Weight Gain

Roo3

Reaction score
I've just had Jake weighed and he now weighs in at 15lbs 8ozs and is 8 weeks and 1 day old.
When he was born he was 9lbs 5ozs and was on the 91st centile. Today he's jumped to above the 98th. Should I be worried?
The HV has told me to take him back in 2 weeks to get him checked again as she seemed to be a bit worried about him gaining so much. ( He was last weighed 3 weeks ago at 13lbs 1ozs.)
He has about 6 bottles of Aptamil a day and drinks anywhere between 4 and 6ozs per bottle. I've been keeping a note for the past week and he's been drinking anywhere between 26 and 32ozs a day. Is this too much milk?

If he's on the near highest percentile he'll need loads of food surely? Once he's moving more the weight gain will slow down x

I don't think he is drinking too much to be honest , 6 feeds is not many for his age, even if slightly larger feeds , every baby is different , and good they are checking on him, but they all have spurts and plateaus in weight.

For example Devon was only 6lb 6oz at birth but still went up to 11lb 14 oz at 8 weeks, so good gain, but now at 30 weeks weighs 18 lb 5 oz , he was last weighted at 24 weeks and was 15lb 5 -so has slowed right down as his percentile curve does- he is near 75th percentile.

Your baby Jake was 9lb 5oz at birth which is on the bigger size, and so only natural he continues on his current percentile, as he gets older , he will slow down, have a look at the weights against the 98 percentile curve and you can see what he would be weighing in a few weeks.

I don't thnk they would worry too much as long as he is eating a normal amount for his age and he sticks to his curve ok. He will plateau more when he starts solid foods as its less fatty than milk.

Try not to worry

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back