Child tax credits: DO IT!

Urchin

Reaction score
Just a quick note to say make sure you are applying!

I was already getting it, but now I've just got my updated (2 children) amounts and I'm VERY happy with it :)

Any questions feel free to ask.

hi hun how much does it usualy increase?
i earn 11,000 a yr get £60 a week tax credits. wot will i get when i have baby number 2? any idea???? b nice if it doubles lol

Mine doubled but I was only getting 28 quid a week, now it's gone up to 56!

We got our assessment thing through today. Between now and April we will get just over £25 a week, then it goes down to £20 a week til December and from December we'll get about £12.50 a week.

We have applied for these and I was very impressed with the amount too!!
Thanks Tony Blair!!! He's got one thing right!!!!!

We are getting full tax credits at the minute and its gone from around £42 to £86 a week when Aimée was born, then it goes down by £10.50 when she is one!

we get £114 child tax credit for 2 and £40 working tax credit a week.

i have just added Coby and its going to go up by another £40 a week :)

sorry, don't kow anything about this?
where do you get the form to apply from?
DO they assess you on what you usually earn, or what you earn during maternity leave? I am very confused :oops:

Who can I talk to to get all info? sorry, but being French, I have no idea of how it all works here! :oops: :oops:

thanks for helping,
mel xx

melhoney said:
sorry, don't kow anything about this?
where do you get the form to apply from?
DO they assess you on what you usually earn, or what you earn during maternity leave? I am very confused :oops:

Who can I talk to to get all info? sorry, but being French, I have no idea of how it all works here! :oops: :oops:

thanks for helping,
mel xx

They will judge this years payment on what you earned LAST year.

Loads of info here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/menus/credits.htm

I sent mine off but used last years salary and then realised I;d earnt a whole lot less this year and would be earning even less the year afterwards, so I spoke to them and have had it re-evalued and the figure they came back with I am very pleased with :D They got one thing right! lets hope they can get the rest of it right too.

Im really surprised some people arent on it. We would be really stuck without it and they can only backdate it so far.

The jobcentre or inland revenue really should tell new parents about it.

My current amount which is £130 a month is based on my estimated earings for 2005 - 2006 and my self employed hubbys earnings for 2004-2005. Bit confusing to start off with but we have the hang of it now.

If anybody wants any help please pm me.

Laura.

I think they only backdate it up to when your baby is 3/4 months old?? Coz if i remember rightly i applied just in time and they backdated it and i got around £760 for one and my OH got £670 for the other!! It really does help!
So dont delay people!! claim what you are entitled to!

YAY just got my letter from them, will be getting £13.00 p/w!!

Thanks for the info Urchin.

I called the helpline and the guy said it's based on joint income? Steph - how did you manage to get one each? I'm not convinced the guy I spoke to was that informed!! He's sending me a form as I think we can apply one wee one is here but he's kind of confused me .... he also said that if you're joint income exceeds £12,500 per year you can't get working tax credits?

Anyone know if the above is correct? Perhaps I should just call back and hope I get to speak to someone else?

Thanks

Lucy
38 + 3

We get working tax and our joint income (which our tax credits were based on) was £12,500. We get nearly £22 a week working tax. But when it was worked out first based on more than this (used wrong figures when we applied) we didn't qualify....so yes he is right hun.

hth xx

Yea, I also called and the guy I talked to also said you had to have a joint income of under £55000/annum to qualify. He is also sending me the form by post.

Mel xx

Lucy... I only claim child tax credit which is £53 a week and my OH gets working tax credit which is £46 a week!
I didnt know about the joint income affecting the working tax credit?!

Thanks girls, I am always a bit suspicious of people on the end of the phone at these establishments - they make me feel like they're giving the benefits out of their own pockets!!

Thanks

Lucy
38 + 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27