Colic/Reflux & Comfort milk

I have started my son on Aptamil colic and constipation today. Fingers crossed it gives him some relief

Last edited:
Good luck, hope it helps xx

Fx for you.

We had a good day today so far. Even got some big smiles as apposed to constant crying. Whether the milks helping or time I'm not sure but let's see what tonight brings.

xxxx

Fx for you.

We had a good day today so far. Even got some big smiles as apposed to constant crying. Whether the milks helping or time I'm not sure but let's see what tonight brings.

xxxx

Hi Russel what size teat are you using for the comfort milk? I use Dr brown bottles and got size 2 dr brown teats today but my son is struggling abit with them

Fx for you.

xxxx

Hi Russel what size teat are you using for the comfort milk? I use Dr brown bottles and got size 2 dr brown teats today but my son is struggling abit with them

See he's fine on the 1. I have sizes 2 and 3 and both he dribbled and gulped so we just stuck with 1 and because he is quite sucky he gets it fine he doesn't fall asleep during feeds or anything.

You could always take a pin and make the holes on the 2 a wee bit wider if he can't get it out. We are on cow and gate comfort it's not super thick just a bit thicker than normal.

xxxx

Last edited:
Fx for you.

xxxx

See he's fine on the 1. I have sizes 2 and 3 and both he dribbled and gulped so we just stuck with 1 and because he is quite sucky he gets it fine he doesn't fall asleep during feeds or anything.

You could always take a pin and make the holes on the 2 a wee bit wider if he can't get it out. We are on cow and gate comfort it's not super thick just a bit thicker than normal.

xxxx

I managed to make the hole of the size 2 tear a big bigger with a sterilised pin and he seems to suck ok now. Aptimel is thick i am thinking of getting new bottles. He had a restless night waking up after 2 hrs at first then hour and a half and an hour. I just hope he settles in the next few days

I think it sounds like your wee one might have silent reflux. Jackson had this and was unsettled day and night were as I notice with Carter despite the wind he does settle back down at night.

Jackson also went like every couple hours then over ate but some babies go off their food due to the acid after and during feeding.

Have a wee look at the silent reflux and if they are simian I'd speak to gp cause although the milk will help wind etc it won't really help any acid or reflux. Silent reflux always gets confused as colic too but reflux babies are generally more unsettled in pain and avoiding or over eating and arching back with alot of wind.

Alot of babies get it due to an immature gut and we were lucky it left but some babies need a milk change or ranitadine before any improvement is seen.

Fx you find the solution soon you must be knackered and ofcourse we don't like seeing babies in pain.

xxxx

I think it sounds like your wee one might have silent reflux. Jackson had this and was unsettled day and night were as I notice with Carter despite the wind he does settle back down at night.

Jackson also went like every couple hours then over ate but some babies go off their food due to the acid after and during feeding.

Have a wee look at the silent reflux and if they are simian I'd speak to gp cause although the milk will help wind etc it won't really help any acid or reflux. Silent reflux always gets confused as colic too but reflux babies are generally more unsettled in pain and avoiding or over eating and arching back with alot of wind.

Alot of babies get it due to an immature gut and we were lucky it left but some babies need a milk change or ranitadine before any improvement is seen.

Fx you find the solution soon you must be knackered and ofcourse we don't like seeing babies in pain.

xxxx

Hi russell yeh i mention silent reflux to the GP yesterday during the 6 week check and she said that if he is still unsettled after a couple weeks to go see her again.

Today so far has been a bit of a better day today. Last night was thr worse yet lol yeh i am knackered and so is my husband. He has taken a couple of days off work so we hope baby will settle in a few days.

I am taking every day as it comes. I guess we all have to lol x x

xxxx

Hi just wondering how long it took for Jacksons silent reflux to go? I am convinced thats what my baby has after you mentioned it i read more about it online. He doesnt feed well just small amounts every half hour or every hour, he makes a face like has something sour in his mouth, he doesnt settle to sleep well day or night, when feeding he looks so uncomfortable and also gags sometimes. I feel so sad that the gp yesterday did not at least offer infant gaviscon after explaining all this to her and also explaining that he hadsnt had a proper sleep in days.

Tbf hun using the gaviscon only sometimes works. We ended up getting it prescribed but there was a manufacturer issue so didn't physically get it. Luckily his left about 8w but some babies have it longer and usually ranitadine is much better suited. The gaviscon is a milk thickener and almost always causes constipation. You could offer cool boiled water but if he's already suffering you don't wanna make it worse. But also the gaviscon will make the comfort milk thicker so maybe have a wee look online. Google some threads on silent reflux and gaviscon and ranitadine and see what looks best and be open to gp.

GPs usually dismiss SR if baby isn't being sick. Took us 3 goes I think. But I've also read that online alot of mums gets dismissed from gp and misdiagnosed as colic.

Have you tried raising his matress? We've propped carters up and I find he sleeps much better than flat also there some techniques you can try online like keep upright after feeding etc.

