Charlie weighs loads...am a little concerned

mdsremos

Reaction score
Took Charlie to the clinic today to be weighed and at 13 weeks he is now 15lb 15oz and has hit the 91st Centile :shock:
I spoke to the HV at the clinic and we have decided to move him onto stage 2 C&G Comfort as the stage 1 isnt filling him now as much as it was although he is still currently on 5 7oz bottles a day but beginning to wake in the night/earlier in the morning for a feed so the longer we can keep him just on milk the better. She also mentioned giving him more water in the day to bulk him out abit.

She did mention that as his weight is increasing (his length is also on the 91st centile at 64cm!) that he probably wont wait until 6 months for weaning which is a BIG coincidence as we have a HV visiting us at home tomorrow afternoon to discuss weaning....how strange is that seeing as the appointment was confirmed last week, did wonder if someone was reviewing his charts and realised he might need weaning earlier?????
Anyone else in this situation????

Hiya
My first, Mason was above the 99th centile! He was exclusivley breastfed too so there was nothing I could do about it even if I wanted to.

At that time everyone was told to wean at 4 months too so that's what I did.

I wouldn't worry about it at all, as soon as he gets moving the weight drops off.

I wouldnt be too worried, honestly. My Jess was always a big girl, ate loads as a baby, drank more than her fair hare of milk and put the weight right on but she always followed the line on the centile chart despite being a good bit above average. When she was about just over 1 and a half she had reached 2 stone. That coincided with her starting walking and the weight slowed right down. She has never lost it but it really slowed down and so did her appetite. She is 2 now and is getting more of a toddler shape and quite leggy.

I wouldn't be to worried! My daughter was off the chart completly when she was a baby! :shock: She was on 6 9oz bottles a day so i weaned her a 4 months like was recommended then. She is 6 now and is back on the chart but on the 99st centile but she is fine. Not fat at all just big built.

hni hun dont worry Harley is 13weeks old and was 5weeks prem he was born only weighing 6lb and is now 15lb 6oz, well that was 2 weeks ago, lol my fatty. i lurve his rolls

how many oz is he having? Harley has 9oz every 3hrs

Dionne,

Charlie has stage 1 C&G comfort 7oz every 4 hours. Having spoken with the HV today (she was the most helpful we've had so far) she suggested that we switch to Stage 2 comfort which he should take around 6oz per bottle as its thicker (she was right, he only manages 6 then is full up) and even if he has 5 or 6 bottles a day he would be more satisfied on less milk which should hopefully help to bring him down to the 75th centile. Advised to weigh him and have him measured at 16 weeks to check how he's doing! She did say at first that we should try and get him down to about the 50th centile but then checked his length measurement which I did a few days ago which was 64cm on the 91st centile so she realised he is longer than average....he has also started to roll over (although he gets his arm stuck under him) and doing a pincer grip (finger and thumb) to try and pick things up which is quite advanced for his age :clap:

Harley is one the normal cow and gate i tryed him with the thicker one but he didnt agree with it was sick lots and gave him wind. no one has ever mentioned harls weight to me???? wonder if i should be aiming to get him down to the average weight??? he does look well above though because on his chart he is 13weeks but his weight is being plotted on the 8week bit to take away the fact he was early. he does look fat and way fatter then Dior lol i like it but if your HV is concerned its worrying me abit i dont want harl to be unhealthly over weight?

ahhh started rolling over?? thats cute, Harley is no way near that hes only just started proply smiling and coo's a lil now which i think is so cute :angel:

don't worry hun! ruben was 15lbs 14oz at 13 weeks. at 17 weeks he was 18lbs 6oz and had jumped up to midway between the 91st and 98th centiles. now he's just above the 98th centile... haven't officially had him weighed since 17 weeks buth plonked him on the digital bathroom scales and he was approx 22 lbs at 24 weeks (yesterday) :shock: if he carries on like this he will be off the scale soon!

he had his first taste of solids at 16 weeks as milk alone was not satisfying him. he was 100% breastfed at that time, and even top ups of formula did not settle his appetite, he'd drain both boobies, a 9oz bottle and still want more after a couple of hours... he took to solids straight away, and although i increased the amounts i have held back a little, i have just introduced lunch so he is now on 3 meals a day (breakfast at 7, a small lunch around 12.30, dinner at 5), 4 breastfeeds (before breakfast at 7am, at 10.30-11ish, at 2ish and at 5ish just before dinner) and a 6oz bottle just before bed... phew.... he also has a fair bit of water during the day, especially in this heat.

i did worry that he was going to become a huge obese baby, but he just looks chubby. his cousin was exactly the same though and he is now a very active skinny 7-year old! so i guess he'll slim down as he gets more active.

we can't let them go hungry though can we???

don't worry about it hassan was also like that above average on the charts but now that he's moving around so much and crawling, all the weight is dropping off!

I didnt mean to worry you Dionne its just one of those things and the HV did say she is not overally worried about Charlies weight but it would be a good idea to try the 2nd stage milk to try and keep him on milk alone as long as possible and delay having to wean him too early!
She said she was going to report back to the main HV that Charlie is a gorgeous, happy and healthy little boy which really pleased mean and means we must be doing something right.
Harley is beautiful and also looks happy and healthy from the piccies you post so dont worry about it!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back