Cats

Kim

Reaction score
Not really sure where to post this so I've put it in here.

My problem is that I am 30 weeks pregnant and have 3 cats. One of them is very cheeky and I have caught her in the cot twice. I always shut the door to the baby's room but as we live with OH's 2 other sons, it's not always possible to ensure that they do the same (you need to walk through baby's room to get to one of the other rooms). Does anyone know if cats are harmful to babies and how to stop them going near the baby's things?

I can't shut the door when the baby is in the cot so how do I stop the cat joining her for a cuddle??!!

It's really stressing me out and I really don't want to have to get rid of my cats...

I'd just be very careful as I've heard of cats and dogs smoothering young infants.x

hi ive got 4 cats so understand the worries you are going through when i had my son you could buy special nets to cover moses baskets not sure about cot ones though it will be something i will be looking into this time
there is a risk that cat will lie on babys face if gets chance so please look into getting some sort of protection for this if i find anything in the meantime i will let you know xxxx

Thanks a lot Rach I will get one of those.

yes i would say just be careful...i havent actually got a cat myself but my parents have and when we go to visit them the cat always looks in the car seat as if to say hmmm whats in there....shes a very loving cat so wouldnt hurt anyone, but when my mum was holding jamie when he was crying..the cat kind of lunged at him as i think she thought he was actacking my mum!!! so tryed to save her!!!!!! lol
However though i think that in the end they would get used to it?!!

This might sound silly, but I've heard that a good way to stop cats going where you don't want them to is to use balloons. If you put some balloons in and around the cot the cat won't be able to resist investigating with her claws and the resulting bang will put her off going anywhere near the cot, or possibly the room, again. You can do the same kind of aversion training with a water pistol, but you'd have to lie in wait for the cat...

I went out at the weekend and bought 2 cat nets for this very reason. We bought one for the cot bet and one for the crib/buggy

We actually spent more money on safety stuff than nice stuff on sunday!

You can apparently also get catches that only allow the nursery door to be opened by a couple of inches so that you can hear the baby but the cat can't get in. I haven't found them anywhere yet

Sarah - Mind you, cats have the amazing ability to fillet themselves to an inch thin :lol:

They hate tin foil so if you put some in the cot now before the baby's born it should put them off so they don't get into the habit of it.

They also hate citrus so you could try rubbing lemon juice on the legs of the cot or on the bottom of the nursery door.

Too keep the cats off my hamster I used to get a plant sprayer and squirt them with a small amount of water. That was quite effective :twisted:

That said I love cats. My aunty had 3 when she had my cousin and they never caused any problem. Still, best to be safe.

Yep water is a good way to stop them, we use it to keep them off the kitchen sides and have found it quite effective. Just buy a cheap water pistol or something and spray them on their body. The citrus thing is also meant to be good. I know that when I eat oranges and leave the peel on the side of the sofa they hate it.

Thanks for the link Rach, will be buying one of them x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back