Jackson was the opposite he ate constantly so I was always being told oh he is just hungry. But with Carter he is only settled a period of time then is fine during the night and morning. Which points more to colic. What is your HV saying ??

xxxx

Last edited:
How's things now strongminded?
Jacob has reflux and is on gaviscon, it wasn't silent though. He started on 2 sachets per feed but did get a bit constipated and I cut it down to 1 sachet. He's fine now, poos daily and only spits up a wee bit with his wind.

Jacob has reflux and is on gaviscon, it wasn't silent though. He started on 2 sachets per feed but did get a bit constipated and I cut it down to 1 sachet. He's fine now, poos daily and only spits up a wee bit with his wind.

Hi scn. I took my little one to the hospital on Friday night as I couldnt bare to see him in agony any more and he was diagnosed finally with silent reflux. He is now on 1 sachet gaviscon and he is like a different baby. So so much more happier and calmer. I finally can see him playing and just being a happy baby. I am so glad i took him to the hospital instead of waiting to get a gp appointment. I hope he wont need any further medication and will grow out of it soon.

How long has your son been on gaviscon for? My son is 6 weeks 1 day today. Its heart braking to remember the discomfort he was in especially while sleeping he would squirm. So much better now.

Do you give the gaviscon at every feed? I was told not to give more than 6 sachets a day

Aw great news that you got the diagnosis. I did think it was SR right away but GPS are very hard to get it from. Usually it's the paeds who diagnose it either via out of hours or referral.

That's good he's much more settled now. Long may it continue for you.

We are starting to settle into a routine over here and geTring alot more awake happy periods so we are edging towards the right way. We have his 6w check in a week or so, perhaps it'll shift by then.

Xxxxx

Aw great news that you got the diagnosis. I did think it was SR right away but GPS are very hard to get it from. Usually it's the paeds who diagnose it either via out of hours or referral.

We are starting to settle into a routine over here and geTring alot more awake happy periods so we are edging towards the right way. We have his 6w check in a week or so, perhaps it'll shift by then.

Xxxxx

Hi Russell Thanks for mentioning silent reflux to me it made me look into it and thats when i decided to take him to the out of hours. Being a ftm i was clueless to what was going on. Fingers crossed the worse is over.

Good to hear you are getting into a routine and hope you have more awake happy periods. X x

Hi scn. I took my little one to the hospital on Friday night as I couldnt bare to see him in agony any more and he was diagnosed finally with silent reflux. He is now on 1 sachet gaviscon and he is like a different baby. So so much more happier and calmer. I finally can see him playing and just being a happy baby. I am so glad i took him to the hospital instead of waiting to get a gp appointment. I hope he wont need any further medication and will grow out of it soon.

How long has your son been on gaviscon for? My son is 6 weeks 1 day today. Its heart braking to remember the discomfort he was in especially while sleeping he would squirm. So much better now.

Do you give the gaviscon at every feed? I was told not to give more than 6 sachets a day

Jacob started on it at 6 weeks 3 days old but cos of his weight he could have 12 sachets a day(they are allowed 6 doses per day but over 4.5kg the dose is 2 sachets per feed, under 4.5kg the dose is 1 sachet per feed) I just worked hard at getting him to feed 4 hourly so that he could get the gaviscon with every feed, took a couple of days but you'll probably find now that he's on the gaviscon he won't want to feed as often as he'll feel better and more settled so should hopefully go a bit longer between feeds for you.
Glad you got him seen and diagnosed xx

Xxxxx

Hi Russell Thanks for mentioning silent reflux to me it made me look into it and thats when i decided to take him to the out of hours. Being a ftm i was clueless to what was going on. Fingers crossed the worse is over.

Good to hear you are getting into a routine and hope you have more awake happy periods. X x

Tbh I was the exact same the first time. Most just says oh he's eating and not being sick he's fine and it wasn't till I just frantically Googled and persisted. This time I'm totally talking myself out of it and have tried to keep in mind that Carter is a different baby so try not to compare too much - but they do have the same symptoms only Carter doesn't over eat but mainly because I don't let him. So I think that's why it's not so bad.

Because he's so settled at night it's been stopping me going to gp but I've read apparently some SR babies do sleep because they are exhausted from being so unsettled during the day so I don't like that idea. I'm giving it until the check then I'll ask for something and maybe even change him back to stage 1 because honestly that comfort is horrible smelling and just not an amazing change.

xxxxx

Xxxxx

Tbh I was the exact same the first time. Most just says oh he's eating and not being sick he's fine and it wasn't till I just frantically Googled and persisted. This time I'm totally talking myself out of it and have tried to keep in mind that Carter is a different baby so try not to compare too much - but they do have the same symptoms only Carter doesn't over eat but mainly because I don't let him. So I think that's why it's not so bad.

