee squeak that way when we get something come back on us.

I know there was no cartons of the comfort. But either way you end up spending. Coleif is like 12 quid and we needed more milk anyway so was cheaper to spend the extra few quid and try the comfort. As that doES the same thing as the coleif with respect to the lactose.

I'm just hoping the easy digest helps the reflux in some way too because it's not as bad I think more colic but because it's both it seems pretty bad. He settles easy during the night now touch wood. When Jackson had SR it was literally round the clock screaming and over eating.

Think also perhaps because ive been on ball and not over feeding him it hasn't got as bad. With Jackson I didn't know and under HV guidance fed on demand which just made life hell and in the end we had to cut him back. So with Carter we already do that and try feed oz by hr. He is still making good weight although the 4oz every 3hr made him jump a centile in a week weight wise so hv did say maybe it was too much.

xxxxx

It's mainly digestion is the feeding issues though. I can hear him struggling with wind or trapped wind almost. Coupled with the hunching.

We also don't bf we are FF and have had no attaching or feeding issues in a sense he's gaining and eating fine.

He has no physical feeding issues it's more once the milk goes in. Comfort milk has pretty split reviews so at this point given that I've tried everything it is a last resort but hoping the reduced lactose helps the digestion process.

My older boy had SR and caused alot of the symptoms that Carter has with rooting and unsettled after feeds.

Pretty sure it's eithe colic reflux or both.

I'll have a wee look at his tongue when he wakes but he is able to tongue poke quite far too which leads me to believe the skin under is fine.

Thanks xxxx

My lo had lots of problems with wind and tummy pain. Dr was convinced he had reflux and colic which he did but both were caused by tongue tie. As baby can't move milk effectively in their mouth it causes problems when they're swallowing and digesting. Other signs are dribbling milk at the corners of mouth and a clicking sound when feeding. Both midwife and dr dismissed the idea of tongue tie as his latch was fine and he was gaining weight. Also, the NHS don't believe that bottle fed babies have problems with feeding due to tongue tie (only if they're breast fed) which is nonsense.

I was however absolutely convinced my lo didn't have tongue tie and ignored a friend that kept telling me to get him checked. I believed that as he could stick his tongue out beyond his lips he couldn't have it but he was actually 60% tied with a posterior tie which an untrained eye could not see. I honestly believe anyone who's baby is suffering from colic and/or reflux symptoms should get them professionally checked for tongue tie as it is so often the cause.

Hope you find the answer for your lo, it's so hard dealing with it xxx

My LO used the comfort milk. I only give one bottle a day though, iv brought normal cow and gate today as they didn't have comfort. I think it's worth a shot and see if it helps.

My boy had colic and tongue tie (op for that at 10 days old) and although we BF which I know you're not doing, I found tummy massages that I learned on the baby massage course did relieve his symptoms and help the poo/wind come out xx

Yes I agree with that baby massage helped a lot.

Thanks guys.

So far the milk we are only a couple bottles in and it hasn't got worse anyway.

We do massage. I learned them when I had Jackson. He does bring up wind and let wind out the bottom and poop. I think it seems to be more trapped wind and or reflux.

Thanks though I'll post how we are getting on.

xxxx

You can get Colief on the minor ailment scheme at your local pharmacy for no cost!

Yepp GP can prescribe on repeat prescription too but only when you can prove your spending every other week and its the only thing working. I used coleif with my first to no avail so not wanting to go down that route esp since the bottles either need to be made in advance and refrigerated or made up then left to cool then the drops are added for half hour. We make the bottles up 30 min prior and sometimes that isn't even enough time as he wants it lol.

The comfort does the same job as coleif and it's what we are using now so no point switching him back to stage 1 just to try the coleif.

Thanks for your reply xxxx

You can get Colief on the minor ailment scheme at your local pharmacy for no cost!

I use colief for Jacob and have been refused it on minor ailments, I'm having to pay for it but it does work so I don't mind.
I don't wait 30 minutes and it still works xx

My 5 week old son was in alot of pain he would cry for hours and not settle to sleep for more than 45mins. Tried colief since yesterday and its worked wonders. He is like a different baby. So much happier. I will give him gripe water in between feeds too for any trapped wind. I have his 6w appointment on Thursday so hoping to get colief prescribed on repeat prescription as its £12 per bottle which i think will last just a week. I really hope i have found the solution to his pain. It broke my heart to see him in so much discomfort. I am hesitant to switch to comfort formula incase it the switch makes thinga worse

Apart from really smelly nappies and wind. The colic has reduced.

Next step is sort the reflux if no dice by 6w.

xxxx

xxxx

Hi russell how is your sons colic now. I am still struggling. I am thinking of charging formula to aptimel colic and constipation but not sure if the transition will make things worse. He is on sma at the moment and using colief drops

What bottles are you using? We switched to mam bottles and it made a huge difference.
Jacobs worse time was between 6pm and 8pm so we also brought his bath time forward to around 6.30pm, a warm bath, then bottle and bed also worked wonders.
It's horrible seeing them in pain but we're out the other side now and he's been really good since about 8 weeks.
I've read a lot about SMA not agreeing with a lot of babies so even just switching to normal aptamil and seeing how that goes?

What bottles are you using? We switched to mam bottles and it made a huge difference.
Jacobs worse time was between 6pm and 8pm so we also brought his bath time forward to around 6.30pm, a warm bath, then bottle and bed also worked wonders.
It's horrible seeing them in pain but we're out the other side now and he's been really good since about 8 weeks.
I've read a lot about SMA not agreeing with a lot of babies so even just switching to normal aptamil and seeing how that goes?

Hi scn. I am using the dr brown anti colic bottles. I regret starting him on sma formula but i didnt know better at the time. He hasnt slept much all day..as soon as he falls asleep he wakes up with tummy pain. Its so sad to see. I have mine and and his 6 week check tomorrow. I will see what the gp says.

We tried mam and are now using dr browns.

I see a slight difference. But then I'm terrified to use my other bottles incase it does make it better. :lol:

Hope your Lil man eases soon. Some days are better than others here just hoping he will grow out of it like his brother did.

xxxxx

xxxx

Hi russell how is your sons colic now. I am still struggling. I am thinking of charging formula to aptimel colic and constipation but not sure if the transition will make things worse. He is on sma at the moment and using colief drops

It's a bit better. We still have good and bad days but digestion wise the only thing differs is it stinks like hell lol. Like rotten sewage. But I have noticed a slight improvement because he's windy he seems to settle a bit sooner after feeds because he seems to trump more and get it out rather than struggle.

We tried gripe water today no dice.

I moved Jackson from sma to first stage cow and gate when he was wee and the change was instant he was great on it and no upset but this time we started on first stage and carters no good on it but tbf I think he has an immature gut just hoping he out grows it.

xxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back