Charlie referral to Development Clinic re. Weight! Updated!

mdsremos

Reaction score
I am so cross (really dont like this HV who has an obsession with babies weight) yet glad in a way that Charlie is being referred to the GP Baby Developmental Clinic as his weight has shot up the scale to the 98th centile. :shock:
We started weaning Charlie at 17.5 weeks and he remained steady until 21 weeks on the 91st centile and suddenly he has just shot up the scale and was weighed at the clinic yesterday at 24 weeks at 21.02lbs and the HV put a note in his red book for me to ring them to discuss as it was my Childminer who took him.
I have gone through all of the food and milk intake for the day and the HV sees no problems - he has on average 24oz milk, 2 petit filous yogurts as snacks, baby porridge or similar for brekkie and 4-6 cubes of fruit/veg for tea....nothing extravagent there so she is concerned something is amiss and we dont want him going off the scale.
We are really worried but know we are doing nothing wrong and he is a very happy and lively little boy who is into everything and quite advanced for his age seeing as he has been rolling over since he was just 13 weeks!
Are we worrying for nothing or do you think something might be wrong?

All i can say is try not to worry im sure these HV dont have a clue half the time, my son weighted about 23b at the same age as your baby, my gran had 15lb babies at birth. I dont even know what Kaiden weighs now but hes never been covered with huge rolls of fat or anything. Hes at the 100th centile i think and thats for height too, and Ive never been told to take him to see anyone, my cousins baby has just turned two and hes 3 and a half stone, all babies are different, it depends on the size of the parents sometimes too. Ive posted here several times about Kaiden being so big and somone gave me good advise that put me at ease, im sorry I cant remember the girls name, but her baby (a girl) was 28 lb at Kaidens age or summit similiar to that and her baby was very active and healthy etc. Kaiden was sitting up at 13 weeks and is really advanced too almost walking himslef now at 8 months, and at your babys age he was drinking 50oz plus food, more active a baby is the more they eat i suppose. I think babies are gettin bigger and they should reevaluate the centile thing XkelX

i totally agree kas - they make you worry about every little thing and you never know what is serious and whats not! :roll:

like Kas said hun try not to worry - if there is a problem (and it sounds like its just how he is hun) then at least its being dealt with. i'm sure you'll get it checked out and if there is something wrong they will deal with it. or he'll be fine and you can stop worrying - about that at least, dont think we ever stop worrying about them totally! knowledge is easier to deal with than all the hundreds of things you think it might be!

:hug:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ruben had his check up yesterday and as he's now off the scale for weight :shock: (was on 91st at birth) they wanted me to come back every month for weighing (i'd not had him weighed officially since 17 weeks). i told them to stuff it basically, he eats healthy stuff, 3 meals a day and has 3 BFs a day plus a small bottle at bedtime. he is just getting more active and i am convinced it will fall off.

what i don't get is how can they get the full picture without measuring their height as well????

my friend very kindly sent me these links from the british medical journal, which basically indicate that the charts they use are obsolete and should not be used. instead BMI should be used, where both height and weight is taken into consideration. on the BMI chart (you'll find it in one of the links) ruben was NOT off the chart, still a big boy but not OFF the chart!

http://*******.com/hpyd7
http://*******.com/zl798
http://*******.com/eluak

it infuriates me, and i have chosen to ignore them. if ruben still is gaining too much weight and is downright FAT when he is 12-18 months, then i'll think about having it checked, but as far as i'm concerned he is happy and healthy and those extra lbs will come off as he gets more mobile and active. his cousin was exactly the same and is now a skinny 7-year old. the same also applies to at least 4 other children i know, they were huge babies, but by the time they were two they were slim.

My son is always under weight when I take him to the clinic. I don't bother anymore because the assistant always insisted that I feed him properly which p*ssed me off beyond belief, he eats like a horse but just doesn't gain weight fast which is like all my dh's family. Whenever I see my HV though she says he's doing brilliantly and he's really advanced for his age (walked before he was 10 months). I think it's all precaution but I don't think they should worry mum's like this, every baby is different they can't base it on an average because there is no average!

Bloody HV's :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: They wind me up something chronic.
Tell her to go stuff herself, if he is eating healthily then he is fine! The lines on them book are so misleading, I hate the red book, it does nothing for our confidence with our children. If they want them to be measured they should keep the charts themselves so not to worry us.

It just seems if your child isn't 'perfect' then it's not good enough for HV's. :evil:

I am sure Charlie is fine hun. Some HV's tend to make moutains out of molehills.

Charlie was weighed on Tuesday and seeing as we have just dropped all of his snacks (and he still isnt deprived) and has only put on 3oz!!!! Goes to show that sometimes HV can be a little bit right..not going to admit that very often.
Will see how he goes for the next few weeks but he has come off the 98th centile and will soon be moving to 3 meals a day seeing as he is 6 months old on Monday....will keep you updated.

Harley was 6months old yesterday he weighs 21lb (2weeks ago he was last weighed) and he was born early weighing 6lb and my HV has not said a thing :?
and he only has milk and a few spoonfulls of solids a day :? wonder if i should say i am concerned?

hope Charlie is ok :hug:

When my eldest was a baby she was completly off the chart! They did moan at me a bit but you can't starve your baby. She stayed off the chart till she was about 4. She is now 6 and has stayed the same weight for 2 years so is coming back to normal levels. I don't know what they expect you to do with babies,its not like i fed her chips everyday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back