Colic/Reflux & Comfort milk

We had a bad day yesterday too. It started off well but not sure if it's been too much on his bowels. First couple feeds were fine he took them well and went to sleep. Then after his bath he took 1.5hr to settle. He seemed in pain but not by reflux either. I thought he kept trying to go toilet and he was passing wind. Then last night after settling down after the 2am feed he woke at 3.30 wriggling and crying then he got his normal 6am then 9am but did a poop this morning which was like wallpaper paste.

I was giving him one each feed but today I've tried every other feed so will see if that makes a difference tonight.

I just would like the crying to stop. For him and my own sanity lol.

xxxx
xxxxx

Yeh try the gaviscon in every other feed and see how it goes. So far its been a good day today but till a long night ahead of us so anything can happen lol

Went to see my inlaws today. It was good for the both of us to get out of the house. Some times i get so caught up with colic and reflux and gaviscon and poo lol that i forget there is a world out there

I cant waittt for this colic phase to be over

We had a bad day yesterday too. It started off well but not sure if it's been too much on his bowels. First couple feeds were fine he took them well and went to sleep. Then after his bath he took 1.5hr to settle. He seemed in pain but not by reflux either. I thought he kept trying to go toilet and he was passing wind. Then last night after settling down after the 2am feed he woke at 3.30 wriggling and crying then he got his normal 6am then 9am but did a poop this morning which was like wallpaper paste.

I was giving him one each feed but today I've tried every other feed so will see if that makes a difference tonight.

I just would like the crying to stop. For him and my own sanity lol.

xxxx
xxxxx

Yeh try the gaviscon in every other feed and see how it goes. So far its been a good day today but till a long night ahead of us so anything can happen lol

Went to see my inlaws today. It was good for the both of us to get out of the house. Some times i get so caught up with colic and reflux and gaviscon and poo lol that i forget there is a world out there

I cant waittt for this colic phase to be over

I'll probably get another poop tomorrow he usually only goes once a day but he hasn't been overly unsettled. My mum took him for a while earlier so I could sleep and I woke in a panic. So used to hearing him crying I didn't know where I was when I woke lol. I'm ready for tonight though. He took his feed at 11.30 but slept 4hr before that so not sure how he will be.

I was thinking Carter might be worse this week due to leap. We are in week 5. I don't remember Jackson being overly unsettles at leaps but could be just so much going on. I'm slowly going to start again. We stopped the infacol and it's been fine. So next I'll try switching the mill back to stage 1. It's got the stage he's on everything so when he's unsettled I dunno what is wrong. Could be reflux bowels colic. So frustrating. We have HV six week check tomorrow. Not that the HV has been much use. She dismissed SR and asked on the phone last week if the sickness stopped. He's not been sick.

I'm the same. I never go out I'm too scared he will be so unsettled. It's a shame on Jackson too because I feel like I'm having to constantly quiet him when Carter gives me a break and sleeps ofcourse he's only 3 being a 3 year old so it's hard.

Atleast we aren't alone with our crying babies lol. I do remember Jackson hitting 8w and being a new baby and sleeping through but not sure I'll get it easy this time. Hang on in there.

xxxx

Before i took my son out i felt nervous too thinking what will happen if he starts crying. Then i thought all babies cry and its good for him and for me to get out for some fresh air. He likes being in his car seat and sleeps in the car too. Yesterday he started crying at my inlaws house but i had lots of help and he was fine in a few minutes.

The coolee boilee water i give him inbetween feeds has helped with his constipation. He still strains and is very uncomfortable when he does a poo but so far he has done a poo every other day.

Hows your little one getting on? X x

Oh my.. We had a great night day and so far night again. Not sure if it was cutting out the infacol, gaviscon kicking in or both or even time but last night he fed 1030pm then straight down then 3am then straight back down then 6am then back down then we woke and took Jackson to nursery and he fed when we got back at 0930 then he lay awake quiet for 2hours then fell asleep in his mamaroo. The HV came and woke him did his checks he was fine then he had his feed 1230 and went back to sleep lol then 4pm did a poop a bit hard so will introduce water tomorrow then 1930 settled himself in his moses with no dummy. And he just woke at 12 for a feed and right back down with minimal grunting.

I might go as far to say he hasn't cried alllll day. Maybe a wee grunt or whinge here or there but nothing major. I'm in such a better mood already. I felt myself getting anoxious every feed.