Because he's so settled at night it's been stopping me going to gp but I've read apparently some SR babies do sleep because they are exhausted from being so unsettled during the day so I don't like that idea. I'm giving it until the check then I'll ask for something and maybe even change him back to stage 1 because honestly that comfort is horrible smelling and just not an amazing change.

xxxxx

Yes it's best to trust your instincts. Although i didnt know about about silent reflux until a few days ago i definitely knew something wasnt right.

I am supposed to administer gaviscon at everyfeed but i am doing it at every other feed and it seems to be working fine. I spoke to the gp today and she said to carry on as i am doing it. Hopefully it will make him less constipated. He loves the Aptimel colic and constipation formula. The gaviscon makes it thicker but with a bigger teat he drinks it ok.

Hope your son is settling abit more. Babies can be so unpredictable

Yesterday was awful. Every feed was noise and taking 2-3hr to settle. Poor mite was in agony.

We went to GP who gave us gaviscon without much hassle. So far I've given it 3 feeds, the first feed was much more quiet and within 30 mins he was asleep till his next feed then he got quite unsettled but even then only took an hr and half to get down. So he went from 1030-2 and he's back down sleeping again.

I have just given it with my comfort as we just got the tin on Sunday. But I think I may switch back to stage 1 and see how we go as ideally I don't want him to remain on the comfort unless it is helping.

By god it makes the milk thick doesn't it? I will see if we get a decent poop during the night or tomorrow morning if not I'll give him some cooled boiled water. He actually sounded constipated or windy when he was unsettled tonight but didn't go. I'll see how we do tomorrow.

A few more smiles and even cooing this evening though before he kicked off for a bit but apart from this morning before gaviscon and just after 9pm he has been fairly settled. So it must have helped to a degree.

We have to revisit at the 6w check. I was trying to hold off but thankfully I went today although it's one of those things if it does sort the issue I'll be pissed at myself for not going sooner and talking myself out of it.

Hope your LO has been good toilet wise? xxxx

Yesterday was awful. Every feed was noise and taking 2-3hr to settle. Poor mite was in agony.

We went to GP who gave us gaviscon without much hassle. So far I've given it 3 feeds, the first feed was much more quiet and within 30 mins he was asleep till his next feed then he got quite unsettled but even then only took an hr and half to get down. So he went from 1030-2 and he's back down sleeping again.

I have just given it with my comfort as we just got the tin on Sunday. But I think I may switch back to stage 1 and see how we go as ideally I don't want him to remain on the comfort unless it is helping.

By god it makes the milk thick doesn't it? I will see if we get a decent poop during the night or tomorrow morning if not I'll give him some cooled boiled water. He actually sounded constipated or windy when he was unsettled tonight but didn't go. I'll see how we do tomorrow.

A few more smiles and even cooing this evening though before he kicked off for a bit but apart from this morning before gaviscon and just after 9pm he has been fairly settled. So it must have helped to a degree.

We have to revisit at the 6w check. I was trying to hold off but thankfully I went today although it's one of those things if it does sort the issue I'll be pissed at myself for not going sooner and talking myself out of it.

Hope your LO has been good toilet wise? xxxx

Its good you went to your gp sooner rather than later. Yes the gaviscon does make the milk very thick. I am having to use the size 4 teat with it and i am not giving the gaviscon every feed but every other feed. We started gaviscon late Friday night and he did a poo which was solid pebble like on sunday. Then yesterday he did a massive liquidy poo after some straining and squeezing. I have been giving him cooled boiled water before some of his feeds i think thats helped. I am also giving him only one sachet of the gaviscon rather than 2. How many are you giving your son?

Then yesterday was a difficult day i dont think it was his reflux rather than just colicky cry. He calmed down after a warm bath then startee crying again and nothing seemee to soothe him..i tried white noise and that calmed him abit and he fell asleep at 11.30pm to 1.30am then woke up for a feed and slept 2am to 4am . I gave him his feed now he didnt have much but has fallen asleep so i am hoping he will sleep for another couple of hours.

Its difficult isnt it. Just as you feel.you have figured things out and moving forward then something new happens. We just have to see this phase through i guess ans take each day as it comes. I hope there is less crying today. I read colic is at a peak at 6 weeks onwards. My son is 6weeks 5 days today.

I hope your son takes well to the gaviscon and things get better for him. Tummy massages and leg massages i find help to bring out wind..i have also been giving him gripe water now and then

We had a bad day yesterday too. It started off well but not sure if it's been too much on his bowels. First couple feeds were fine he took them well and went to sleep. Then after his bath he took 1.5hr to settle. He seemed in pain but not by reflux either. I thought he kept trying to go toilet and he was passing wind. Then last night after settling down after the 2am feed he woke at 3.30 wriggling and crying then he got his normal 6am then 9am but did a poop this morning which was like wallpaper paste.

I was giving him one each feed but today I've tried every other feed so will see if that makes a difference tonight.

I just would like the crying to stop. For him and my own sanity lol.

xxxx
xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back