SIL and my two neicES came up today so I was kept sleep.

Just hope it wasnt a complete fluke.

How's your wee one getting on?

xxxxx

Oh my.. We had a great night day and so far night again. Not sure if it was cutting out the infacol, gaviscon kicking in or both or even time but last night he fed 1030pm then straight down then 3am then straight back down then 6am then back down then we woke and took Jackson to nursery and he fed when we got back at 0930 then he lay awake quiet for 2hours then fell asleep in his mamaroo. The HV came and woke him did his checks he was fine then he had his feed 1230 and went back to sleep lol then 4pm did a poop a bit hard so will introduce water tomorrow then 1930 settled himself in his moses with no dummy. And he just woke at 12 for a feed and right back down with minimal grunting.

I might go as far to say he hasn't cried alllll day. Maybe a wee grunt or whinge here or there but nothing major. I'm in such a better mood already. I felt myself getting anoxious every feed.

xxxxx

Oh brilliant! I hope it carries on for you. We dad a good day but not having a good night. He suddenly has decided he doesnt like his cot. He wakes up as soon as i put him in it.

Just when i feel things are getting better then something else happens :-(

xxxxx

Oh brilliant! I hope it carries on for you. We dad a good day but not having a good night. He suddenly has decided he doesnt like his cot. He wakes up as soon as i put him in it.

Just when i feel things are getting better then something else happens :-(

The dream ended. He was quite constipated today and has been quite irratable I never gave gaviscon for two feeds to give his wee bowels a chance and gave him water so might get something tomorrow. But gaviscon for his next feed. Tonight is the longest he's slept from 1930 then up for a while screaming then down by half 9 and nothing so just gonna wake him at 1230 and get to sleep myself. Not sure if it's constipation or the fact we didn't use gaviscon. He was doing loud farts and straining so could even be wind. I hate all this random button pushing. Wish I just knew what was wrong.

I have the gp on Monday so will ask for some lactulose if the water doesn't shift he's had about 3oz today of water so we will see. He usually settles quite well at night so hoping tonight goes ok.

I was just starting to enjoy myself again yesterday. It sucks lol.

Hope your day was good xxxx

Last edited:
We had a decent poop today. Not as hard just lumpy. He was ok during the night. Perhaps just a but bunged or colic or something...

xxxx

We had a decent poop today. Not as hard just lumpy. He was ok during the night. Perhaps just a but bunged or colic or something...

xxxx

Had a poop today too after 2 days. He seems relaxed..i still cant get him to sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time. The most he has slept is around 2hrs 15mins. Both day and night. Not sure why. I remember you saying your on sleeps for a 4hr hour stretch at a time. Not sure if i am doing something wrong

Does your son sleep in his cot? I swaddle mine and he sleeps in his cot which is in our room

I don't think your doing anything wrong. All babies are different and yours is probably building up taking bigger and regular feeds now that he's getting used to some relief from the gaviscon.

He mainly does his longer stretches at night. During the day he's spending a bit of time awake then he falls asleep about 2hr after a feed so he will only sleep for a couple hour at most then because he's up for a feed.

Babies only can do like one long (whatever is long for that baby) a day I read. So like I've noticed when Carter does sleep for 4.5hr usually when he gets his bottle after his bath then bed. So after that feed he drops to only 3hr cycles. That's why I tend to wake him for feeds so he doesn't go longer than 4.5 till during the night. Doesn't always work smetimes he does every 3hr. But he does only have one long stretch per day. He doesn't like everytime sleep for 3-4hr. Sometimes it's as little as 30 mins he will settle before a feed is due other times he will go 5hr without a feed. But longer stretches always at night.

I remember when Jackson slept longer he was on like 6oz feeds so perhaps he will go longer once he can take in more same with your boy.

Another poop this evening so the water must have been good enough. Not hard either so ok.

He sleeps in his moses. But he is getting a bit big now. I did originally order the snuzpod but changed for a next to me but I'll put that up in the next couple weeks the moses is easier for me to prop up at the back as it's small. And I feel he sleeps better that way.

xxxx

Last edited:
I don't think your doing anything wrong. All babies are different and yours is probably building up taking bigger and regular feeds now that he's getting used to some relief from the gaviscon.

He mainly does his longer stretches at night. During the day he's spending a bit of time awake then he falls asleep about 2hr after a feed so he will only sleep for a couple hour at most then because he's up for a feed.

Babies only can do like one long (whatever is long for that baby) a day I read. So like I've noticed when Carter does sleep for 4.5hr usually when he gets his bottle after his bath then bed. So after that feed he drops to only 3hr cycles. That's why I tend to wake him for feeds so he doesn't go longer than 4.5 till during the night. Doesn't always work smetimes he does every 3hr. But he does only have one long stretch per day. He doesn't like everytime sleep for 3-4hr. Sometimes it's as little as 30 mins he will settle before a feed is due other times he will go 5hr without a feed. But longer stretches always at night.

I remember when Jackson slept longer he was on like 6oz feeds so perhaps he will go longer once he can take in more same with your boy.

Another poop this evening so the water must have been good enough. Not hard either so ok.

He sleeps in his moses. But he is getting a bit big now. I did originally order the snuzpod but changed for a next to me but I'll put that up in the next couple weeks the moses is easier for me to prop up at the back as it's small. And I feel he sleeps better that way.

xxxx

Thanks for your encouragement. I guess you are right every baby is different. Its the lack of sleep thats getting to me lol

Its been a week since i changed formulas and since he has been on gaviscon. He is so much calmer. And its so nice to see him like this. Today he did cry aftet waking up from his nap and i think it was the reflux getting to him. He is also a very light sleeper i am having to tip toe around him lol

Strongminded you're doing a fab job!
Jacob fed 3 hourly for ages, he would start to get restless and look for it after 2.5 hours then feed and take 20 minutes to resettle then it would take me ages to fall back asleep which meant I was running on getting about an hours sleep in between feeds, it was totally exhausting but it does get easier as they manage to take bigger amounts. When you feel he has settled a bit with the gaviscon etc and is managing the amount you give him fine try increasing it by an ounce to see if he can take it, that's what I did and it helped Jacob stretch to 4 hours, once he went back to 3 hourly with the increased amount I would do 3 hourly for a couple of days then increase by an ounce again and so on.
It does get easier xx

Strongminded you're doing a fab job!
Jacob fed 3 hourly for ages, he would start to get restless and look for it after 2.5 hours then feed and take 20 minutes to resettle then it would take me ages to fall back asleep which meant I was running on getting about an hours sleep in between feeds, it was totally exhausting but it does get easier as they manage to take bigger amounts. When you feel he has settled a bit with the gaviscon etc and is managing the amount you give him fine try increasing it by an ounce to see if he can take it, that's what I did and it helped Jacob stretch to 4 hours, once he went back to 3 hourly with the increased amount I would do 3 hourly for a couple of days then increase by an ounce again and so on.
It does get easier xx

Thanks scn its much appreciated. Its good to know you went through something similar. I will try to increase his feed by an once and see how he gets on. Like you i am having an hours sleep or even less between feeds. I know it will get easier i just have to hang in there :)

He sleeps better when he is on me or in my bed but i dont want him to get used to this. I am put him in his cot every time. I hope it pays off later on so he can sleep in his cot without a fuss

xxxx

Thanks for your encouragement. I guess you are right every baby is different. Its the lack of sleep thats getting to me lol

Its been a week since i changed formulas and since he has been on gaviscon. He is so much calmer. And its so nice to see him like this. Today he did cry aftet waking up from his nap and i think it was the reflux getting to him. He is also a very light sleeper i am having to tip toe around him lol

Ahh yeah we are just going back to the stage 1 now. If anything I think Carter farts more. He seems to be doing the toilet daily but needed some water today now he's asleep after a bath n bottle.

I'm gonna ask gp for lactulose just incase we need it and I can try the gaviscon every feed as notice when he gets a normal feed he fidgety and hiccups sometimes. But the hiccups have reduced since the gaviscon.

Gonna try coleif with the stage 1 and gaviscon. See how we go.

The lack of sleep is awful. I get all stiff and sore aswell which makes it worse. My knees are killing me and my ankles at night.

I did what scn did any time they drain the bottle like every feed and or ask earlier I try another oz. But be wary because reflux babies can over eat which makes things worse. So just be mindful of how much he takes. Right now because Carter is every 3hr during the day between feeds I give 4.5 oz then at night I offer 5.5oz because he's went that bit longer like 4-5hr without a feed.

xxxx

Last edited:

xxxx

Ahh yeah we are just going back to the stage 1 now. If anything I think Carter farts more. He seems to be doing the toilet daily but needed some water today now he's asleep after a bath n bottle.

I'm gonna ask gp for lactulose just incase we need it and I can try the gaviscon every feed as notice when he gets a normal feed he fidgety and hiccups sometimes. But the hiccups have reduced since the gaviscon.

The lack of sleep is awful. I get all stiff and sore aswell which makes it worse. My knees are killing me and my ankles at night.

I did what scn did any time they drain the bottle like every feed and or ask earlier I try another oz. But be wary because reflux babies can over eat which makes things worse. So just be mindful of how much he takes. Right now because Carter is every 3hr during the day between feeds I give 4.5 oz then at night I offer 5.5oz because he's went that bit longer like 4-5hr without a feed.

xxxx

I think when my son was on colief it made his reflux worse because it made the formula less thick. I find the aptamel colic and constipation formula with the gaviscon work best for him.

He has been very restless today. Didn't nap much during the day. Now giving him hia bottle and i hope he sleeps well. He drinks 4oz usually. One night he drank 5oz at one of his feeds.

He is 7 weeks 1 day today. I hope he settles abit more as the weeks go by. I am dreading the 8 week vaccinations :-/

xxxx

xxxx

I think when my son was on colief it made his reflux worse because it made the formula less thick. I find the aptamel colic and constipation formula with the gaviscon work best for him.

He has been very restless today. Didn't nap much during the day. Now giving him hia bottle and i hope he sleeps well. He drinks 4oz usually. One night he drank 5oz at one of his feeds.

He is 7 weeks 1 day today. I hope he settles abit more as the weeks go by. I am dreading the 8 week vaccinations :-/

Ah the dreaded jabs. I think he will be unsettled since he is anyway lol.

The comfort milk is ok. I kept it maybe kept his bowels a bit better and helped him pass wind but if anything loads he was barely getting peace. I've made up a couple in advance and the next one he has will be stage 1 coleif and gaviscon and we will just try that. The gaviscon thickens it just not as much as the comfort. But the comfort stinks too lol.

We have had an ok night. Fully expect an unsettled few days now that I'm about to change him up again. Hopefully the gp gives us something for on stand by incase he gets bunged up. I don't feel he water is fast acting enough. Will take like a half a day or more then his bowels move and obv he's in pain until then it seems.

We did use infacol for the wind but I think that makes his reflux worse.

4oz is ok esp for his age if he's taking it more frequent. Carter is 6w HV says about 4-4.5oz every 3-4hr is fine for him so we are gradually introducing the 5.

I bet we look back in a few weeks and laugh at this.

Hope you have a good day today.

xxxxx

I hope we look back at this and laugh in a few weeks lol we had a bad night..his reflux really got to him and he cried alot. He finally settled at 2am and slept through until 4.30am which was good then woke up every 1.5 to 2hrs.

I am hoping for a better day today. My husband hasnt been able to help at night for the last week due to shift work but will start helping from tonight so i feel abit better.

I am thinking of moving his cot closer to our bed hoping he will settle abit more that way.

All the best with the changes you are making. All we can do is try. Its harder having a difficult day or night after a few good days i find

Aww poor little one.

I've read online some babies need the gaviscon for the reflux regurgitating and ranitadine for the acid so worth a thought.

God knows what I'm in for today.

xxxx

Aww poor little one.

I've read online some babies need the gaviscon for the reflux regurgitating and ranitadine for the acid so worth a thought.

God knows what I'm in for today.

xxxx

His day was okish yesterday but at night he would wake up every 2hrs. He wasnt crying or any thing. Just fed and slept. How long does it take you to put your son to sleep? I usually rock him in my arms until he falls asleeo and put him in his cot. He wakes up sometimes and i leave him and he falls alseep himself. Other times he starts crying again so i pick him up. I want him to be able to sleep by himself when i put him in his cot. Is it too early to let him cry it out? I am reluctant to do this as i feel crying will make his reflux worse

Oh my gosh girls just seen this! Fair play to you all. My little sister (who is now 13) had colic and silent reflux and i swear i still hear her cry sometimes at 13 yrs on. Its tough going. Glad yous have got SR and tgst diagnosed hopefully its the worst of it over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back